Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing my Lease

Options
  • 22-10-2015 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

A quick question on my lease contract.

I am renting a property and signed a 12 month lease last year.
    The letting agent prepared the lease. I signed it and the landlord signed it.

This lease is nearly up and the landlord contacted me directly to see if I wanted to remain on for a further 12 months. We agreed to keep rent the same and to do another 12 months.

The landlord doesn't want to go through the letting agent. Instead she suggested she would "draw up a letter for the extension and we both sign it".

I just want to make sure i'm 100% covered with this letter. Is there anything I should be aware of?

The original lease had a load of terms and conditions (rent payable on 11th each month, no pets, contents list etc). Does the original document still form part of the lease or should we draw up a similar document for the next 12 months?

Is there anything I should ask to be included in this letter? I assume it will just say something along the lines of "we agree to continue the lease between x dates for € rent".

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Do you or the landlord have a copy of the original lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

It sounds fine but as Michael D Not Higgins said might be worth reading over the original contract. Doesn't sound fishy in any way (of course that's without seeing the lease!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Yep we both have copies of the original lease.

I'll dig it out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yep we both have copies of the original lease.

I'll dig it out tonight.

Should be fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

He's just bypassing the commission payable to the agency!

• Advertisement
Advertisement