Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm moving house soon, and where i'll be living is in the country. I did a rough speed test and got about 3mbs

Can anyone please give me some detailed anecdotal feedback on how you have found playing on 2-3mbs?

FWIW, I'm used to playing on ~8 to ~30 mbs :/

Also, Bungie should introduce connection based matchmaking, I think that now, all of a sudden :D

3 is fine, you'll be grand if it sticks at that. Your ping is more important. I have ****eband at home but fibre at work and get on the same with both connections, a stable 3 mb with a decent ping is absolutely fine. If its one of the horrendous local wireless LTE providers though you are out of luck as at peak times and your speed will go up and down like a yo-yo. Consistency is key!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,973 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think ping time is the issue for satellite broadband - and ive heard it makes online gaming near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Cormac... wrote:
    Ok, cheers for that so far guys. Looks like unfortualey the BB will be necessary evil of moving to that area, but I guess I have to make compromises. Yeah, I'd say I'll give to give up the ole twitch career. I'm sure the massive following will be devastated

Your ****ed on satellite man the ping is horrid, can be over a 100 at times.

Mad as this sounds try ask around any neighbours or borrow a friends phone with the different networks if they can pick up 4g.

I have bbnet.net for bb and they are gone to ****e in evenings with contention.

Was able to pick up 4g on phone with three so bought a router of them and a cheap all you can eat regular phone sim pop it in router boom cheap unlimited Internet as they can't differentiate usage between router or phone.

Save a few quid a month that way if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,973 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was thinking..... Would there be interest in a random load out raid run at some point. Destiny item manager has an option for applying a completely random load out. Could be a laugh trying to do the raids with a random selection of weapons and armor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well I don't have an Eircom connection in the address or on the street, so it has to be Satellite I think. Unless someone has any other suggestions?

I'm looking at Imagine LTE atm :/

http://www.imagine.ie/broadband/

Or

https://www.europasat.com/ie/satellite-broadband-tariffs/ireland/

Well I don't have an Eircom connection in the address or on the street, so it has to be Satellite I think. Unless someone has any other suggestions?

Or

How rural are you?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Or

LTE would be far far better than sat. The only downfall to LTE is your data cap per month.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Or

How you mean you don't have eircom connection? No phoneline? They'll install one for free afaik.

Yeah, I got off the phone with Imagine.

So they have a "mast" like 4km away from me.

Apparently the normal speeds are 50-60mbs but with a MINIMUM of 30mbs (according to them, they will straight up refuse to install the thingy if it reads as sub 30mbs)

I asked about the ping, he said to expect 10-40.... pings.... per ping.....

This is all LTE as opposed to satellite BB, even he addmited gaming on Satellite is a no-go

Only problem is a 20 GB per day allowance.

The good news is that once I go over the Allowance, they will throttle my internet. So I won't get charged additional per GB, they will just slow me down massively (I guess I'll have to monitor things and just be smart about downloads, can always bring the PS4 to mys sisters or friends for a once off download)

It's going to cost like €60 a month, but honestly, I'm happy to pay for consistency and speed

Is that good? Are those enough shiney pings? Are they the pingiest?

• Advertisement

How rural are you?

It's fairly rural now alright. It's a farm. I am too poor to live in the suburbs anymore.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    How you mean you don't have eircom connection? No phoneline? They'll install one for free afaik.

It's a guy who built his own house and built this house I'll be renting on it, but never wired any of it up for Eircom. There's absolutely no eircom infrastructure/box whatever on the property from what I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Was thinking..... Would there be interest in a random load out raid run at some point. Destiny item manager has an option for applying a completely random load out. Could be a laugh trying to do the raids with a random selection of weapons and armor.

I like the sound of that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah, I got off the phone with Imagine.

So they have a "mast" like 4km away from me.

Apparently the normal speeds are 50-60mbs but with a MINIMUM of 30mbs (according to them, they will straight up refuse to install the thingy if it reads as sub 30mbs)

I asked about the ping, he said to expect 10-40.... pings.... per ping.....

This is all LTE as opposed to satellite BB, even he addmited gaming on Satellite is a no-go

Only problem is a 20 GB per day allowance.

The good news is that once I go over the Allowance, they will throttle my internet. So I won't get charged additional per GB, they will just slow me down massively (I guess I'll have to monitor things and just be smart about downloads, can always bring the PS4 to mys sisters or friends for a once off download)

It's going to cost like €60 a month, but honestly, I'm happy to pay for consistency and speed

Is that good? Are those enough shiney pings? Are they the pingiest?

Our main network tech is living out the sticks and he got the imagine LTE in as he was only able to get less than 1mb. He swears by the LTE if your rural even with the data cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's fairly rural now alright. It's a farm. I am too poor to live in the suburbs anymore.

It's a guy who built his own house and built this house I'll be renting on it, but never wired any of it up for Eircom. There's absolutely no eircom infrastructure/box whatever on the property from what I understand

I've heard they have upped the game with imagine LTE jobbie, I heard it was awful for a few year's but seems to be getting better constantly...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057558377/278

Also check the cork thread and see if anyone local has the service and can advise...

Cormac... wrote:

I know a few mates on imagine, they are getting slated on the megathread for not keeping to the 30 minimum after a few weeks, but the people moaning are still getting a download speed between 7-13 ish so that's good in my book.

I'm using three 4g sim in a router so I can open ports etc and bar the odd hicup it's going great, getting around 11 down 7 up fairly consistently and pings about 28-43 the 43 being the worst ever and it was weeks ago.

No download cap so happy days and all for 30 yo yo a month.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I know a few mates on imagine, they are getting slated on the megathread for not keeping to the 30 minimum after a few weeks, but the people moaning are still getting a download speed between 7-13 ish so that's good in my book.

I'm using three 4g sim in a router so I can open ports etc and bar the odd hicup it's going great, getting around 11 down 7 up fairly consistently and pings about 28-43 the 43 being the worst ever and it was weeks ago.

No download cap so happy days and all for 30 yo yo a month.

4G is LTE so JCD's way of doing it would be the best, get a 4g sim on unlimited data and then just buy a router for it :D

I can't even get 4G in my old gaf, never mind in this farm place :/

But thats what LTE is dude, so if you cant get 4g you wont get LTE.

Sh!t..... but the Imagine sales rep wouldn't lie to me would he? :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jonnycivic wrote: »

Imagine use their own masts so what he gets on his phone is irrelevant.

Sale reps would sell you their mother for crying out loud. If imagine are confident youll get it then I wouldnt worry as they will know more. One of our staff cant get BB and 3G is pi$$ poor nevermind 4g and we had to get her ripplecom installed and that works great for her even after been told it wouldnt work in her house.

jonnycivic wrote: »

Nah, just because Three do not have coverage there doesn't mean Imagine don't - they have built their own infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Sounds like a job for the eircom ftth, should check if its in the area. Its all newly run connections for it.

They will lie :) The main issdue with Imagine is contention, it appears they are overselling some masts. I have seen reports of 2 mb at peak times but others report speeds at peak of 15-50 mb.

Cormac... wrote:

You'd be surprised

This is 100% the truth I can get 4g in the very far corner of our house, move literally 2 ft and gone, I had to mount a shelf against a wall for the router and then use tp link home plugs to spread the connection around the house it's a bit mad but it works and is now better than my old broadband which I think we all can agree was ****.

Also try every provider I know ripplecom and bbnet where I am both have their own masts and I know imagine have as well.

Thanks for the advice all. Hopefully things will go ok. Imagine having their own masts does lend some credence to their confident boasts :)

Cormac... wrote:
    Thanks for the advice all. Hopefully things will go ok. Imagine having their own masts does lend some credence to their confident boasts

Have a look generic there is an imagine megathread on boards worth a look, just ignore a few users namely smelly socks and tiree terror who are both idiots and just seem to troll a bit, a lot of the posts there seem to hit out at speeds dropping to 3ish meg at peak times.

But when pushed a few seemed to have had large downloads in previous days so I'm guessing throttling tbh.

They have no off peak waiver for large downloads which is a bit mad and their fair usage policy seems Un generous putting it mildly but the service seems a good otherwise.

Also their router is aperently terrible and settings are locked down so you can't port forward etc easily and it's WiFi is shoddy, plus they don't want you to use your own router. But I'm sure the likes of Johnny civic could be more informed on workarounds there.

Right that's the brief summary of that thread thank new later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are there any bounties in particular you need to be doing in order to have the Thorn Quest drop... or is it legitimately random?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭onlyTobes

Are there any bounties in particular you need to be doing in order to have the Thorn Quest drop... or is it legitimately random?
    Mine dropped whilst handing in Shiro's bounties, although it's probably random.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement