Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

1313233343537»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Exactly, that's why I say don't go slower than the flow, setting the cruse control to 100 would be ideal.

Assuming the limit there is 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Probably not a good idea to go at a lower speed than the flow of traffic, you'll end up being a "mobile chicane" and piss off a lot of drivers.
    Couldn't care less. I'm going to look after me me me from now on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

80-90 is the typical speed in the left lane on the M50 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Couldn't care less. I'm going to look after me me me from now on.

You meet some lovely people on the M7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭markpb

Probably not a good idea to go at a lower speed than the flow of traffic, you'll end up being a "mobile chicane" and piss off a lot of drivers.

The speed limit exists regardless of other people's feelings. Driving in the correct lane, at the correct speed limit for the weather conditions should never make a driver feel dangerous. That is entirely a problem for bad drivers around them.

There's a similar problem on the N4 inbound towards the M50. Anyone traveling southbound on the M50 needs to be in lane three. The limit there is 80 and then, briefly, 60 because of the amount of merging but you still have people treating it like the fast lane (naming intentional) and hoping to barrel anyone doing the speed limit out of it. Cruise control works wonders here.

First Up wrote: »
    You meet some lovely people on the M7.
    I'm sure that you do. Regardless, my approach yesterday along the N7 and then onto the M50 delivered me the most stress-free drive along that stretch of road in a long time.

There were road works earlier on the M7 that had temporary speed limits of 80km/h and even 60km/h. When I slowed down for those, it was quite alarming to see the number of people fast approaching and then tailgating until the 120km/h limit started again.

Drove southbound from J5 to J15 in the leftmost lane with cruise control set to 100km/h. It was so peaceful.

This was between 12:00 and 13:00 mind, not in the morning rush. Will report back on that later in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Driving in Canada recently and it was noticeable how good the lane discipline was. Now, there were signs every few KMs saying "Keep right except to pass". I think we need to have those* on our motorways because having it just in our ROTR, people seem to forget very quickly.

*obviously saying 'left' instead, before someone says something smart :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wheety wrote: »
    Driving in Canada recently and was it noticeable how good the lane discipline was. Now, there were signs every few KMs saying "Keep right except to pass". I think we need to have those* on our motorways because having it just in our ROTR, people seem to forget very quickly.

*obviously saying 'left' instead, before someone says something smart :p

In Ireland though the rule is to prevent someone merging at any cost, especially in heavy traffic when they might get a few seconds in front of you.

I drove to length of France to the west of Bordeaux in France a couple of years ago - to see the mass of cars moving away from the merging ramps then back in once passed was impressive. Our motorway discipline is in the dark ages.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I drove to length of France to the west of Bordeaux in France a couple of years ago - to see the mass of cars moving away from the merging ramps then back in once passed was impressive. Our motorway discipline is in the dark ages.

You see the same in the UK, Germany, Holland and most of Europe. We have a long way to go.

You see the same in the UK, Germany, Holland and most of Europe. We have a long way to go.
    A couple of years ago I was in France and two motorways merged. Went from cruising at 130 to 20 minutes to do a kilometre. Trucks blocking the two right-most lanes trying to get into the left lanes and no-one would let them in and vice-versa a bit further ahead leading to pretty much gridlock. When traffic's flowing it was fine but any kind of kink in the flow and it seized up more quickly than anything I've seen in Ireland.

A couple of years ago I was in France and two motorways merged. Went from cruising at 130 to 20 minutes to do a kilometre. Trucks blocking the two right-most lanes trying to get into the left lanes and no-one would let them in and vice-versa a bit further ahead leading to pretty much gridlock. When traffic's flowing it was fine but any kind of kink in the flow and it seized up more quickly than anything I've seen in Ireland.

The French do gridlock (and bloody-mindeness) well, I agree.

But they know how motorways are supposed to work, unlike a large segment of the Irish driving public.

M50 this morning from J5 to J15 and the same strategy served me well once more. The same on the way home, although it was more snarled up.

M50 this morning from J5 to J15 and the same strategy served me well once more. The same on the way home, although it was more snarled up.
    If more drivers adopted a similar strategy, the M50 (and other busy routes) would flow much better.

If more drivers adopted a similar strategy, the M50 (and other busy routes) would flow much better.

Well we should all keep left unless overtaking. Its not a strategy; its how motorways are supposed to work.

Well we should all keep left unless overtaking. Its not a strategy; its how motorways are supposed to work.
    True, but try telling drivers that!
    Better if they think it's a strategy to get them to work quicker, they'll fall for it! ;)

True, but try telling drivers that! Better if they think it's a strategy to get them to work quicker, they'll fall for it!

You'd have hoped that would sink in when they see the left lane half empty and the middle and outside lanes crowded but that would need them to use their brains.

Patww79 wrote:

Except for the regular shunts and collisions that close the road because people don't know how to use it

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Somewhat relevant: https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE

Somewhat relevant: https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE
    The section about self drive cars going through a junction reminded me of the reality of driving in India! I even found the video :P

edit the video claims to be from India, but it cannot be as they're driving on the right Indians keep left!

We need some of this here!
    19990169_933550023459611_7498007508031946127_n.jpg?oh=d32be20078d5e66cf5e1b75558ba9258&oe=5A0A7324

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement