Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changed dogs food - need advice

• 22-10-2015 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all, we changed our Jack Russell's food during the summer. It was a more accidental change than a purpose made change. She's a 9 year old jr and we only have her 4 years and prior to that she was fed tinned food so we tried to change and the best compromise we do was half and half but a few months back we purchased a brand which I've now been told is like giving skittles to a baby so we've stopped immediately.

However, the poor dog has a really bad itch and I'm just wondering is there anything I can do to help her? It has eased up a lot in the last few days since we discontinued her dry food brand so I'm just wondering what I can do to further help her.

Also, is there any recommendations of a food I could give her now at her age that won't upset her too much?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

What foods was/is she on now OP? And what would your price range be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

She was on the tesco finest pouch and bakers dry food. And now she's on just the pouch. I'm prepared to spend that bit extra on her food, I just don't know what to buy/make for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Allirog wrote: »
    She was on the tesco finest pouch and bakers dry food. And now she's on just the pouch. I'm prepared to spend that bit extra on her food, I just don't know what to buy/make for her

Op you really need to take her off all supermarket dog food - its very poor quality and full of bulking agents and additives. This includes all tesco, dunnes, aldi and lidl...all supermarket dry / wet food. as a general rule 99% of all brands sold in your average supermarket is muck

you really need to give us an approx budget so we can recommend some decent food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Welcome to the world of Zooplus users :)

Anyway, if you want to feed wet try Rocco on; quite cheap and no fillers or if you prefer dry then get something grain free such as Taste of the Wild or Wolf of Wilderness (make sure you check feeding guidelines as they tend to require a lot less compared to Supermarket brands!).

€15/€20 a week?

I'm willing to pay anything and go anywhere today to buy her what's best for her!

• Advertisement

Allirog wrote: »
    €15/€20 a week?

I'm willing to pay anything and go anywhere today to buy her what's best for her!

€20 a week is alot OP a 15kg bag for approx €65/€70 should last your jack russell 2/3 months.

have you considered a grain free diet?

I feed my guy Taste of the wild i buy all my dog supplies on here:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild/231924

takes around 1 week for delivery... your best bet is order the food and wiat for it.. feed her boiled rice / chicken while you wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Also from zooplus, Rocco and Lukullus wet food is superb and reasonable, much the same price as supermarket wet but 1000% better! Salmon oil or coconut oil added to your dogs food would help get over the itching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    Op you really need to take her off all supermarket dog food - its very poor quality and full of bulking agents and additives. This includes all tesco, dunnes, aldi and lidl...all supermarket dry / wet food. as a general rule 99% of all brands sold in your average supermarket is muck

you really need to give us an approx budget so we can recommend some decent food.

Sorry this isn't the case anymore as I learned today in Dunnes - they're now stocking Naturo trays which score 4.3 for grain free and 4.5 for the other varities on allaboutdogfood.com

tk123 wrote: »
    Sorry this isn't the case anymore as I learned today in Dunnes - they're now stocking Naturo trays which score 4.3 for grain free and 4.5 for the other varities on allaboutdogfood.com

Glad to hear they are changing their ways... I did cover myself saying 99% of supermarket food was crap :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive seen Naturo in Tescos for quite a while now.
    OP you could worse than this brand, especially if you only have the one small dog and dont want to buy (1) online (2) large amounts (3) try her if she is fussy on smaller amounts.

You could give her SALMON OIL in her food, to help her coat/skin. You could also give COCONUT OIL for coat/skin (available in Most supermarkets - get the organic tub approx 6euro but would last months for a small dog) - small tsp in her food.

You could also, just til you find what food you want to give her and to give her tummy a chance, boil up a pan of brown rice and chicken thighs (which you will debone when cooked), to which you can add some very small diced veg (carrot/potato/peas etc). Boil all together, and keep in the fridge - last about a week.

She probably has the skin issue because of the bad quality food - a very very common symptom (and JRT's are quite susceptible to skin issues). Since she is getting on, the salmon oil would help joints too. But as with everything, introduce gradually over a few days into the diet

Lucky dog, being well taken care of by her human - good luck!

As with all new things - supplements or oil/food - feed her small amounts initially to build up over a week or so - help her tummy adjust to the new food.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. I really do appreciate it. :)
    aonb wrote: »
    Ive seen Naturo in Tescos for quite a while now.
    OP you could worse than this brand, especially if you only have the one small dog and dont want to buy (1) online (2) large amounts (3) try her if she is fussy on smaller amounts.

You could give her SALMON OIL in her food, to help her coat/skin. You could also give COCONUT OIL for coat/skin (available in Most supermarkets - get the organic tub approx 6euro but would last months for a small dog) - small tsp in her food.

You could also, just til you find what food you want to give her and to give her tummy a chance, boil up a pan of brown rice and chicken thighs (which you will debone when cooked), to which you can add some very small diced veg (carrot/potato/peas etc). Boil all together, and keep in the fridge - last about a week.

She probably has the skin issue because of the bad quality food - a very very common symptom (and JRT's are quite susceptible to skin issues). Since she is getting on, the salmon oil would help joints too. But as with everything, introduce gradually over a few days into the diet

Lucky dog, being well taken care of by her human - good luck!

As with all new things - supplements or oil/food - feed her small amounts initially to build up over a week or so - help her tummy adjust to the new food.
    Thanks very much for this. I suppose what happened here is we had our first baby in May and we managed to neglect the dogs food when we should have been paying more attention to it!! A lesson learned! She's very precious to us so not only have we introduced her to a new baby but we managed to mess up her tummy. If only I'd known!! Anyways, I actually have a roast chicken in the oven right now and some veggies so I'll give her that and some brown rice. Start small and I'll go from there. Thanks again. I really appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

tk123 wrote: »

I saw these last night. The recipe reads like people food, nice people food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

hardCopy wrote: »
    I saw these last night. The recipe reads like people food, nice people food.

They loved it! I raw feed and get frozen sprat for them so they're used to fish most days but got the salmon one for a treat. Smelled fishy but not unbearably so and was oily from the salmon oil so I'll probably pick some more up from them to add to my stockpile of Forthglade trays - I built it up last month when there was a chance (now canceled) I'd have to travel for work lol :o

Thanks again everyone for the advice. We got a bag of James Wellbeloved and also the naturo food so we'll start with them and then hopefully try to get her fully on the dry food. Again, thanks a mill for the advice, it really is very much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

remember to introduce the new foods slowly - over several days - so that her tummy gets a chance to get used to the new food.

Some dogs are tempted by kibble/dry food when its moistened - warm water will bring the smell of the food out more... might be worth a try...

The other thing worth trying is to mix the two - dry/wet- with more wet than dry, then reduce the wet by tiny amounts very very slowly until you get to all dry. Although I know one of my fussy boys never enjoyed kibble on its own. He treated kibble as a treat only - NOT as his dinner!!! :cool:

aonb wrote: »
    remember to introduce the new foods slowly - over several days - so that her tummy gets a chance to get used to the new food.

Some dogs are tempted by kibble/dry food when its moistened - warm water will bring the smell of the food out more... might be worth a try...

The other thing worth trying is to mix the two - dry/wet- with more wet than dry, then reduce the wet by tiny amounts very very slowly until you get to all dry. Although I know one of my fussy boys never enjoyed kibble on its own. He treated kibble as a treat only - NOT as his dinner!!! :cool:

We mixed in some of the dry food into a good chunk of the wet and she devoured it. Kept going back to lick the bowl so we gave her a few pieces of the dried food on its own and the ate all that too. So I think we Will eventually get her onto the dried good but I'll keep the warm water idea as well just in case! Glad I got the advice too, so thanks again! :D

Advertisement