Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That accident I mentioned as being a witness to which closed two lanes and the auxiliary lane was caused by some ass doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ACCELERATION, simple as that. There is a enough room to get from 30/40 to 100 on that ramp. Merging at a speed slower than the traffic is a dangerous maneuver. There should be acceleration signs placed at on ramps.

Exactly. Unfortunately many drivers seem afraid to use their right foot for fear the engine might blow up if they exceed 2,000rpm, that combined with a lack of understanding of how gears work, so that they're trying to accelerate from 50 to 100 in 5th gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ha lol,

Speak to any motorcyclist you want. Every 5th car driver has a phone in their hands. You clearly dont look out the window at all. If i was a guard i could be handing out penalty points every couple of meters without interruption.

It is clear you have issue with the Gardai or the penalty points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

This ramp is a bit dodgy but a merge can be done successfully and safely if the driver actually drives correctly.

ACCELERATION, simple as that. There is a enough room to get from 30/40 to 100 on that ramp. Merging at a speed slower than the traffic is a dangerous maneuver. There should be acceleration signs placed at on ramps.

I fully agree, but 'driving correctly' and obeying (noticing) signs is beyond many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i've seen someone actually come to a stop - with a tipper truck behind him having to brake very hard - trying to merge at the very last minute to get onto the ram at blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The slip roads would be safer, imho, if they had arrows painted on them - it's quite hard to understand exactly when you're supposed to merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

You must be driving around with your eyes closed if you can count on one hand the amount of times you have seen another driver on a phone. On my commute home yesterday on my motorbike I witnessed at least 100 drivers either talking, facebooking or texting on their phones whilst sat in traffic or moving slowly. If I was a motorbike cop it would be a turkey shoot. Make the fines 3k-5k a pop and set up some undercover motorbikes to catch these **** stains using their mobiles. Read recently about the cops in Spain doing something like this last summer over a two week period and it being a great success. Again it won't happen here because the people using the phones are voters and government always put votes first not road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

One of the main problems on the M50 and Busy driving in general in this country apart from using phones is breaking distance.

Breaking distance is covered in driving tests, so nobody who does not know this should be driving.

You should be leaving at least 36m to 50m on the M50 you are usually driving between 80km to 100km and double that distance for wet conditions,

check out the rules of the road site.

I use the M50 every day, the full lenght from Airport to Sandyford, and this is never apllied, as we all know the secound you leave your breaking distance, so GobSh*t pulls into, Fair enough on the Merging lanes, but in truth if it was being applied merging would not cause as big an issue as it does,

This should also be enforced by the Guards,

A Motorcyclist? lecturing ?

What is so ha about it.

I also have a Car, and i cycle to. In fact i think that means im more experienced on the roads than you due to the multiple modes of transport i have been tested on and utilise often.

So in terms of my input, it is very valid.

I suspect you have issue with the Guards, You dont like penalty points id imagine.

Im very unsure why you would take issue with removing the Single biggest distraction in vehicles (the smartphone).

I have already offered up 2 solutions that would offer best bang for buck.

1) Installing barriers along full length or at least junctions down the central divide of the M50 removing visibility to the other side which is not required. To remove gawkers
    2) Dedicated Motorcycle unit handing out points and fines to hammer home that distracted driving is idiotic.

You however have offered nothing more than having a laugh at motorcyclists... oh and something about somehow training drivers to merge.

Is that it ? yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you seriously don't think that phone usage while driving is endemic in this country then frankly you don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Inappropriate filtering by motorbikes (not through stopped traffic, but when all lanes are making reasonable progress), and the use of mandatory cycle lanes by motorbikes would be two you could add to the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Was it the n4 merge. I do it a few times a week and it's lethal. You can get really caught out in the outside lane. It's hard to accelerate quick enough off the tight ramp, particularly if there are any other cars ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

errlloyd wrote: »
    Was it the n4 merge. I do it a few times a week and it's lethal. You can get really caught out in the outside lane. It's hard to accelerate quick enough off the tight ramp, particularly if there are any other cars ahead of you.

The simple answer is not to take the outside lane if you can't accelerate quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Adoolan85

Kimura wrote: »
    One of the main problems on the M50 and Busy driving in general in this country apart from using phones is breaking distance.

Breaking distance is covered in driving tests, so nobody who does not know this should be driving.

You should be leaving at least 36m to 50m on the M50 you are usually driving between 80km to 100km and double that distance for wet conditions,

check out the rules of the road site.

I use the M50 every day, the full lenght from Airport to Sandyford, and this is never apllied, as we all know the secound you leave your breaking distance, so GobSh*t pulls into, Fair enough on the Merging lanes, but in truth if it was being applied merging would not cause as big an issue as it does,

This should also be enforced by the Guards,

So its you that I'm stuck behind every morning with 2 football pitches worth of space in the lane ahead of you.

I demand you contribute to my high blood pressure medication !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

From the roads forum, it looks like the merging lanes may be realigned
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97638930&postcount=468

6XieWSR.jpg

XmR3rT7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Adoolan85 wrote: »
    So its you that I'm stuck behind every morning with 2 football pitches worth of space in the lane ahead of you.

I demand you contribute to my high blood pressure medication !!!!!!!!
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

Having space in front of you allows you to continue on without breaking, thus everyone behind you doesn't have to break so you actually help the flow of traffic instead of endless stop/start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thierry14 wrote: »
    Anyone stupid enough to crash in a straight line should be punished.
    thierry14 wrote: »
    If they crash on the M50 they only have themselves to blame.

Family or not
    I need you to improve your level of trolling. At least be entertaining.

Moderator.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Inappropriate filtering by motorbikes (not through stopped traffic, but when all lanes are making reasonable progress), and the use of mandatory cycle lanes by motorbikes would be two you could add to the list!

oh great a 'them versus us' argument. Unsure how this would solve the constant tailbacks on the M50 perhaps you can add to the discussion rather than sniping at other types of road users.

Silly stuff altogether.

This thread is about the M50. Mobile phone use is endemic, its distracting drivers and it takes seconds to run into the back of the car in front and hours for the guards to deal with the messy backlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Adoolan85

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Having space in front of you allows you to continue on without breaking, thus everyone behind you doesn't have to break so you actually help the flow of traffic instead of endless stop/start.

If you believe the daily 1st and 2nd gear adventure on the M50 every morning is caused by breaking distances you are deluded, as is the other granny demanding a 50m gap between cars.

Come on........

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Adoolan85 wrote: »
    If you believe the daily 1st and 2nd gear adventure on the M50 every morning is caused by breaking distances you are deluded, as is the other granny demanding a 50m gap between cars.

Come on........
    It can be can caused by constant acceleration/breaking/tailgating.

If you're going a constant speed without any breaking the traffic will actually move instead of moving 50m then stopping for 5 minutes, repeat ad infinitum.

Should also help with driver frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Easiest way determine the gap required is the 2 second rule. If it's wet you can say it twice. This caters for speed too so that the gap increases with speed. And the concept of Tyres on Tarmac is also lost to the majority of drivers.

Another gap issue is people diving from one lane to another as there is a tiny gap there only to cause the car/van/truck behind them to hammer on the breaks to avoid hitting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It is endemic - check out this guy's YouTube channel;

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

And you have idiots who are in the public eye tweeting the minister of transport about it, clueless as to what's involved.
    he is right about the city being shut down, its a disgrace, Dart underground and MN kicked years down the road, so they can use money to buy elections instead. Dublins roads arent able for the kind of traffic we have, no point in building more roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I use this on-ramp very frequently. My car is well able to accelerate up to merging speed as needed, but I still take the left hand lane every single time because it's safer to do so.

The outside lane there, no matter what car you're driving is dangerous because it doesn't give the the car already on the motorway enough time to move right, which is necessary when a stream of cars come from the on ramp.

It's an inherenlty dangerous design.

Yet, every single time I merge on, there's some dope in a car with half the BHP of mine(which isn't fast by any means) who was behind me on the 270° loop, who has now moved right in a desperate attempt to get ahead of me onto the motorway. I see it every single time and have a little bet with myself whether or not they'll go right. To be clear, I'm not saying that that this was the cause of today's accident.

I did notice on the pics that the Independent posted that it was a new-ish Volvo FH truck involved. I believe that these come with radar controller automatic braking as standard, and there certainly seems to be a cover for the radar mounted on the front of the truck. Hopefully this lessened the severity of the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

The slip roads would be safer, imho, if they had arrows painted on them - it's quite hard to understand exactly when you're supposed to merge.

The amount of people who decide to merge into the "off" ramp at the exact point where the "on" ramp meets the motorway is a joke! :rolleyes:

My other bug bear is drivers sitting in the middle lane at 60-80kmph with a gap of 2-3km to the car in front of them. There's no need to be going that slow. If you find that speed more suited to you, then perhaps the inside lane is a better place for you to be.

Every single day I pass at least 10-15 drivers that drive like this. No joke. It's not as if the cars in front are travelling above the speed limit, most of the time, the max speed of traffic is 80-90!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

listermint wrote: »
    1) Start a project to install Visibility barriers down the centre of the road. This is needed immediately

THIS 1000000%

I've been saying this for years. There is a section just near the bridge where the wall is much higher than the road, why isn't it like this the entire length of the M50...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement