Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Pats / Marino

Options
  • 22-10-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I know this is a strange request but can any students attending the above or had attended write out a brief schedule of how things happen during the school year?

I know that
    a) you have to do TP
    b) you have to go to the gaeltacht

What else is involved? When do you book the place for the gaeltacht?

Is the gaeltacht during the summer months?

I am hoping to enter in Sept 16 and I would like to be as prepared as I can financially and otherwise - I have a young child who will need to be minded while attending the gaeltacht etc.

It also says on the website that it's usually around 30 hours of classes each week. How true is this? (Obviously I know it will change every year).

I have emailed the colleges too but they usually say to refer to the website.

Information from an experienced student would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Hi,

Are you doing the Undergrad or Postgrad? I can only speak for the undergrad in Pats (and I graduated when it was still only a 3 year course), however from what I remember:

Gaeltacht is during the summer (it was July when I went).

Teaching practice was in September and March.

The rest of the year consisted of lectures and workshops - most days I was in from 9 or 10 am until 6, apart from Friday when I was usually until 1 or 2. It was definitely over 30 hours when I was there, but as it's now a 4 year course as opposed to a 3 year course I would say that sounds about right!

My information is somewhat dated, having graduated in 2011 but I hope that helps! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maigheo2014

Hi,
    Things have slightly changed in Pats since 2011 I'm afraid!! :(
    If it's the undergrad you're talking about, TP is spaced out for 9 Fridays from Jan-May and one block week in June! Gaeltacht is for two weeks at Easter, which you apply for mid November of your first year (College is very helpful with this). Based on my first year, semester one seemed to have a lot more hours- definitely up on 26-29 hours.. However, semester two was nice as we finished up at around 2 on thursdays in order to travel home for placement!
    If it's the postgrad you are enquiring about I amn't 100% sure but I think their Gaeltacht placement is first thing in September before they even step into the college.. Now don't take my word as I am not fully sure!!
    Hope this is of some help to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

The postgrad has changed, in the 18 month course you could either do two sessions of two weeks at easter, or one in August. 30 hours is very realistic unfortunately, it's a very heavy workload. When you are on TP you could easily be up until midnight working on plans, resources and reflections.

Advertisement