Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

People not putting dumbbells back, or leaving their weights on the bar DOES MY NUT. It is such selfish, ignorant behavior. Saw one fella leave 300kg on the leg press once - so the next person up would have to derack 6 25kg weights each side. Absolutely horrible behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

People not putting dumbbells back, or leaving their weights on the bar DOES MY NUT. It is such selfish, ignorant behavior. Saw one fella leave 300kg on the leg press once - so the next person up would have to derack 6 25kg weights each side. Absolutely horrible behaviour.

This seems to be the norm in my gym. Dumbbells are mostly put back but nobody ever strips their bars when they're finished.

used to be a lad in my old gym did that but would walk round gathering up all the 20/25kg plates and throwing them beside the press! then he'd do his workout with massive weight whilst everyone scavenged for some 20's. He never even used half of his cache, and if you asked mid set he'd say "I'm oozing all off dem"

OOOkkkkay then!! strange alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

This one has started to show up to the local CC gym the past 2 weeks and the smell of B.O off her is woeful. I mean, really really rank. You can smell it everywhere, hits the back of the throat. The type that hasn't showered in weeks. I don't mind, but she was there again this morning with someone, I assume must have been her daughter and you'd think she'd tell her to clean herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

This one has started to show up to the local CC gym the past 2 weeks and the smell of B.O off her is woeful. I mean, really really rank. You can smell it everywhere, hits the back of the throat. The type that hasn't showered in weeks. I don't mind, but she was there again this morning with someone, I assume must have been her daughter and you'd think she'd tell her to clean herself.

Fella in my gym stinks, always wears what look like the same clothes so I'm guessing they're not washed after each use. It's beyond BO, that horrible gagging smell. Doesn't use a towel either, brings a gammy bit of tissue around to half wipe down machines and benches.

The usual not putting equipment away and hogging it are the most annoying things. The general odd behaviour is more bemusing than annoying. One lad only uses the water fountain and never brings a bottle, seems strange to me, spends half his time walking over and back from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Fella in my gym stinks, always wears what look like the same clothes so I'm guessing they're not washed after each use. It's beyond BO, that horrible gagging smell. Doesn't use a towel either, brings a gammy bit of tissue around to half wipe down machines and benches.

How on earth could a person possibly be unaware of that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    How on earth could a person possibly be unaware of that??

It's something I ask myself every time I smell him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Drives me mad when people don't leave back Dumbbells in their numerical orders. 2, 4, 6 , 8, 10 etc. I once saw a guy leave a pair of 6's where there should've been 10's. Asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Fella in my gym stinks, always wears what look like the same clothes so I'm guessing they're not washed after each use. It's beyond BO, that horrible gagging smell.

We have an older gentleman like this. I appreciate he's in his 60s and is trying but wears the same clothes and the smell is rank. He does a stint on the cross trainers everyday and does a little chicken wing flapping of the arms for some reason, this wafts the smell outwards. I've had to move machine more than once. It is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Drives me mad when people don't leave back Dumbbells in their numerical orders. 2, 4, 6 , 8, 10 etc. I once saw a guy leave a pair of 6's where there should've been 10's. Asshole.

My gym would drive you insane so. No order at all and you might find each half of the pair at opposite ends of the dumbbell rack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

girls that wear makeup and run on the threadmil in their sports bras and short shorts in a baseball cap looking like a fecking Nike ad... without an ounce of sweat or hair out of place.

cut to me battered in the corner shirt soaked, hair frizzy or stuck to my face, no makeup and definitely not looking cute.

thats more me being bitter than annoying though... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

I've given up on annoying behaviour annoying me with one exception - not unloading weights from the bars.

In our gym you'd only do that once anyway as you would be pull up on it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Maybe people have been confusing 'roid rage' with lads going around the gym being annoyed at everything all this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dtp1979 wrote: »

lol what, there's an order? Any gym I have been in has been a ballet of chaos. You count your lucky stars if there is a matching pair side-by-side.

Zillah wrote: »
    lol what, there's an order? Any gym I have been in has been a ballet of chaos. You count your lucky stars if there is a matching pair side-by-side.

Ha I thought it was obvious I was taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Lads in the changing room talking about "training" !!

What were you training for exactly ??

D3V!L wrote: »
    Lads in the changing room talking about "training" !!

What were you training for exactly ??

Strength, fitness, endurance, gaa, boxing, mma. Many more I'm sure

Maybe people have been confusing 'roid rage' with lads going around the gym being annoyed at everything all this time.

oooh ROID RAGE, dare you speak of that we do not mention!!!

Utah wrote: »
    We have an older gentleman like this. I appreciate he's in his 60s and is trying but wears the same clothes and the smell is rank. He does a stint on the cross trainers everyday and does a little chicken wing flapping of the arms for some reason, this wafts the smell outwards. I've had to move machine more than once. It is disgusting.

yeah I'm torn here, dunno why. You say that and I imagine these older men I see, a little lonely, maybe just buried their wife and are now trying to fill the days and nights. They come to a gym, totally unaware of etiquette, trying to keep fit and maybe interact with the odd person. These guys may have had their wife look after the whole clean clothes thing, and don't realise it as the oul olfactory sense begins to diminish in twilight years!!

I see these guys and feel like just saying hello, I can take the rank smell to be honest. It's the guys my age who really ought to know better and are just flat out shocking in terms of hygiene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rusty cole wrote: »
    oooh ROID RAGE, dare you speak of that we do not mention!!!

The lads you're thinking are on steroids just don't like the BO either.

The lads you're thinking are on steroids just don't like the BO either.

don't get that one to be honest. I didn't say anyone was on steroids. someone mentioned roid rage, hence my comment. sorry if I'm missing something there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

rusty cole wrote: »
    yeah I'm torn here, dunno why. You say that and I imagine these older men I see, a little lonely, maybe just buried their wife and are now trying to fill the days and nights. They come to a gym, totally unaware of etiquette, trying to keep fit and maybe interact with the odd person. These guys may have had their wife look after the whole clean clothes thing, and don't realise it as the oul olfactory sense begins to diminish in twilight years!!

I see these guys and feel like just saying hello, I can take the rank smell to be honest. It's the guys my age who really ought to know better and are just flat out shocking in terms of hygiene.

You sound more Michael Stipe/Natalie Merchant than Rusty Cole...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIpyB_ZtJ0&list=RDl4pE9-_gL88&index=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We've a guy in one of the Judo clubs I train in.

He rarely washes his gear, and blows his nose into the inside of his Judogi (jacket) so its all crusty.

One day a few summers ago he dragged his jacket out of his bag and said "aw crap, its still wet.. One of the lads, obviously shocked exclaimed 'WHAT, YOU WASHED YOUR GEAR?"... Mr Miyagi replies with "No, I forget to take it out of my bag on Thursday (this was the following Monday evening. It had lay in sweat in a bag for four days!!).

When it comes to gym filth my biggest thing wouldn't be people not using towels.. Nope, the one which wobbles MY tits more is fookers spitting or snot'ing into the water fossett :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

He rarely washes his gear, and blows his nose into the inside of his Judogi (jacket) so its all crusty.

One day a few summers ago he dragged his jacket out of his bag and said "aw crap, its still wet.. One of the lads, obviously shocked exclaimed 'WHAT, YOU WASHED YOUR GEAR?"... Mr Miyagi replies with "No, I forget to take it out of my bag on Thursday (this was the following Monday evening. It had lay in sweat in a bag for four days!!).

When it comes to gym filth my biggest thing wouldn't be people not using towels.. Nope, the one which wobbles MY tits more is fookers spitting or snot'ing into the water fossett :mad:

Ah jaysis... on what planet could someone possibly think this is acceptable f*cking behaviour??

I've seen a lad in FlyeFit doing it in the sink in the dressers twice in recent weeks and even that turns me stomach - but in the drinking water fountain?? C'mon man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

whippet wrote: »
    I've given up on annoying behaviour annoying me with one exception - not unloading weights from the bars.

In our gym you'd only do that once anyway as you would be pull up on it immediately.

The gym I used to go to, you got punished for not tidying up after yourself, be it bars/ boxes/ any equipment you used, it was funny for a few weeks when they started doing it, but people soon got into the habit. As laughable (and juvenile) and all as it sounds, it actually got everyone into the really good habit of doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

mcgiggles wrote: »
    The gym I used to go to, you got punished for not tidying up after yourself, be it bars/ boxes/ any equipment you used, it was funny for a few weeks when they started doing it, but people soon got into the habit. As laughable (and juvenile) and all as it sounds, it actually got everyone into the really good habit of doing it!

They do this a lot at Crossfit boxes. Name and shame members on social media - the more likes the picture gets, the more burpies/push ups/etc that the offending member has to do.

haha, yeah it was in a Crossfit box actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

granty1987 wrote: »
    They do this a lot at Crossfit boxes. Name and shame members on social media - the more likes the picture gets, the more burpies/push ups/etc that the offending member has to do.

Not to descend into a Crosdfit rant but that's pathetic. Effectively bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

i've seen some of this **** go viral, gyms from the Uk or US.. 10 burpees for each like or 10 pushups for each comment because Andy didnt put his bar or ball or kettlebell away.

get a grip like have a quiet word with the member and tell them to put their **** away, if it continues stop them coming.

crossfits supposed to be a supportive community not a name and shame someone for not putting a kettle bell away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I personally think it's a great idea (and I'm not part of any Crossfit gyms). From what I gather, members generally know each other in the place and it's a bit of fun which in turn makes people more mindful of cleaning up after themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Name and shame? Really? It sounds like it's more of a bit of a piss take than bullying. Bullying seems like such a leap here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's all part of their absurd cult-like approach to fitness. Public shaming is pretty core to cult mentality, right along with simultaneous and paradoxical worthlessness and superiority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Zillah wrote: »
    It's all part of their absurd cult-like approach to fitness. Public shaming is pretty core to cult mentality, right along with simultaneous and paradoxical worthlessness and superiority.

Got an ex who's a crossfit trainer? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Name and shame? Really? It sounds like it's more of a bit of a piss take than bullying. Bullying seems like such a leap here!

It's the Internet.

A place where 5s become 7s. And 7s become playboy models.

BDJW wrote: »
    I personally think it's a great idea (and I'm not part of any Crossfit gyms). From what I gather, members generally know each other in the place and it's a bit of fun which in turn makes people more mindful of cleaning up after themselves.
    @BDJW: thats what ours was.. it wasn't a public "name and shame" it was on a whiteboard in the box only members saw and we all knew each other and ripped the piss of each other, it was effective.. people tidied up!

anyhoo.... back to the funny/ creepy/ boards-worthy stories :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Boxing Gym Woes:

1) Armchair coaches. My missus is a competitive boxer and I was supervising her sparring another woman before her last fight. Needless to say, because she's a woman some idiot feels entitled to jump on the ring apron and start shouting patronising, bullsh*t instructions at her - think "use your jab little lady". This despite the fact your man had never been in a fight in his life. I literally had to tell him to shut up and get off the ring.

2) Posing. We've recently had an influx of gobsh*tes who seem to think they're Sugar Ray Leonard when the reality is they wouldn't knock the fluff off of a cappuccino. I had to kick one of them out of the gym the other week for calling a 16 year old a "p*ssy" in the ring during the lad's first ever sparring session - the fella in question is in his mid-30s by the way. The week after he was doing the bollix in a similar manner and got knocked out by a fat 55 year old. Never saw him again.

3) Creeps. Again, a number of other women seem to be the focus of oddballs who deem any woman in a gym as fair game to be sexually harassed. Something, which other coaches are either oblivious too or at worst passively facilitating.

4) Dirty animals. People p*ssing all over the toilet seat. Saw one lad blow his nose on the ring tarp the other day. Head coach is a tightfisted sh*t and won't hire a cleaner. Or shock horror, clean the f*cking gaff himself.

5) Clients who won't listen to coaching. "If you're right handed mate can you stand with your left foot forward for a second..."

Oh you won't? You feel more comfortable the other way? Keeping your righthand back is stupid is it? I agree mate. F*ck boxing technique. It's clear as day you've deduced the past 100 years of sporting method was bogus here on your third session. Good man. Next stop Tokyo 2020.

on the hygiene thing.

I'm getting ready in the gym throwing on my runners and I see this lad who walks into the jacks barefoot (cubicle) and has a piss!!

now besides the fact that it's just disgusting walking In your bare feet using the gym and not swimming pool toilet!! he's standing in Piss!!

now the shyte part. I go off onto the treadmill only to look down and see him strolling into the sauna!! pissy feet and all!!

there's no bleach bath in the gym and his hair was bone dry as was his shorts!! Mank Bag of the highest order!! he probably spits in the sauna too when he's alone! or water cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Slab_Murphy

FTA69 wrote: »
    Boxing Gym Woes:
    This has got to be west Dublin. What do you expect? You're dealing with people who couldn't care less about the state they leave their house in, let alone a boxing club! Animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

One day a few summers ago he dragged his jacket out of his bag and said "aw crap, its still wet.. One of the lads, obviously shocked exclaimed 'WHAT, YOU WASHED YOUR GEAR?"... Mr Miyagi replies with "No, I forget to take it out of my bag on Thursday (this was the following Monday evening. It had lay in sweat in a bag for four days!!)

That is easily one of the most disgusting things i've ever heard, if I get even the slightest hint of an odor off my bjj gear before training it almost turns me off going in case anyone thinks i'm a smelly git!

This has got to be west Dublin. What do you expect? You're dealing with people who couldn't care less about the state they leave their house in, let alone a boxing club! Animals

North London actually. Our gym has two branches, the only reason we're all at this rubbish one is because a coach who used to work with us got the sack and burnt the other one to the ground.

Does petrol bombing the gym count as annoying gym behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Does petrol bombing the gym count as annoying gym behaviour?

It seems to be becoming a trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Boxing Gym Woes:
    Man that's crazy.
    I go to an MMA gym and it's the polar opposite. A new (or any) guy would never presume to give advice to one of the competitive females.
    Generally people realise they are clueless and that the established coaches know what they are doing.
    Nobody wears shoes on the mats, let alone wipe their nose on it.

Occasionally we get the odd hero turning up. Background in rugby or AFL and thinks he'll tackle his way to glory. But one round with a guy half his size and he realizes its a different kettle of fish.

Mellor wrote: »
    Man that's crazy.
    I go to an MMA gym and it's the polar opposite. A new (or any) guy would never presume to give advice to one of the competitive females.
    Generally people realise they are clueless and that the established coaches know what they are doing.
    Nobody wears shoes on the mats, let alone wipe their nose on it.

Occasionally we get the odd hero turning up. Background in rugby or AFL and thinks he'll tackle his way to glory. But one round with a guy half his size and he realizes its a different kettle of fish.

I wouldn't mind the shoes on the mats here as we're a boxing gym at the end of the day (no grappling classes either) and you need to be in your boots to box. Provided they're swept and mopped every couple of days that is - which of course ours aren't. At all.

Last year I was doing push-ups and was greeted with a smear of dog-sh*t two inches from my face. Just what you want after a hard session, a giant inhalation of fetid excrement that some animal dragged in after him.

The toilets now look like something out of a Viet Cong detention camp. Apparently the head coach "isn't a f*cking cleaner" and "we should be working together to keep the place tidy". F*ck that. I spend every Sunday morning for free working with recidivist youth offenders, hyperactive Traveller kids and a United Nations worth of sullen teenage boys. I'll be shagged twice if I'm doing cleaning on top of it.

Put simply the gym is a joke and I'll be out the gap in a month or so. Thank God.

I wouldn't mind the shoes on the mats here as we're a boxing gym at the end of the day (no grappling classes either) and you need to be in your boots to box. Provided they're swept and mopped every couple of days that is - which of course ours aren't. At all.

Yeah, mainly a grappling thing. Shoe themselves aren't an issue, but they drag in. I have wrestling boots for on the mats only.

The way we explain it to new people. Wherever you put your feet on the mats, will be at some point be where you put your face.
    So please walk around the pissy bathroom floor barefoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

A group of 4 come into my gym, 2 fellas and 2 women and one of them has a speaker connected to their phone pumping out their own music (cringey rap gangsta' sh!te no less). It's loud enough to the extent that you'd think it was the normal gym music as it drowns out the music from the televisions in there. To be fair, they're usually there early around 5-6am so they often have the place to themselves (or just myself there) but last Saturday morning around 10am they were at it again. Obviously this time the gym was a good bit busier. Like, it's not really a big deal but it just makes me wonder how people think it's acceptable to just push their music over everybody in the gym? Are they not any way self aware?

Another thing that bugs me is when they run boot camps in there. My gym is small enough so even a small group of 5 or 6 people take up half the gym. It's frustrating if I need to use, for example, the cables as this seems to be one bit of equipment they're always using and because they do a circuit routine, the cables are constantly in use (only one cable machine in the gym).

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I'm assuming its the gyms policy but a PT came up to me and said no pictures are allowed in the gym the other day.

a) I was filming my squatting form for the first time ever as I wanted to work on a few things
    b) It was pointed directly at the squat rack with no one else in view so I was hardly a rowdy rowdy peeper
    c) The amount of people taking selfies in there

I did it anyways, and noticed two big things in my form so I learned a lot from it. I know why he said it, but it still irked me

Cake Man wrote: »
    A group of 4 come into my gym, 2 fellas and 2 women and one of them has a speaker connected to their phone pumping out their own music (cringey rap gangsta' sh!te no less). It's loud enough to the extent that you'd think it was the normal gym music as it drowns out the music from the televisions in there. To be fair, they're usually there early around 5-6am so they often have the place to themselves (or just myself there) but last Saturday morning around 10am they were at it again. Obviously this time the gym was a good bit busier. Like, it's not really a big deal but it just makes me wonder how people think it's acceptable to just push their music over everybody in the gym? Are they not any way self aware?

Another thing that bugs me is when they run boot camps in there. My gym is small enough so even a small group of 5 or 6 people take up half the gym. It's frustrating if I need to use, for example, the cables as this seems to be one bit of equipment they're always using and because they do a circuit routine, the cables are constantly in use (only one cable machine in the gym).

You really need to find s new gym mate :D:D

Had a pair of trainers that were so so moody and immature, they were like the opposite of what trainers should be like, they nearly begrudged you if you got on well! My friend had to leave the gym because he was going back to college and couldn't afford it, instead of talking to him and trying to come up with a solution to keep him in their gym, they stopped talking to him and cut him out of groups and facebook when he joined another gym that gave him a good student price!

granty1987 wrote: »
    I'm assuming its the gyms policy but a PT came up to me and said no pictures are allowed in the gym the other day.

a) I was filming my squatting form for the first time ever as I wanted to work on a few things
    b) It was pointed directly at the squat rack with no one else in view so I was hardly a rowdy rowdy peeper
    c) The amount of people taking selfies in there

I did it anyways, and noticed two big things in my form so I learned a lot from it. I know why he said it, but it still irked me

by filming your squatting form you mean some young wans squat IN form!!!
    peeper mcperve :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Had a pair of trainers that were so so moody and immature, they were like the opposite of what trainers should be like, they nearly begrudged you if you got on well! My friend had to leave the gym because he was going back to college and couldn't afford it, instead of talking to him and trying to come up with a solution to keep him in their gym, they stopped talking to him and cut him out of groups and facebook when he joined another gym that gave him a good student price!

In fairness, it's their job. It's how they put food on the table. If they start cutting side deals, everyone will look for one, and where does that stop?

We tend to remove people from our private groups too when they leave the gym.

If someone leaves on "good terms" (eg we have a lot of students train over the summer and leave when college starts back cos of funds etc like you outlined) we tend to leave em in the groups.

But if someone just stops showing up and starts training elsewhere or whatever, of course we're going to remove them from a beneficial resource other members are paying for.

Advertisement