Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Heroditas wrote: »
    We don't know yet but that doesn't change the fact that someone is seriously injured
    The fact that someone is seriously injured does not retrospectively change their poor driving into good driving.

Having sympathy for the consequences does not mean they should escape criticism for the cause.
    Would you care if that was your sister, mother, daughter or wife that was in a critical condition there this morning?

I'd care about my family member, but at the same time that doesn't absolve them for causing the crash in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Looking at the photos, the car seems to have come on at the ramp at Lucan and gone onto the motorway crossing over the "ghost island" lined area and into the path of a truck.

Yes, you feel sad for her injuries, but also the standard of driving by a small minority of driver is appalling. Every week there's an accident on the M7 around Naas/Newbridge and according to gardai, most are caused by a motorist jumping lanes to get to their destination 5 seconds quicker.

One solution is the installation of average speed camera zones (SPECS) - works exceptionally well in Northern Ireland and is now the favoured option in the UK. Accdents on the A1 dropped by over 70% since 2006 and thus a massive saving for society on time delays and cost of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The fact that someone is seriously injured does not retrospectively change their poor driving into good driving.

Having sympathy for the consequences does not mean they should escape criticism for the cause.

I'd care about my family member, but at the same time that doesn't absolve them for causing the crash in the first place.

We dont know yet if the person injured is the one who caused the crash or if they were driving poorly. you seem to have already convicted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We dont know yet if the person injured is the one who caused the crash or if they were driving poorly. you seem to have already convicted them.

No, I simply have an opinion on what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Everyone reading this will go home tonight to their families this person won't and maybe never will,what's an hours inconvenience in the grand scheme of things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Everyone reading this will go home tonight to their families this person won't and maybe never will,what's an hours inconvenience in the grand scheme of things?

That's the root of the problem

The sympathy!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

delahuntv wrote: »
    Lookign at the photos, the car seems to have come on at the ramp at Lucan and gone onto the motorway crossing over the "ghost island" lined area and into the path of a truck.
    The incident occurred just before 6am so traffic would have been moving well on the motorway.

Where the pics in the indo have it, it looks like she came down the N4E slip road in the right hand land and merged. (Bear in mind that the first slip merges under the flyover whilst the left hand lane merges with the N4W slip road before merging with the motorway.
    cc001.jpg

The vehicles look to have stopped adjacent to the Cedar Drive housing estate on this map...
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3537811,-6.3848564,254m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edit: for clarity, I'm not speculating on blame, just on the possibility that the driver of the car may not have crossed the chevrons as was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That is clearly something more than your typical fender bender caused by typical M50 sloppy driving.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First Up wrote: »
    That is clearly something more than your typical fender bender caused by typical M50 sloppy driving.
    According to some media outlets, it was hit by two trucks.
    That would have hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

kbannon wrote: »
    According to some media outlets, it was hit by two trucks.
    That would have hurt!

I can believe it looking at the picture. We'll wait for the investigation results before passing judgement. Looks like the car was rear ended but don't know if that was the first or second impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw the news and the photo - horrific crash and hope she's ok. Amongst all this internet rage, someone's mother, sister, wife is in hospital fighting for her life.

If people find this a bit irksome, there's a radio station called lyric fm. Tune in, give the boss a quick call (if it's safe to do so) and thank yourself it's not you or a loved one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Christ, looking at that picture, Imagine there were kids or other passengers in the back.

I'm as eager as anybody to have bad driving wiped out and deterrents enforced but some of the comments here are pretty poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

delahuntv wrote: »
    One solution is the installation of average speed camera zones (SPECS) - works exceptionally well in Northern Ireland and is now the favoured option in the UK. Accdents on the A1 dropped by over 70% since 2006 and thus a massive saving for society on time delays and cost of injuries.

The sole SPECS zone on the NI A1 suffered terrible driving due to a terrible, short dual section, and was bypassed in 2010 or so. That, and junction works to grade separate caused the reduction in collisions - not the long defunct SPECS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i wonder how many people posted on boards this morning with their phones stuck on m50??????

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Anyone who has a crash on the M50 should be banned from driving for one year, simple.

If you have a crash on a straight road motorway you are a danger to yourself and others.

It's caused by driving too slow, breaking, phone use, incorrect lane use, slow to merge, timid driving - If you cannot drive correctly on the road then don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Anyone who has a crash on the M50 should be banned from driving for one year, simple.

If you have a crash on a straight road motorway you are a danger to yourself and others.

It's caused by driving too slow, breaking, phone use, incorrect lane use, slow to merge, timid driving - If you cannot drive correctly on the road then don't use it.

Yep always amazed you get penalty points for using a bus lane but you cause a crash and you get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Spare a minute to think of someone who was seriously injured, their family and what they might be going through this morning..

I was driving for an hour and a half this morning, over an hour late for work but at the end of the day, things could be a lot worse.

I lost a family member to a traffic accident and it was posted on breakingnews.ie before I knew about it. People were leaving not so nice comments and speculating to as whos fault it was. It isn't nice when you're on that side of the comments.

And you have idiots who are in the public eye tweeting the minister of transport about it, clueless as to what's involved.

https://twitter.com/davidhall75/status/664377057992904704

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

i wonder how many people posted on boards this morning with their phones stuck on m50??????

Sure they're putting the investigators out of a job here. They can reopen the road now. The team here have solved this one :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Yep always amazed you get penalty points for using a bus lane but you cause a crash and you get nothing.
    using a bus lane is an FPN. just because it's not an FPN for causing a crash does not mean there's no penalty.

thierry14 wrote: »
    If they crash on the M50 they only have themselves to blame.

Family or not

You don't now much about how crashes can happen do you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

JustTheOne wrote: »

If you're in a bus lane and not driving a PSV, you've broken the law - it's very clear cut. It's a lot harder to prove to the level required for a criminal conviction that someone caused a crash. There will be a big investigation into this one because of the outcome but for the average fender bender, you may never be able to figure out conclusively what happened and who was to blame.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The vast majority would be down to driver error.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I don't. Can you explain how crashes happen?

The vast majority would be down to driver error.

Not everyone who crashes is down to their own error.
    I don't. Can you explain how crashes happen?

At this stage of your life, if the concept has already escaped you, there's no point wasting my time or yours.

Not everyone who crashes is down to their own error.
    I know, I never said that.

Whoever is at a fault should face the penalties.

If I'm driving along normally and you crash into me, on a straight road such as the M50 you should be banned for a period of time as you cannot drive safely and are a danger to yourself and others.

So in this case, either the truck driver or the driver of the smaller car is at fault here, one of them should be punished for their clear dangerous driving.

I know, it was aimed at those generalising about people who crash. I've been witness to a number of accidents over the years on it, one pretty serious which involved the partial shut down of the M50. The driver of car that was destroyed and left sitting as a wreck in the middle of the motorway was not at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You might hit oil, ice, or simply aquaplane. No control what so ever. Or something could fail on the car, like a front puncture at speed.

Accidents happen. The M50 and surrounding transport network can't cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

kbannon wrote: »
    The tailgaiting offenders are not being caught using the fixed cameras.
    Anyhow, there are many other instances of bad driving on the M50 e.g. late lane changes when exiting, using a phone or doing make up whilst driving which the cameras won't catch.

If your eyes can see, it can be recorded by camera. It won't be definitive on a lot of stuff no. But will catch a lot of stuff.

it could be trialled in a small section and the results analysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

If I'm driving along normally and you crash into me, on a straight road such as the M50 you should be banned for a period of time as you cannot drive safely and are a danger to yourself and others.

So in this case, either the truck driver or the driver of the smaller car is at fault here, one of them should be punished for their clear dangerous driving.

Its possible that neither were at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Doesn't go far enough. Break the rules, and it's a ban of at least 12 months, and a loss of licence until the person concerned passes a new driving test, not the original basic driving test that is the starting point, but a test supervised by one of the advanced motoring organisations, and a much more in depth test of driving skills, which would also involve theory classes, as well as practical ability checks.

Sounds harsh, but the brutal reality is that there are way too many "drivers" that don't have a clue how to use multi lane roads and the like, and the present system does nothing to prepare future drivers on how to use them. It's another of these areas where people think they're "entitled" to drive, when the truth is that they have a significant responsibility to drive in an acceptable manner, and too many don't. The only answer is to make it harder to get the licence in the first place, and a lot easier to lose it, especially for ignorance.

If the money and time required to get the licence was more significant, and the loss of that privilege was a bigger possibility, just maybe people would drive with a better attitude.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement