Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

First Up wrote: »
    Why do you think the rear endings happen?

most of the ones i see are pretty much straight on so most likely people not paying attention to what is going on in front them and being surprised when the traffic in front hits the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

most of the ones i see are pretty much straight on so most likely people not paying attention to what is going on in front them and being surprised when the traffic in front hits the break.

Traffic usually hits the break for a reason. I'm not blaming bone-headed lane usage for everything but forcing people to undertake or to use the outer lane and people crossing one or sometimes two lanes to get their exit causes trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Traffic usually hits the break for a reason. I'm not blaming bone-headed lane usage for everything but forcing people to undertake or to use the outer lane and people crossing one or sometimes two lanes to get their exit causes trouble.

I have no doubt it is the case. But from what i see from driving the M50 every day it doesnt appear to me to be the cause of the majority of incidents.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Using the M50 at least twice a day, I'd say that it is inattentivness!
    Given the numbers of people either staring at their phone or engaged in a conversation on it, it is inevitable.
    I'd rarely see someone coming close to rear ending the car in front of them because of being undertaken!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Rear endings happen because the following driver is driving too close to another car. Possibly in an attempt to bully their way though.
    So basically dangerous driving.

Hogging a lane, while annoying is not in and of itself dangerous. Using your can to vent your rage and threaten other drivers who displease you, trying to squeeze into a gap boy racer style.

Why do you think people hit hedges on a quite stretch of road? Basically because they're idiots.

• Advertisement

Hogging a lane, while annoying is not in and of itself dangerous. Using your can to vent your rage and threaten other drivers who displease you, trying to squeeze into a gap boy racer style.

I disagree. Blocking the middle lane defeats the whole point of a 3 lane motorway. It forces undertaking or moving into a lane you shouldn't be in.

Nothing to do with road rage - just making the road more dangerous than necessary and we see the results every day.

I disagree. .

I knew you would :cool: But facts are facts.

Quite a lot of people, feel something and then fool themselves by constructing farcical arguments as to why it is right to feel the way they do.

An intelligent person, generally sees the logic, despite how they feelings, but not always.

Take your point. You are rushing (possibly speeding) to get from A to B. You have to slow down because of someone incorrectly using a lane. You fixate on this, even though it probably adds five minutes to your journey.

Logic would dictate that regardless of the arsehole in front, your burden of care is to your passengers and the other traffic around you. Why is this?
    Because this the the foremost rule you need to obey yourself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I disagree. Blocking the middle lane defeats the whole point of a 3 lane motorway. It forces undertaking or moving into a lane you shouldn't be in.

Nothing to do with road rage - just making the road more dangerous than necessary and we see the results every day.
    Especially when there is an auxilliary lane between junctions. When the short merges are removed and traffic has until the next junction to merge (although issues remain at J10 Ballymount), there should be no excuse not to be using Lane 1.

Take your point. You are rushing (possibly speeding) to get from A to B. You have to slow down because of someone incorrectly using a lane. You fixate on this, even though it probably adds five minutes to your journey.

You seem obsessed with being intimidated on the road. Did you have a bad experience once?

If you are in the left lane behind a truck or other slow moving vehicle, a motorway allows you to overtake safely. If people are hogging the middle, this option is taken away, causing uneccessary congestion, frustration and possible accidents.

You seem indifferent to the consequences of selfish driving and focus instead on attributing imaginary motives to people who just want to use the road properly.

Strange.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You seem obsessed with being intimidated on the road. Did you have a bad experience once?

If you are in the left lane behind a truck or other slow moving vehicle, a motorway allows you to overtake safely. If people are hogging the middle, this option is taken away, causing uneccessary congestion, frustration and possible accidents.

You seem indifferent to the consequences of selfish driving and focus instead on attributing imaginary motives to people who just want to use the road properly.

Strange.
    He's saying it because it happens regularly and it's because it's dangerous and frequently causes accidents.

I was on the M50 a while back and was driving in Lane 3, because cars in Lane 2 were going at about 85km/h and there was a truck in Lane 1. I was doing 100km/h, so I was fully entitled to be in Lane 3. Next thing a taxi comes up behind me in Lane 3 flashing the lights, and when I eventually got the chance to move back to Lane 2 after I had finished my overtaking, he flew off doing the same to cars in front of me and driving well above the speed limit when he had the space.

If a nervous driver had braked when they saw him instead of what I did, there would have been a collision.

This behaviour is unacceptable and is much more of an issue than "speed kills", on the M50. Speed vans on the M50 aren't going to solve the issue. A variable speed limit at peak times and a unit patrolling the road for stupidity like the above and using the phone/texting/eating cereal and other distractions along with people moving from Lane 3 to the aux lane right before an exit and driving across the hatch markings is needed to stop all these needless crashes every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This would explain a good few of them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxVG0aF2gIg0K8BZ4lwn_wQ

marno21 wrote:
    I was on the M50 a while back and was driving in Lane 3, because cars in Lane 2 were going at about 85km/h and there was a truck in Lane 1.

Which is exactly my point. The taxi's behaviour was crass but the guy doing 85
    in Lane 2 caused the problem.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which is exactly my point. The taxi's behaviour was crass but the guy doing 85
    in Lane 2 caused the problem.
    Lets be clear on this: somebody hogging lane 2, whilst being a dickhead (assuming they were hogging it), does not force a car in lane 3 to tailgate another car.

In addition, 85km/h is a legal speed on the M50 (it may not be the speed that you wish to travel at but that's neither here nor there). Also, the car in lane 2 doing 85km/h could still have been overtaking, so what's your problem with them then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Which is exactly my point. The taxi's behaviour was crass but the guy doing 85 in Lane 2 caused the problem.
    there's nothing in the post you quote to suggest he was holding the same speed as the truck though. it's possible he was passing it.

kbannon wrote: »
    Lets be clear on this: somebody hogging lane 2, whilst being a dickhead (assuming they were hogging it), does not force a car in lane 3 to tailgate another car.

In addition, 85km/h is a legal speed on the M50 (it may not be the speed that you wish to travel at but that's neither here nor there). Also, the car in lane 2 doing 85km/h could still have been overtaking, so what's your problem with them then?
    The car in Lane 2 WAS overtaking the truck in Lane 1, which was doing less. That's my point. The users of Lane 2 (85km/h car) and I (100km/h car) were both legally overtaking.

The taxi in question was only about 200m ahead of me when I took my exit at J9 (the incident above happened under the bridges at J6 N3). That shows that speeding and bullying your way ahead doesn't actually give you any advantage, but places many times more risk on you and the others with all the sudden braking.

Hence why VSLs with strict enforcement are needed. Nobody is able to do 100km/h end to end at peak times anyway.

marno21 wrote: »
    The car in Lane 2 WAS overtaking the truck in Lane 1, which was doing less. That's my point. The users of Lane 2 (85km/h car) and I (100km/h car) were both legally overtaking.

The taxi in question was only about 200m ahead of me when I took my exit at J9 (the incident above happened under the bridges at J6 N3). That shows that speeding and bullying your way ahead doesn't actually give you any advantage, but places many times more risk on you and the others with all the sudden braking.

Hence why VSLs with strict enforcement are needed. Nobody is able to do 100km/h end to end at peak times anyway.

I wouldn't bother mate, I've pointed this fact out to "a certain poster" more than once on this thread. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't give him and extra 50 IQ points to bring him up to normal.

kbannon wrote:
    Never said it did. The taxi's behaviour was crass, although for all we know he could have been taking an expectant mother to hospital.
    marno21 wrote:

You would probably have been better served by waiting your turn in Lane 2 while the 85km car got past the truck and (hopefully) returned to lane 1.

I rarely use Lane 3 and then only for very short visits. It is not a place to linger.

It is interesting that many of the accident reports mention the outside lane. It would be interesting to see an anslysis - if the RSA was interested enough to do it.

I wouldn't bother mate, I've pointed this fact out to "a certain poster" more than once on this thread. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't give him and extra 50 IQ points to bring him up to normal.

I hope you are as good at missing other cars as you are at missing the point.

I hope you are as good at missing other cars as you are at missing the point.

You don't have one. All I hear from your posts is: "People should pull over and let me through, because my problems are caused by people not doing what I want."

I don't think anyone here is in doubt as to what kinda of driver you are at this stage.

You don't have one. All I hear from your posts is: "People should pull over and let me through, because my problems are caused by people not doing what I want."

Can you quote a single thing I've said that entitles you to reach such a ridiculous conclusion?

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone here is in doubt as to what kinda of driver you are at this stage.

Do you think so?

'Cos I think most people here would summarise my point as "please use the correct lane on a motorway".

Do you think so?

'Cos I think most people here would summarise my point as "please use the correct lane on a motorway".

I cba tbh, but its there is anyone cares to delve into your viewpoints, which I highly doubt.

I cba tbh, but its there is anyone cares to delve into your viewpoints, which I highly doubt.

Only in your bewildered head chum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I have been following this thread for quite a bit and the passive aggressive posting of many here matches exactly the behaviour of many M50 Lane 3 users

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

trellheim wrote: »
    I have been following this thread for quite a bit and the passive aggressive posting of many here matches exactly the behaviour of many M50 Lane 3 users

I think the biggest issue here seems to be "people who want to potter along at their own pace regardless" and "people who want to get where they're going as quickly and efficiently as possible"

The former group see no issue with their incorrect lane usage, dawdling or generally poor situational awareness of traffic conditions around them, coupled with a sense of righteousness based solely on their being under the limit, and all those other people are just impatient "maniacs"

The latter group thus get frustrated by this and may make rash/stupid decisions as a result (undertaking, tailgating etc) - which isn't right either - but it is understandable when you encounter so many of these people on every trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Friday evening, turned onto the N32 at 1600 and passed Maynooth at 1730......

Took 40 minutes to get from the top north of the M50 to the Lucan exit

Hate that road so much.......N4 is just as bad

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    I think the biggest issue here seems to be "people who want to potter along at their own pace regardless" and "people who want to get where they're going as quickly and efficiently as possible"

The beauty of a three lane motorway is that if can accomodate both groups - if they use it properly.

Nobody is being asked to go any faster than they want. They are just asked to be in the appropriate lane relative to others.

The problem is that this requires thought, awareness and consideration - things that don't come easy to a lot of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭blackwhite

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    To be fair on most of the motorways (once you get out of Dublin), there isn't a problem and everyone generally DOES stay left - and I say that as someone who does a lot of motorway miles every week.

The "issue" is the M50 and N7 to Naas.. but these are so busy most of the time, with exits that are very close together at some points, that in reality (as you say) all lanes become driving lanes and the "normal" motorway rule of keep left becomes impractical.

There's far bigger issues with the idiots lane-weaving aggressively to get a whole car length ahead, people dawdling at significantly less than the limit/flow of traffic for no good reason and in turn causing unnecessary congestion all round them - especially when they potter onto a mainline at 60 km/h, and of course the oblivious eejits driving around in poor conditions/darkness with no or minimal lights on.

All of the above are a lot more significant TBH.

I drive the length of the M50 and the M1 3/4 times a week. It's a fairly significant problem all the way from Dundalk to the Airport (and also the opposite direction). Mongos who will sit in the right hand lane because they can see a truck 1km ahead in the distance are the rule, rather than the exception.

In my experience though, the M4, M7 (past Portlaoise) and M9 tend not to have nearly as many idiots, so maybe it's there's just a problem with people from Dublin and Louth :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Not an M50 tale;
    On the M4 in Wales/England a few weeks back.
    about 3AM , empty road as far as eye could see.
    Doing 70ish mph in the driving lane at the service station near Newbury.
    I moved out to let on a car coming down the ramp from the services.
    He got enough speed up to get on in front of me and proceeded
    to cross over in front of me to the righthand overtaking lane,and headed off at about 90.
    (in fairness I did not have to brake)
    A Irish reg probably off the ferry like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Idiots on their phones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement