Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

kbannon wrote: »
    How will making a driver more irritable or anxious improve the M50 mess?

I don't give a sh*te. All I know is if I see a clown trying to barge in at the last moment then I won't be the one letting him in. I see them every day trying to come across 4 lanes at the last second. If they weren't let in they wouldn't be long learning to merge earlier. I even saw one cretin stop at the very end of the exit point on to the m7 merge and put in his left indicator to get in...that's right...stopped dead on the inside lane of the m50 trying to get off. He had ample merging points before that but fcuk that, why queue like the rest when he could push ahead of 30 more vehicles and demand to get in.

Some craic when driverless cars come in to play. Poor old paddy won't know what's going on when his car merges a kilometre before his exit!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mfceiling wrote: »
    I don't give a sh*te. All I know is if I see a clown trying to barge in at the last moment then I won't be the one letting him in. I see them every day trying to come across 4 lanes at the last second. If they weren't let in they wouldn't be long learning to merge earlier. I even saw one cretin stop at the very end of the exit point on to the m7 merge and put in his left indicator to get in...that's right...stopped dead on the inside lane of the m50 trying to get off. He had ample merging points before that but fcuk that, why queue like the rest when he could push ahead of 30 more vehicles and demand to get in.
    So you speed up to block another driver?
    You can't see how that could partially be responsible for an incident?
    The other driver is obviously a dick but by you cannot take the higher ground following your behaviour.
    There isn't much difference between you and a brake tester, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

dfeo wrote: »

The M50 was built for tbe very purpose of keeping people off the city centre roads. I'd say remove tolls from M50 and put a charge on using city centre roads.

Which would have happened if everyone did mov into newly created surburbs that LA would be proud of ie most new new suburbs had no proper public transport. When the M50 was built, a majority of Dublin lived within the M50. There was a some what ok public transport within the city and you used the M50 to get to the other city of the city without going through town

Now the a huge amount of Dublin live outside the M50 with horrific public transport and use the M50 several times a day, versus most people 30 years might have used it several times a week. The M50 was designed a ring road, not for a lot of the city to use to get to work daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I agree, there's no excuse for barging into the exit lane at the last minute on the M50, just to avoid queuing. Especially, since the exit lanes are practically the entire length of all the busy sections.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Car on fire today, southbound just after Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

mfceiling wrote: »

Some craic when driverless cars come in to play. Poor old paddy won't know what's going on when his car merges a kilometre before his exit!!

I see the same culprits around the same time every morning going up towards Ballymount. Most only end up getting stuck in another line of traffic heading towards the left turn at the small roundabout. Sad, sad individuals. Ignorant too, I guess. Some go up to the lights and make an illegal left turn as well. At times, even if there is little traffic on the off ramp, some still have to speed ahead to get in front of everyone. I won't let queue jumpers in either, if possible. If I can stay close enough to the car in front in slower moving traffic, then fine.

The motorway itself just can't handle the ever increasing volumes of traffic. Any accident or breakdown either on the motorway, or on the likes of the N7, as was the case this evening, the motorway almost grinds to a halt. For the slip on to the N7, I've been stuck in queues there, and have had morons fly up the hard shoulder and bully their way in. And, of course, there are queue jumpers.

I'm lucky that I only go from exit 9 to exit 10 on my commute, but at times, it can take up to 20 minutes to do just that stretch. Most of the time, it's just volume. The Ballymount exit and junction is a mess, in my view. Whoever designed it probably had no notion at the time as to how built up the area would get. It needs a revamp, but there seems to be little to do with it. The evenings getting out of Ballymount are often a nightmare. It's certainly the only junction that gets a mention as being busy in the mornings when all other exits are fine. Though, 13 and 14 can be busy the odd morning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I see the same culprits around the same time every morning going up towards Ballymount. Most only end up getting stuck in another line of traffic heading towards the left turn at the small roundabout. Sad, sad individuals. Ignorant too, I guess. Some go up to the lights and make an illegal left turn as well. At times, even if there is little traffic on the off ramp, some still have to speed ahead to get in front of everyone. I won't let queue jumpers in either, if possible. If I can stay close enough to the car in front in slower moving traffic, then fine.

The motorway itself just can't handle the ever increasing volumes of traffic. Any accident or breakdown either on the motorway, or on the likes of the N7, as was the case this evening, the motorway almost grinds to a halt. For the slip on to the N7, I've been stuck in queues there, and have had morons fly up the hard shoulder and bully their way in. And, of course, there are queue jumpers.

I'm lucky that I only go from exit 9 to exit 10 on my commute, but at times, it can take up to 20 minutes to do just that stretch. Most of the time, it's just volume. The Ballymount exit and junction is a mess, in my view. Whoever designed it probably had no notion at the time as to how built up the area would get. It needs a revamp, but there seems to be little to do with it. The evenings getting out of Ballymount are often a nightmare. It's certainly the only junction that gets a mention as being busy in the mornings when all other exits are fine. Though, 13 and 14 can be busy the odd morning.
    The Ballymount junction is a major problem. It's simply too close to J9 Red Cow. Equivalent junctions on the N40 Cork South Ring Road in Cork were connected with collector/distributor lanes rather than 2 full junctions too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Ballymount should either be closed altogether, or joined to J9 in the same way as J13-14 are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A breakdown at J13 south caused a huge backlog this morning, so much so that the traffic was backed up on the on ramp from the N7 to the M50 south. The run from J9 to J10 was actually clear, though, for once. The slightest thing causes that motorway to grind to a halt. It's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Driving on to the m50 Saturday evening, learner driver ahead of me, no lights on at 8pm. Flashed her a couple of times, thinking she'd cop it. Overtook her and she gave me a puzzled look, lights still off. I drove on, shaking my head.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I cannot grasp the idea of tolling the M50 or people advocating increasing tolls.

In normal countries they have "congestion charges" which charge peoole to drive through the city centre.

The M50 was built for tbe very purpose of keeping people off the city centre roads. I'd say remove tolls from M50 and put a charge on using city centre roads.

Congestion charges in city centres are very rare.

Part of the call for tolling is not to increase tolls, but to to have more users pay tolls. The more than one toll point does not mean more than one toll to be paid -- you could pay once even if you passed 8 tolling points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the history of tolling on the M50 was to help pay for the works to build it, iirc, rather than as a means of keeping people off it. i suspect it's only the port tunnel which has a tolling regime designed to keep unwanted vehicles from using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Driving on to the m50 Saturday evening, learner driver ahead of me, no lights on at 8pm. Flashed her a couple of times, thinking she'd cop it. Overtook her and she gave me a puzzled look, lights still off. I drove on, shaking my head.

Permanently-on LED headlights and tail lights should just be mandatory. Never likely to need changing, consume feck all power, no need to turn them on and no excuse for them not being lit. Simples, plus it would mean you wouldn't be charged a grand and a half for fancy headlights with technology no more complicated than a pocket torch.

Honestly I don't get how DRLs weren't an EU law decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

A possible solution to the M50 bolloxology.
    1. Gantries with variable speed limits that depend of weather, temperature and traffic volumes.
    2. A blanket speed limit of 60 km/h on the M50 between 07:00 and 09:00 and 16:00 and 18:30
    3. Average speeds will be enforced with average speed cameras
    4. Gantry cameras can also be used to enforce lane discipline
    5. The speed limits will be essentially unavoidable due to the nature of the average speed cameras, as it currently is, some people are driving 100-120 (which is fine) but there are other muppets driving 40 or 50 and slamming on brakes in the outside lane to reach their exit, thus causing an accordion effect, a speed limit of 60 km/h will achieve greater overall average speeds
    6. Other gantry signs with huge lettering KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING
    7. Keep the inside lane toll-free, and a toll of €0.05 per 100 meters in the middle and outside lane (it'll cost you €22.75 for a whole lap of the M50 if you spend it entirely in the middle or outside lane), thus encouraging use of the inside lane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

[*]Keep the inside lane toll-free, and a toll of €0.05 per 100 meters in the middle and outside lane (it'll cost you €22.75 for a whole lap of the M50 if you spend it entirely in the middle or outside lane), thus encouraging use of the inside lane
    [/LIST]
    you pretty much want all the traffic that uses the M50 at rush hour to use a single lane? in the history of bad ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

1. Gantries with variable speed limits that depend of weather, temperature and traffic volumes.
    2. A blanket speed limit of 60 km/h on the M50 between 07:00 and 09:00 and 16:00 and 18:30
    3. Average speeds will be enforced with average speed cameras
    4. Gantry cameras can also be used to enforce lane discipline
    5. The speed limits will be essentially unavoidable due to the nature of the average speed cameras, as it currently is, some people are driving 100-120 (which is fine) but there are other muppets driving 40 or 50 and slamming on brakes in the outside lane to reach their exit, thus causing an accordion effect, a speed limit of 60 km/h will achieve greater overall average speeds
    6. Other gantry signs with huge lettering KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING
    7. Keep the inside lane toll-free, and a toll of €0.05 per 100 meters in the middle and outside lane (it'll cost you €22.75 for a whole lap of the M50 if you spend it entirely in the middle or outside lane), thus encouraging use of the inside lane

Oh dear. Bolloxology you say?

1. Yes, to an extent. There is no suggestion that 100km/h in the rain is dangerous and a lower limit would only be acceptable when combined with traffic volumes that were sufficiently high. Same goes for temperature. So, just traffic volumes then.

2. Too slow for a blanket limit. VSL works because it's variable, if you start giving it other parameters you mess it up. Speed limit dependent on volume.

3. and 4. Yes, absolutely. And would preferably fire explosive projectiles at lane hoggers.

5. Agreed about the braking, disagree with the flat 60km/h limit for reasons above.

6. Yes. Flashing ones. With launchers for the aforementioned projectiles.

7. That's just ridiculous. It's perfectly legitimate to travel 30km in the middle lane if you are constantly overtaking others within the speed limit and not hogging the lane or refusing to allow faster traffic to pass when there is space. Rare, but legitimate.

If anything, toll the use of the brake pedal. Every time the brakes go on, add 50 cents. A good driver should be able to gague the speed of the vehicle in front and leave enough gap to be able to change lanes and generally drive without dropping the anchor every half a km.

I would add a cap of 120km/h at very low volumes, also - 130km/h south of J16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

you pretty much want all the traffic that uses the M50 at rush hour to use a single lane? in the history of bad ideas...

People will dip into the outside lanes momentarily if 100 meters will only cost 5 cent. We're running out of ideas to curb lane hogging.

• Advertisement

you are asking three lanes of a congested motorway to squeeze into a single lane; in other words, you'd be reducing the average distance to the car in front at rush hour on the m50 to fall to less than one third of what it currently is.
    your idea is insane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

solving last minute diving is easy, the Americans have it now, a hard barrier between the lanes for a mile before, and a mile after the junction. If you are not the correct side of the barrier, you are NOT getting off at the exit, and in the same manner, joining traffic has to wait before they can get into those lanes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

solving last minute diving is easy, the Americans have it now, a hard barrier between the lanes for a mile before, and a mile after the junction. If you are not the correct side of the barrier, you are NOT getting off at the exit, and in the same manner, joining traffic has to wait before they can get into those lanes.

Does that not just move the sudden lane changes back a mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

1. A blanket speed limit of 60 km/h on the M50 between 07:00 and 09:00 and 16:00 and 18:30

What about the sections of M50 that already have lower limits?

Why would you reduce the speed limit on sections with little traffic at those times? Like south of Leopardstown in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Easy fix to this issue is:

1) prevent speeding

This has been proven to smooth out the traffic. Speeders are as much at fault as slow drivers for slowing overall traffic. All the muppets that speed eventually all meet at the point where they've all caused the congestion.

They then sit there fuming because of the pile up they've created, being too immature to see that they have just contributed to the issue. This self centered driving habits need to end. Its the difference between spending an extra 5 or 10 minutes vs 2 hours on the M50.

The system is the way it is for everyone's safety. Some gob****es just don't get this and would rather inconvenience everyone to save themselves a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how about those idiots in government or the RSA, simply take out air time on tv and radio, to inform drivers of proper motorway driving etiquette? and how their behaviour is frequently costing everyone more time in heavy traffic motorway situations...

Motorway driving isnt even a part of the test in this sham country, no driver education, is it any wonder things are the way they are?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Motorway driving isnt even a part of the test in this sham country, no driver education, is it any wonder things are the way they are?!

I remember when i started driving i got my dad to show me how to drive on motorway first (entering, which lane to be in, how to exit etc) and then i did it myself but it should be part of a lesson. A lot of people afraid to even go near a motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how about those idiots in government or the RSA, simply take out air time on tv and radio, to inform drivers of proper motorway driving etiquette? and how their behaviour is frequently costing everyone more time in heavy traffic motorway situations...

Something like this perhaps, which is broadcast from time to time:

How much of their budget would you like them to spend on 'educating' the idiots?

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Does that not just move the sudden lane changes back a mile?
    yes, but only for the dopes who are not paying attention, it WILL stop the chancers who fly up the outside lane jumping the queue, if they are aware of the hard barrier, they'll move over a lot earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement