Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Destiny 1 will still be there, just no more trials/IB or any more updates :)

Indeed, the xbox doesn't get the ps exclusive TTK and RoI content until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think it is very sh1ty of them to remove Iron Banner and Trial of Osiris. I can't see any reason for them to take them away - just leave them running on a schedule. Smacks of them trying to force people to buy Destiny 2, which is a crummy practice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it is very sh1ty of them to remove Iron Banner and Trial of Osiris. I can't see any reason for them to take them away - just leave them running on a schedule. Smacks of them trying to force people to buy Destiny 2, which is a crummy practice.

It sucks but it's been apparent since the Dark Below that the game is designed like a subscription based MMO ie if you don't keep getting the latest add ons the game becomes pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

MUDflation - where top-end gear from raid-level content becomes less and less good as newer and newer content comes out. A universal theme in gaming.

Yakuza wrote: »
    MUDflation - where top-end gear from raid-level content becomes less and less good as newer and newer content comes out. A universal theme in gaming.

Thats gear though - not just getting rid of a mode.

I think getting rid of trials and iron banner is a crappy move. also, getting rid of them before D2 is even out. So, with no trials at launch of D2 we have at least 1 month, possibly 2 or more without the mode. Its strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Iron Banner I kind of understand, cause it's an "Event", Trials less so, as it is a unique game mode and it is EVERY week.

Anyway, I doubt there will be much interest in running Trials in D1 in October 2017 tbh.

They are just trying to get people to power down Destiny 1 and take a breather before D2 arrives. Twas the same craic pre-TTK. They were quiet happy for players to stop playing for 6-12 weeks before it came out tbh

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume the timed events require a certain amount of man hours to maintain on their end too.

Iron Banner I kind of understand, cause it's an "Event", Trials less so, as it is a unique game mode and it is EVERY week.

Anyway, I doubt there will be much interest in running Trials in D1 in October 2017 tbh.

They are just trying to get people to power down Destiny 1 and take a breather before D2 arrives. Twas the same craic pre-TTK. They were quiet happy for players to stop playing for 6-12 weeks before it came out tbh
    How is SweeperBotsWrath supposed to go flawless though?

BTW - playing on the SweeperBot account..... Destiny is an awful boring grind solo, and crucible is no fun with a minimum range hand cannon, a crap shot gun and no armor!

Did you use the Lvl25 Spark of Light?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Or the LvL 40 one :P

• Advertisement

Level 25, only one I had.

Doesn't do ANYTHING to your subclass though - so it is still a MASSIVE grind to level your character up effectively.

Up to LL198 or something like that. The Gunsmith weapon is my best weapon at the moment!

Haven't had a good weapon drop yet, none of the blues I've gotten have been good and not a legendary in site yet. Kinda looking forward to seeing what my first legendary will be, and exotic.

Level 25, only one I had.

Doesn't do ANYTHING to your subclass though - so it is still a MASSIVE grind to level your character up effectively.

Up to LL198 or something like that. The Gunsmith weapon is my best weapon at the moment!

Haven't had a good weapon drop yet, none of the blues I've gotten have been good and not a legendary in site yet. Kinda looking forward to seeing what my first legendary will be, and exotic.

Make a beeline for the Boolean Gemini, it has a level requirement of 30 instead of the usual 40 and drops at 280LL.

Are you just using that account as a Smurf for PvP?

Are you just using that account as a Smurf for PvP?

That was kinda part of the plan but.....

I'm still getting pitted against full teams of 5400+ No Land Beyonding jump snipers in Supremacy. Or i've never actually gotten decent at this so i've never left smurf territory. I dunno!

Maybe if it was Control, and Iron Banner wasn't on i'd be seeing a different scenario.

Having a hand cannon that doesn't shoot more than three feet or a pulse rifle that freaking SPAYS around the place isn't helping me though. Bought a 160 sidearm just to have it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That was kinda part of the plan but.....

I'm still getting pitted against full teams of 5400+ No Land Beyonding jump snipers in Supremacy. Or i've never actually gotten decent at this so i've never left smurf territory. I dunno!

Maybe if it was Control, and Iron Banner wasn't on i'd be seeing a different scenario.

Having a hand cannon that doesn't shoot more than three feet or a pulse rifle that freaking SPAYS around the place isn't helping me though. Bought a 160 sidearm just to have it!

Surely you have done some bounties for some purple gear by now tho? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What's a Smurf?

pls don't post picture of small blue creature :P

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Surely you have done some bounties for some purple gear by now tho? :P

Nope.

Gunsmith gives you nothing at rank one (apart from the ability to buy a weapon blueprint).

Not got Vanguard or FWC or Crucible leveled yet - about 3/4 the way on each of them - but I think you only get motes and coins for the first 2 ranks of each (first package rank 3, i though).

Can't do heroics to get marks out of them.
    Can't do nightfall.
    Can't do Iron Banner.

Don't have access to the Shaxx weekly bounties or Crucible Handler bounties either (need to be ranked up in crucible for them?)

Only way I can get weapons at the moment is drops and buying the crappy green stuff on sale for glimmer in the tower.

AdamD wrote: »
    What's a Smurf?

Basically after you get really good you create a new account so you get matched with lower ranks/newer players.

Not really a huge issue in Destiny but is rampant in more competitive games like Overwatch, R6:Siege or CS:GO

What's a Smurf?

A second account which doesn't suffer from your main accounts skill based match making. comes from Blueberries, i think.

What's a Smurf?

Its either this:
    A (usually) experienced gamer posing as a newbie under an alternate name.

Or this:

200?cb=20161211015747

And when it comes to the lads here im unsure which one is more applicable :P

• Advertisement

Nope.

Gunsmith gives you nothing at rank one (apart from the ability to buy a weapon blueprint).

Not got Vanguard or FWC or Crucible leveled yet - about 3/4 the way on each of them - but I think you only get motes and coins for the first 2 ranks of each (first package rank 3, i though).

Can't do heroics to get marks out of them.
    Can't do nightfall.
    Can't do Iron Banner.

Don't have access to the Shaxx weekly bounties or Crucible Handler bounties either (need to be ranked up in crucible for them?)

Only way I can get weapons at the moment is drops and buying the crappy green stuff on sale for glimmer in the tower.

And finding a loot cave ;)

SweeperBot got his first legendary drop last night!

Unfortunately it was a 77 Wizard fusion rifle... but still. Got to level 40 too, which meant I could put on my LL340 Hunter Rise of Iron gloves. Progress!

Also, hitting 40 means I can now do crucible handler and shaxx bounties. Still no decent primary... but progress!

Oh... BTW, I'll probably be on my alt account on Destiny tonight from about 7.30 or so if anyone wants to do some of the Refer a Friend stuff. Think there is still time for me to register my new account for that (only activated in this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You'll be on Destiny 2?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You'll be on Destiny 2?

Eh... yeah. Totally not a mistake. As the last leader in Clan 3, Bungie contacted me to see if I wanted to test Destiny 2 in order to promote it to my dwindling clan. I'll be checking out the sentinal and [redacted] tonight.

Any friend of SweeperBot is free to join in.

Oh... BTW, I'll probably be on my alt account on Destiny tonight from about 7.30 or so if anyone wants to do some of the Refer a Friend stuff. Think there is still time for me to register my new account for that (only activated in this week).

Not sure you can do the refer a friend stuff, iirc the alt account needs to actually purchase Destiny to be eligible.

I had thought since TTK about running a new character to see how the game played following the big refresh it got at that time, but I never pulled the trigger on it.

In the clan shake up last week, I created a new account (SweeperBotsWrath) to put as an admin in Clan 3 to keep it alive while we told everyone else to move to Clan 2. Decided I would take this new account through Destiny to see what it was like.

The reality is worse than I thought it would be! Oh those rose tinted specs!

Firstly, man it is a grind to get levelled/geared.

The story missions appear to do very little to help you, which came as a surprise to be honest. They do appear to be a good source of XP, which is good for class levelling, but you get few drops. Don’t think you get any drops in the post mission screen - which is something I knew, but it really sticks out when you are running around with crap gear. The chance of a decent weapon at the end of a mission should be a thing!

I had forgotten just how much a pain levelling gear is. I’ve pretty much ignored levelling and upgrading armour - as I just switch to the higher LL gear when I get it - but levelling up my weapons is still a pain. I’ve levelled up (as in upgraded the nodes) a Hawkmoon, a Bryonic Hero, a Blazing….something? (Iron Banner side arm) and maybe a couple of others. I actually had to run a spirit bloom run on Venus for my Bryonic Hero!

Getting gear is both a pain, and a hole lot easier than it used to be. Getting it from drop is crap - getting very few legendary engrams - but I am so glad of the crucible bounties! Got my Bryonic Hero from the Hand Cannon Bounty, the Iron banner side arm from the side arm bounty (Getting that with a blue sidearm which had a 9 bullet mag was a pain!). Have a PDX45 order with the gunsmith coming Wednesday - hoping for something good. Should get another weapon off him too for reach rank 2 (if he gives them out at 2).

The big thing is the story missions - massively different structure to them. Vanilla, Crota and House of Wolves seem to be thrown together - there are missions I remember doing that I haven’t come across yet and House of Wolves is the only active quest line I have (Vanilla and TDB seem to be done). Not getting decent rewards for them makes it very uninteresting to do. Would only do them to level up the classes. (Just remembered I need to kick off TTK to get access to Night-Stalker).

PvP was an eye opener too - so fecking difficult with blue weapons. Hand Cannons with no range or aim assist. Pulse Rifles with utterly random spread. Small mag sidearms. Shotguns with no range…. Looking hell I found it difficult.

On the plus side, did one Iron Banner match at 328 light or something like that and came near top of the leader board in a win. Golden Gun still kills at that LL ;-D. Hid in the A room in Rusted lands for the first half of the match - trip mines on the entrances, pillars etc - Golden Guns and Hand Cannon for clean ups! Which I had some more time at Iron Banner to be honest!

Remember one of the early vanilla missions, think it was the fourth, which was shockingly difficult under levelled. Now I can complete it by punching everything to death.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Remember one of the early vanilla missions, think it was the fourth, which was shockingly difficult under levelled. Now I can complete it by punching everything to death.

The first Crota one is the one for me - killing the Fist of Crota I think it is.... that fcuker spamming his sword attack... have ALWAYS found that difficult. Even this time around, overlevelled it was still a couple of attempts before I got it done.

• Advertisement

Did one recently actually, it was one of the daylies. The room is locked and slowly the ground turns into a green firey trap of death, Wizards and Knights that do significant damage. Explodey thralls everywhere. Did not enjoy, even fully levelled..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement