Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grant for Work EV Charge Point?

• 22-10-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are grants available for companies that will install charge points for employees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are grants available for companies that will install charge points for employees?

In Cork city at least, I believe employers can get one installed for free under the drive4zero scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Under the Accelerated Capital Allowance (ACA) companies could deduct the full cost spent on eligible energy efficient capital equipment from their profits in the year of purchase. For more details see the SEAI's (Sustainable Energy Association of Ireland) brochure on ACA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

In Cork city at least, I believe employers can get one installed for free under the drive4zero scheme.

Emailed them over a week ago - no response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I emailed the seai, re work charger support. They responded, There is no specific grant support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

While there is no specific SEAI grant scheme, the previously mentioned still apply:

The ACA scheme does specifically cover EV charging equipment.
    Drive4zero do provide free chargers to businesses in Cork.

It's worth maybe taking to to eCars if you don't get a response from drive4zero, since they actually run the free chargepoint / vehicle trial scheme for drive4zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Try them on Facebook. I messaged them yesterday about something, and they replied same day.

Thanks @PadraigMor I have messaged them through FB

• Registered Users Posts: 20 J.Dev

Any luck with this Yawlboy? Trying to get my work to install a charge point in Cork and they don't seem too keen, hoping if I can present them with more information it may sway them.
    Can't figure how they would reject the idea if it's free!

Got an email address for a guy involved, he said he will propose that my workplace get one. Waiting a few weeks now....

I'll PM you his details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

J.Dev & Yawlboy
    Did either of you have any positive dealings or news from drive4zero?
    Did you get a work charger installed? If yes, any idea what the costs were?

Im trying to get my company in Cork to also install one in advance of buying an EV. Initial indications arent good but if there was some funding support from drive4zero I'd push a bit harder.

thanks
    KCross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 J.Dev

KCross wrote: »
    J.Dev & Yawlboy
    Did either of you have any positive dealings or news from drive4zero?
    Did you get a work charger installed? If yes, any idea what the costs were?

Im trying to get my company in Cork to also install one in advance of buying an EV. Initial indications arent good but if there was some funding support from drive4zero I'd push a bit harder.

thanks
    KCross

Hi KCross,

My company are stringing me along something wicked, almost sure they will 'regret to inform me that they will not proceed at this time'. Been asking for about two months now and it's still being tossed around HR. Under the campaign the company gets the charge point for free but has to pay for installation, tie in, etc, running around €2,000-€5,000 depending on how projects are executed by your owners.

Ken Bruton with Drive4Zero is more than helpful, the tough part will be convincing your company it's worth the installation cost.

Best of luck with it! Definitely worth pushing, probably pennies to your company!

Patrick Foley from eCars under the Drive4Zero initiative dropped in a 3.6kW Charger to our office last week and we are hoping to get it fitted this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

3.6 kW? That halves the number of people who could benefit from it in the same period of time. I wonder what the rationale was for not going with 7 kW since costs would be pretty much the same.

Rafal wrote: »
    3.6 kW? That halves the number of people who could benefit from it in the same period of time. I wonder what the rationale was for not going with 7 kW since costs would be pretty much the same.

I was hoping for a 7kW but its free....

Rafal wrote: »

Most people don't order the 6.6 kw charger in the leaf so they'd be better off installing 2 x 3.5 kw units. However afaik the I3 and E-Golf come with a 7 Kw charger and I'm not sure what Zoe can charge at on single phase ?

There are considerably more Leaf than any other EV on the road.

There is no advantage to me charging at 6.6 Kw in work because over a 12 hr shift event he granny cable would be good enough for me. I set the timer for about 2 hrs before I leave.

All that's needed in work places is 230 V weather proof sockets and let the user buy the granny cable, this could considerably cut costs.

Realistically, if a 3.5 kw charger isn't good enough over an 8 hr work day then someone needs a new Job or to move a lot closer to work.

In Just 2 years the 60 Kwh leaf should be available and the Model 3 not too long after so the need for work charging would be practically 0.

I can't see many people changing to EV until at least the 60 Kwh is available and the Model 3. But there needs to be a lot more models for people to choose.

In Just 2 years the 60 Kwh leaf should be available and the Model 3 not too long after so the need for work charging would be practically 0.

I can't see many people changing to EV until at least the 60 Kwh is available and the Model 3. But there needs to be a lot more models for people to choose.

I got a very definitive no from my company. To be honest I found it hard to argue against their points and they had their homework already done on it so it wasnt just a fob off.

1) They dont provide free diesel so they dont want to provide free electricity. It would be ok for just one or two EV's right now but what if the entire (or 20% or 50% etc) company switched to EV over the coming years, what then. They would have set a precedent and they would have to upgrade their own electricity infrastructure to cater for more and more EV's. The precedent was the key issue I think.

2) They mentioned that ESB dont charge for Rapid charging now but they will later this year and when that happens there would be BIK tax implications to providing free charging in the same way there is a BIK for providing free diesel. They simply dont want to have to monitor usage and adjust tax per employee in this way. The overhead of administration was the key.

So, I need to make sure I can do a round trip from home with plenty capacity to spare cause I aint going to be charging at work and I have no interest in rapid charging on a daily basis.

I see daily rapid charging as a waste of ones life. For me rapid charging should only be for occasional long journeys. If home or work charging cant cover my daily needs EV is not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I got a very definitive no from my company. To be honest I found it hard to argue against their points and they had their homework already done on it so it wasnt just a fob off.

1) They dont provide free diesel so they dont want to provide free electricity. It would be ok for just one or two EV's right now but what if the entire (or 20% or 50% etc) company switched to EV over the coming years, what then. They would have set a precedent and they would have to upgrade their own electricity infrastructure to cater for more and more EV's. The precedent was the key issue I think.

2) They mentioned that ESB dont charge for Rapid charging now but they will later this year and when that happens there would be BIK tax implications to providing free charging in the same way there is a BIK for providing free diesel. They simply dont want to have to monitor usage and adjust tax per employee in this way. The overhead of administration was the key.

So, I need to make sure I can do a round trip from home with plenty capacity to spare cause I aint going to be charging at work and I have no interest in rapid charging on a daily basis.

I see daily rapid charging as a waste of ones life. For me rapid charging should only be for occasional long journeys. If home or work charging cant cover my daily needs EV is not for me.

If you have the energy, it could be useful to raise these issues with your TD or anyone you have access to who cares about environment and the EV cause in Ireland. Companies should be motivated rather than discouraged to help employees charge their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

I see the same reasons

1)precedence providing a place to charge and
    2)the administration of the charge back of the electricity costs rather than the actual cost of the electricity itself (most people cost more in coffee than a full charge each day!)

I did speak to the charger manufacturer and asked about rfid cards to track and trace users and kWh and it had been done before.

A simple contract not guaranteeing the service and the facility to offset the cost against incurred business expenses or business mileage doesn't seem that arduous. Employees typically incur business expenses and are refunded afterwards, don't see any reason why it shouldn't work both ways.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a genuine "get lost" to me ! There's no issues seemingly with me getting free electricity in work nor do they intend billing me for it, nor will there be BIK. You need to investigate this further because it seems like they're only talking crap for the sake of it.

How far is you commute ?

The 30 Kwh leaf should be capable of about 140-160 kms @ 100 kph.

It also charges a lot faster and an 80% charge on the 30 Kwh is the same as a 100% charge on the 24 kwh.

Just 5-10 mins on a charger can make a lot of difference, you would really need to take one for a 2 or 3 day test drive. But the 30 Kwh is the one to get if funds permit. I'd even go with the SV over the SVE for the longer range and faster charging.

Sounds like a genuine "get lost" to me ! There's no issues seemingly with me getting free electricity in work nor do they intend billing me for it, nor will there be BIK. You need to investigate this further because it seems like they're only talking crap for the sake of it.

How far is you commute ?

The 30 Kwh leaf should be capable of about 140-160 kms @ 100 kph.

It also charges a lot faster and an 80% charge on the 30 Kwh is the same as a 100% charge on the 24 kwh.

Just 5-10 mins on a charger can make a lot of difference, you would really need to take one for a 2 or 3 day test drive. But the 30 Kwh is the one to get if funds permit. I'd even go with the SV over the SVE for the longer range and faster charging.

It was, of course, a get lost but for reasonable reasons, I think. There is little or nothing in it for them only extra hassle and overhead. Its like most things in the world, there has to be incentive for people to adapt or change. I'd say it would take a government incentive for them to change their mind. One lowly guy in the office wont change their mind anyway!

The BIK response from them is correct also. You should be charged BIK once the ESB start charging for it as it is then effectively a salary topup for you. While it is still free from the ESB it is not a benefit, but once they start charging, it is.

Whether your company decide to declare it or not is upto them/you :)

My company are by the book and just dont want the hassle.

On my commute.... The 24kWh will suffice for my needs, I think. As I said, I've no interest in daily use of rapid chargers.... even 5mins! I'm OK with it for occasional long journeys but not daily use.

I dont plan on buying new either as the interest payments on the PCP are too high for my liking (€3k on top of the price of the car which will have high depreciation anyway!). Once I sell my ICE I'm going to the UK... very good deals over there on 2015 Tekna's(SVE's) with low mileage. I'll save on interest payments and I'll save on the buy price by about €3k-€4k taking flights/ferry etc into account.

Advertisement