Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Do you find it hard to simply have fun in crucible? I know at my level, significantly below yours, there are days when I'm coming up against people I can barely see before they kill me - i imagine the skill level of your opponents means you need to be on top form or you'll spend the match looking at a revive timer.
    Depends really. I can't play 3v3 unless I'm really on it, 7-17 whilst rusty being a prime example there, I jumped into 6v6 straight after that for a few games to find my aim. Its pretty annoying, I enjoyed year 1 a lot more. Its not about pub stomping either really, its more about being able to play without 100% concentration, it can be difficult to play after work with SBMM just because I'm tired. Also trying out a new weapon is a virtual no no. I understand the arguments from both sides but its definitely had a negative impact for me. According to DTR I'm in the top 1-2% for all of the playlists, which puts me in the group of people having a bad time with the matchmaking. I imagine for people below top 10% its probably fine but its worth noting that even if they removed SBMM the lower tier players would still only face a 'top 1%' player every 9 games or so, so I'm not so sure its benefiting them enough to justify how bad it is for us. I've queued against 3 red bars, left and requeued 3/4 times over and faced them every time, such is the low amount of players the game will match with me.

On the other hand I definitely see more close games these days, with the exception of Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I dunno. Being carried seems like less hassle. How did you find being carried!? :D

Man, it's not like I sat AFK in a corner and ate a sandwich, I still had to go (I think around) 0.85 KDR

Plus, to be fair, that stream (which Cal introduced me to) was NOT a very popular channel.
    I was just there as it was pretty early and they were growing. I mean I was pre-500th Sub, they wrapped up around 2,500 subs (I think).
    Cal was a mod there and won a raffle and basically gave up his spot to be carried to "Anyone on the stream who fits Z criteria".
    I was the only one watching who fit those criteria and he knew it.
    All in all, I was lucky.
    It seems like if you want a carry by Lucky and Buttwipe or someone else like that you better start watching now so you can start earning the relevant currency to enter draws and get your name on lists
    While I prob will look to get stream carried I do honestly plan on playing more elimination, skirmish, trials in RoI - assuming I can find fireteam, have no interest in solo queuing them (obv trials needs a fireteam

Public matchmaking for 3v3 is not too bad once you get your head around what you should/shouldn't be doing.
    Reason being is your team mates will generally have the same ELO as you so be wise enough to not ignore revives etc
    i spend so much time playing this game, I should actively try to get better at it, to a significant degree.

Yeah, given your not as s**t as you like to think, you really should.

They way you play the game to be me is like....

Imagine if you knew someone (let's say an off mic random) who played the game, but farmed only missions and patrols and never bothered with strikes.
    You'd be there like "You're making Strikes seem like a way bigger deal than they are, after you do like 10 strikes, they are ok, and you learn XYZ and get ABC"

Your thinking about PvP is alien to me. And bare in mind, like you, I NEVER played online multiplayer much prior to Destiny (aside from maybe a few months of BLOPS2).

I used to think "Era, I'm only average" despite normally coming 1st or 2nd when playing with the clan.
    I'd always just chalk it down to "I guess I get more assists or cap a lot of zones" so I end up with more points

Then about 6 months ago I was playing a decent bit of PvP with players who were (objectively - multiple lighthouse runs each week) much better than me, to the point of them having a reputation (as in players would go "Oh, man was playing with X earlier, some serious PvP player, mad skillz" etc)

And then, in we go, Iron Banner (I think) or whatever and I still top the scoreboards repeatedly with these "Been Flawless XYZ times" lads in the group.
    And these top lads are like "Oh GG Generic, Great Score" etc.

And then I'm just there like....
    "Huh... I guess I'm good"

And no, this wasn't just a big long humble brag, as anyone who plays with me knows, I couldn't be less up my own a$$ about my abilities.
    It was just a confidence thing.

(And yeah, I know 6v6 is not exactly the true mark of a good player, 3v3 and Trials are where you prove yourself, it was just that in my instance I didn't happen to be playing 3v3 with these lads but rather 6v6.)

Just bang your head against a wall in Skirmish for 30 or 40 games.
    You'll come out of it better.
    Sure you might be going 50% WLR in Skirmish.
    But when you come out, I bet your KDR in 6v6 will have creeped up to (let's say) 1.85 instead of 1.7 and you won't even have noticed.

Anyway, not a rant, just seriously.... come on.... don't be so down on yourself.

There are very few metrics that separate me and you as players if you look into our stats on Destiny Tracker.
    The only difference is I know how to play 3v3 because I have played 3v3 and I don't tilt as much (and that'd due to the fact I did all my titling back in the day when I was honing my craft - 100 Salvage Wins anyone?)

Seriously, side by side us on Destiny Tracker.
    What am I doing that you are not?
    Simply, I'm trying modes that are not Control and Clash (and the bit of Rift)

TL:DR: Why not focus on winning Grimore for Skirmish and then Salvage for the next 2 weeks, no better practice for Trials
    I'm with Cormac on this. I mean, you should be able to get to the Lighthouse on your own merits, not get carri...... :o

In all seriousness, play for the stretch goals. Get to 5 wins on a card. then 7. Then 5 without a loss, then 7. So on and so forth.

It's not being carried Conovar needs (not that he'd kick it out of the bed) It's a healthy dose of tough love :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Speaking of streams, was watching a stream a few weeks ago and some lads basically handed over a tonne to get a run with the streamer.

The lads were playing through and the fella been carried was forever getting stuck in teather but didnt shoot them etc just stood there and waited for it to disappear. The lads just told him to shoot it and what came next was brilliant........ he went full melt down at the lads carrying him saying he wasnt thick etc. lads just explained that they were only giving advise and your man got worse and worse, the boys just went back to orbit and kicked him haha

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cormac... wrote: »

TL:DR: Why not focus on winning Grimore for Skirmish and then Salvage for the next 2 weeks, no better practice for Trials

I'll reply more fully when u get back from the gym but one quick thing - I've compared us in iron banners. I generally have a better kd but you get WAY more kills as you are a far more active player. I play passive, which is fine in 6v6, but won't get you anywhere in 3v3. That's where I need to improve. Going on up close kill streaks, not from the back of the map with jade rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Did ya need to quote the whole thing? Seriously like :pac:
    one quick thing - I've compared us in iron banners. I generally have a better kd but you get WAY more kills as you are a far more active player.

This is just a play style thing.
    Teams with 6 campers aren't best.
    Teams with 6 rushers aren't best.
    Good teams in 6v6 have a balance.

Hell, even (in the past) when I did play trials semi regularly, the hardest teams to beat were not 3 snipers, they were 2 snipers and shotgunner.

That one fecker rushes you and the other 2 clean up as he and/or them push onto the orb and close you down.
    I play passive, which is fine in 6v6, but won't get you anywhere in 3v3. That's where I need to improve. Going on up close kill streaks, not from the back of the map with jade rabbit

Yup. 100%. And bare in mind you can do a 180 on play styles over time if needs must. I mean I don't remember Nev or Solvable shooting a single Sniper round in Year 1

Year 1 I was a Blink-Slide-Shotgun player
    When was the last time you say me run a Shotgun in PvP?

To Win, you must Evolve.
    To Evolve, your must Grow.
    To Grow you must Adapt

Now, you can put that badly stuck on to a t-shirt

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Did ya need to quote the whole thing? Seriously like :pac:

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Yeah year 1 I was a HC/AR and tryhard shotty. Not great with HC now. With practice have gotten better at sniping, still not a top tier sniper by any stretch. Tend to play passively with AR snipe or SR snipe, but have been trying to get more aggressive. It'll come.

Better?

39823538.jpg

vhyfxm.jpg

Also, new internet should be sorted out on Friday. Should the gods deem me to be worthy, I may final shed my red bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Upgrade to Orange?

• Advertisement

I'd settle for pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

jonnycivic wrote:
    Ah trials can be good, I was on with dude and jcd a few weeks ago (The wrecking ball incident ) and it was good craic in fairness.

Yeah it's just very competitive right now, should get better with Roi.

Tho practice helps as well, there was a stage a nice while back where generic dude myself and bashful played regular enough and we used to get to the 5 wins handy enough, but as everyone kinda stopped you get rusty.

I was always around a 1.0 kd but lately I've dropped back to 0.7-0.85 kd purely from not playing in a regular team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

The difficult thing I've always found about Trials is the timing. I'm usually busy Friday and Saturday nights, and by Sunday / Monday, people have done most of the weekly checklist activities, and there's little happening. I was running the last few weeks purely for the gold bounty and the Doctrine (never got it in the end), but I took the games seriously when I played. Wasn't a case of jumping of the map for game completions. Games where you can be any bit competitive are a great change of pace from all the other activities in Destiny, and I've always enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PetKing wrote: »
    The difficult thing I've always found about Trials is the timing. I'm usually busy Friday and Saturday nights, and by Sunday / Monday, people have done most of the weekly checklist activities, and there's little happening. I was running the last few weeks purely for the gold bounty and the Doctrine (never got it in the end), but I took the games seriously when I played. Wasn't a case of jumping of the map for game completions. Games where you can be any bit competitive are a great change of pace from all the other activities in Destiny, and I've always enjoyed it.

I've found it hard to get a fireteam together at any stage over the last while. It is a nice change of pace in fairness, ok you get your ass handed to you but those times when you dish out pain and misery is an absolute joy :P

another few games of Skirmish last night - with Jonny and McMafia. Good fun, won two of the four games we played.

This was my favourite of the matches: http://destinytracker.com/dg/5441940523

We were actually down a good bit at the half way mark if I remember correctly and I was being of no fecking help - including simply walking off the map at the very beginning... in the last part of the match the three of us holed up by the C spawn and were able to hold the oppo off as they pushed from each side. I just about managed to keep myself alive in a number of engagements and salvaged a good performance for myself and we comfortably got the win the end. We were getting trounced for the middle part of the match so getting the win, and by such a margin, in the end was awesome. Great fun. Nothing Manacles and Eyasluna did me well! Think I have the game saved on the PS4 so I might upload it later. Might edit out the first half though to save myself embarrassment!

another few games of Skirmish last night - with Jonny and McMafia. Good fun, won two of the four games we played.

This was my favourite of the matches: http://destinytracker.com/dg/5441940523

We were actually down a good bit at the half way mark if I remember correctly and I was being of no fecking help - including simply walking off the map at the very beginning... in the last part of the match the three of us holed up by the C spawn and were able to hold the oppo off as they pushed from each side. I just about managed to keep myself alive in a number of engagements and salvaged a good performance for myself and we comfortably got the win the end. We were getting trounced for the middle part of the match so getting the win, and by such a margin, in the end was awesome. Great fun. Nothing Manacles and Eyasluna did me well! Think I have the game saved on the PS4 so I might upload it later. Might edit out the first half though to save myself embarrassment!

Yeah i had to say it was dam good fun, if you do have that throw up the whole lot as like your burst at the end I had a run in the middle of just everything going well and killing them with a few revives thrown in for good measure :D

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Yeah i had to say it was dam good fun, if you do have that throw up the whole lot as like your burst at the end I had a run in the middle of just everything going well and killing them with a few revives thrown in for good measure :D

Here it is in its unedited 'glory'.

man there is so much rubbish play in there... especially the wiffing on the titan.... CRINGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

man there is so much rubbish play in there... especially the wiffing on the titan.... CRINGE.

I was waiting for the Pew pew pew there...

Its actually so good watching that back - even for seeing that whiff... like for example there is one point where i get a guy almost dead near C spawn, and finish him off with the grenade. I see on the radar his mate is there too and I try to kill him with the primary - I had a fecking grenade charge; that should have been thrown at his feet and then I could have retreated in anticipation of the grenade getting him or put on shot into him for the kill.

Its good watching this kind of crappy play back - put it in the memory bank and apply it to future games. I've heard loads of the crucible people on CR talk about watching your games, but never really done it. The value of doing it is clear, will have to do more of it in the future.

• Advertisement

nevelator wrote: »
    I was waiting for the Pew pew pew there...

A clear example of not adapting to the situation and sticking with my initial plan of attack. Though, in fairness, if I wasn't trying to seemingly aim using my feet, I would have killed him with the HC. Given the amount of missed shots (and melee) swapping to Side Arm would have done me no good - that was purely down to being crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Anyone on PS4 wanna do a fireteam this evening? Looking to run through a few heroic strikes for a quest .

Wing126 wrote: »
    Anyone on PS4 wanna do a fireteam this evening? Looking to run through a few heroic strikes for a quest .

You are sh1t out of luck this evening. Destiny is down for maintenance in prep for the RoI patch until midnight tonight I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

You are sh1t out of luck this evening. Destiny is down for maintenance in prep for the RoI patch until midnight tonight I think.

Hah, that's just my luck. Maybe over the weekend so!

Dude I have watched that vid a few times now and for a fireteam of 3 that hadn't played skirmish together before and not 1 of us used to making calls for each other we done really well. I learnt a lot from those few games last night and now I want to skirmish more :D

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Dude I have watched that vid a few times now and for a fireteam of 3 that hadn't played skirmish together before and not 1 of us used to making calls for each other we done really well. I learnt a lot from those few games last night and now I want to skirmish more :D

I'm annoyed I can't do some more tonight. Call outs are something i need to work on. A few times I should have been calling put a sniper, not just in terms of "I just got sniped". Need to learn and get used to the map descriptions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've never been any use at call outs. I'm lost 1/2 the time in real life and no better in videogames. "I just got shot by the ......errr thingy"

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've never been any use at call outs. I'm lost 1/2 the time in real life and no better in videogames. "I just got shot by the ......errr thingy"

Same. Unless it's by a spawn point no one will have a clue what I'm talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Same. Unless it's by a spawn point no one will have a clue what I'm talking about!

I've played so little control, (tend to go in Clash or others now), that I get confused by control points on certain maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Touch of Malice’s self-damage infliction now removes Blessing of Light

Major change to that then, not really surprising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement