Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Not like it's an overly hard encounter anyway once you have the mechanics down..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I'm not advocating for it's implementation in any runs. It's always better to complete encounters the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

This is on par with pulling out the LAN cable in Crota

EDIT: I'm not gonna bother giving that piece of $hit video anymore air time frankly. It's f**king pathetic

well said. Ripping every bit of fun out of the encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

*HOUR 7 of Presteige Calus attempt*

**** IT - **** THIS GAME AND **** BUNGIE. Right... just do the wipe thing.

*was patched*

.....same time tomorrow lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The true Raid Challenge is sending a team of nicely sauced players in to the Shadow Realm

Alternatively:
    Calus has Raised the Stakes
    GenericDreadhead has joined your Fireteam

D:

• Advertisement

Iron Banner back next week - control, in quick play. Armor on offer - no mention of guns.

Presteige Raid next week too - no Light Level increase, and no mentioned reason for doing it over normal (ie, rewards aren't mentioned to be better).

WTF Bungo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There's a glitch (probably more of an exploit) that lets you get 300 engrams from the planetary vendors once you are at 295+
    It's boring, stupid and sucks the life out of having to do the end game.

When's the DLC out?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Iron Banner back next week - control, in quick play. Armor on offer - no mention of guns.

Presteige Raid next week too - no Light Level increase, and no mentioned reason for doing it over normal (ie, rewards aren't mentioned to be better).

WTF Bungo?

And Power level disabled too.. Seriously?
    Talk about catering to casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ran the Nightfall last night finally with No Cal and Linksenn...

**** those knights, Wolverine would be jealous of the speed they can regen health after throwing up a shield every 2.31 seconds.

And Power level disabled too.. Seriously?
    Talk about catering to casuals.

Destiny 2 is a massive disappointment.

Luke Smith has made so many poor choices in the design of the game. I'd love for him ot be grilled on it so we can find out why all these choices were made.

Why remove Rumble and Rift?
    Why remove Light Level being a useful thing at all, anywhere, in PVP?
    Why remove all Raid perks from Raid armor?
    Why remove Random Rolls completely, and for 1 roll on a relatively limited amount of weapons (and armor)?
    Why remove 6vs6 from PVP?
    Why remove private matches?
    Why is the hard mode raid not going to help boost our Light Level?

Honestly, I think a massive amount of changes are required, soon, to fix destiny.

We need a return of 6vs6.
    We need competitive PvP to have a meaning, a point, a reason to play it over quickplay?
    We need more weapons and more weapon rolls.
    We need more mods, and better mods. We need mods that are unique and have an impact - exotic mods, or raid mods.
    We need strikes to be more rewarding.
    We need loot drops to be better.
    We need a better, more cohesive raid.

• Advertisement

D1 early on was no picnic but we probably put up with it as it was shiny and new. I've enjoyed D2 for what it is but agree with the points above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Luke Smith has made so many poor choices in the design of the game. I'd love for him ot be grilled on it so we can find out why all these choices were made.

Why remove Random Rolls completely, and for 1 roll on a relatively limited amount of weapons (and armor)?

Honestly, I think a massive amount of changes are required, soon, to fix destiny.

We need competitive PvP to have a meaning, a point, a reason to play it over quickplay?
    We need more mods, and better mods. We need mods that are unique and have an impact - exotic mods, or raid mods.

very good points here, while you find them out ill be off playing final fantasy 9.... the game is going to die a very quick and painful death in its current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I totally agree. I'l also throw in my two cents.

1. Please remove countdowns - The run n' gun technique now required for Nighfalls only suits a very select type of play style
    2. Mix up the milestones - You can knock them all out on a Tuesday and then not much else to do
    3. Relax on the bullet sponge enemies - It gets boring very quickly when you are literally standing there emptying clip after clip into the same enemy over and over again.
    4. Make legendary engrams relevant - Once you hit 265, the purples in D2 are about as relevant as the greens in D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

My point of view is - all of these points will be drip fed to us over the coming weeks.

Bungie held back on certain game modes in order to draw out the "fun". The user base of Destiny have a habit of gorging themselves on an activity and burning out on it, only to get salty about said activity.
    Rumble and Rift are for sure in the game, they've deliberately limited the game modes as most of the D1 PvP population would have only played control regularly.

6v6's is for sure there but I think Bungie needed to do something to address the toxic D1 PvP attitude. I'm not sure I agree with 4v4 but a change is as good as a rest.
    Also this will require supers to be re-balanced...

The whole mods fiasco is in need of an overhaul - they'll have to address it. Relying on RNG to create a build, the fúck?

The infusion and mod system, you can only infuse a pulse rifle with a pulse rifle. You can only upgrade a Warlock helmet with a Warlock helmet mod - this was deliberately put in place to slow progression and give people something to do, instead of burning through content to hit max light.

I think the loot system is in need of an overhaul as strikes don't seem rewarding but I expect public events to be nerfed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Light level should never be relevant in PvP. Why should you get an advantage for being a higher level? Doesn't exist in any decent PvP game. Completely uncompetitive.

AdamD wrote: »
    Light level should never be relevant in PvP. Why should you get an advantage for being a higher level? Doesn't exist in any decent PvP game. Completely uncompetitive.

how else would you make Trials and Iron Banner different in play to standard PVP?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

how else would you make Trials and Iron Banner different in play to standard PVP?

Trials and IB only weapons :P

Destiny 2 is a massive disappointment

Bit of a stretch there imho.

Definitely some stuff I 100% miss from D1, that we may never see in D2 and some stuff I found just very sub-par content wise (the Raid in particular).

A hell of a lot of what you're saying is deeply rooted in your (dare I say) obsession with solo queue 6v6 in 1/2 of the D1 modes.

4v4 is more akin to 3v3 in a lot of ways. Those of us who did give 3v3 a fair shot are having a vastly different experience of D2s PvP than you are tbh

PvP is sooooooooo well balanced atm compared to almost any point in the 1st 2 years of D1. For almost every part of the 1st 2+ years there was a "broken META" to the point where it was almost "seasonal" and referred to as such by the devs. Now, a lot more stuff is viable in PvP if you make use of it to its fullest degree

On Private Matches, if people here are gonna whine about that missing, I'd like to point to the fact that the actual follow through on using it in D1 was almost embarrassing. I think I played 3 partial evenings of it with people, period.

And speaking only from my own personal experience, I've found myself to be the only one actually talking about using different Mods on different gear for different reasons. Now maybe tones of other Clan players are experimenting with them and saying nought, but I have definitely had 3 conversations with some people about XYZ Mods on ABC Gear before they gave it a shot.

The rest of the points I agree with. And 120 hours in, I can see the areas I'd like to see improved.

That being said, I was not "massively disappointed" playing through the campaign the 1st time and I do think the foundation is there for a better Destiny package in D2 vanilla than it was in D1 vanilla.

I do miss the "collect-a-thon" aspect of some things like Dead Ghost, or Record Books or Grimore Score etc, but similarly relived I can walk away after a reasonable time.

I respect the fact that Bungie seem to respect our time more and I don't need to commit 3x hours a day to stay on top of the pile. But there is a definite lack of a goal to aim for once you hit 280+ power level.
    SeanHarty wrote: »
    the game is going to die a very quick and painful death in its current state.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There are a lot of QoL additions which people are overlooking too:

Can fly to anywhere without going to orbit
    Don't have to pick up or hand in bounties - all done automatically
    No random perk rolls
    No grinding materials or ranking up guns and armour
    Can wear whatever gear you like and drops will still match your highest light

I'm sure im forgetting some

It has more content than D1, D1 just forced you to grind the same **** repeatedly to get better gear. If you're into that D2 might be disappointing, I never enjoyed the grind.

Definitely some stuff I 100% miss from D1, that we may never see in D2 and some stuff I found just very sub-par content wise (the Raid in particular).

A hell of a lot of what you're saying is deeply rooted in your (dare I say) obsession with solo queue 6v6 in 1/2 of the D1 modes.

4v4 is more akin to 3v3 in a lot of ways. Those of us who did give 3v3 a fair shot are having a vastly different experience of D2s PvP than you are tbh

PvP is sooooooooo well balanced atm compared to almost any point in the 1st 2 years of D1. For almost every part of the 1st 2+ years there was a "broken META" to the point where it was almost "seasonal" and referred to as such by the devs. Now, a lot more stuff is viable in PvP if you make use of it to its fullest degree

On Private Matches, if people here are gonna whine about that missing, I'd like to point to the fact that the actual follow through on using it in D1 was almost embarrassing. I think I played 3 partial evenings of it with people, period.

And speaking only from my own personal experience, I've found myself to be the only one actually talking about using different Mods on different gear for different reasons. Now maybe tones of other Clan players are experimenting with them and saying nought, but I have definitely had 3 conversations with some people about XYZ Mods on ABC Gear before they gave it a shot.

The rest of the points I agree with. And 120 hours in, I can see the areas I'd like to see improved.

That being said, I was not "massively disappointed" playing through the campaign the 1st time and I do think the foundation is there for a better Destiny package in D2 vanilla than it was in D1 vanilla.

I do miss the "collect-a-thon" aspect of some things like Dead Ghost, or Record Books or Grimore Score etc, but similarly relived I can walk away after a reasonable time.

I respect the fact that Bungie seem to respect our time more and I don't need to commit 3x hours a day to stay on top of the pile. But there is a definite lack of a goal to aim for once you hit 280+ power level.

Do you honestly think you’re going to be playing this in 3 months in its current state?

What are you finding so much more enjoyable than the rest of us?

My Biggest Negatives:

Matchmaking in PvP takes forever, handy for a tea break but if you actually want to play the game its terrible, finding it very hard to get into any flow as the wait/loading times are as long as the actual action, don't even get me started on weapon balancing issues. :rolleyes:

They have totally ruined the NF's, their just terrible now and I don't think ill bother doing anymore.

I haven't raided yet but I've had the chance and I just don't want to, it just doesn't appeal to me even though in destiny 1 I did plenty of them.

I have about 50hours in total into the game, I've never raided and I've only ever done 1 NF, my main is 293 and my Alt which I only finished the other day and have done none of the powerful gear milestones is already over 280.

The game just isn't pulling me back in at all, a few weeks in and ill prob play an hour or two Tuesday and Wednesday night if even at that.

• Advertisement

It's largely irrelevant anyway. After a few weeks you're not going to come up against a team of level 19s or 260s in trials/IB. Can't remember any significant time in D1 where I had a distinct LL advantage in PvP. Now and then in IB maybe.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Do you honestly think you’re going to be playing this in 3 months in its current state?

Occasionally? Yes
    Daily? No
    What are you finding so much more enjoyable than the rest of us?

Playing with friends
    The fact I can actually just do the stuff I want to do and "progress"
    don't even get me started on weapon balancing issues

I'll get you started. What are your issues?
    I haven't raided yet but I've had the chance and I just don't want to, it just doesn't appeal to me even though in destiny 1 I did plenty of them.

What an odd thing to say.
    So what is your opinion of the Raid? Is it based entirely off 2nd hand comments?
    Do you think maybe you only ever Raided cause you wanted that "End-Game" gear/number in D1?
    That maybe if D1 allowed you to hit Lvl30/32/35/300/335/400 via PvP, Public Events, Vendors that perhaps you never would have raided in D1 ever.
    Seems like a "problem" created by the fact that you don't need to Raid at present.
    The game just isn't pulling me back in at all, a few weeks in and ill prob play an hour or two Tuesday and Wednesday night if even at that.

You have lauded statements like this for the entirety of D1. I have many examples of this personally.
    Including you joining a party chat me and 2 other lads were in at like 2am one night early into D1, while we were playing PvP, to regale us all with how "done with Destiny" you were and how you were at that exact moment installing (I think) Battlefield 4 complete edition (which you paid ~€100 for) and talking at length about how games like that would be the "Destiny Killers" in the end of the day.
    About a fortnight later I spoke to you again, and you were back in D1, BF4 long dropped.
    This cycle is continuing 3 years later.
    Maybe the issue isn't Bungie, it's with your expectations.
    I get we all want the best for the game, and see areas it can be improved and iterated upon.
    But this need for the sensationalism is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think most of the changes are pretty good. I haven't had much time in the last few week to play as much as I would have liked (only played the raid a couple of times, with 1 completion), and just doing the various weekly activities etc I have managed to get to 300 light level.

So missing out on the raid or even a night fall isn't that big of a deal, and the game is more respectful of your time. You can still no life the game if you want, but if you can't, you won't fall to far behind, which is nice.

The grind is a lot easier, and I can now get specific gear sets and level those up, for example the FWC gear set. Once I have what I want leveled up, I can then look into specific mods for gear etc.

The new Iron banner gear looks great, and I will be playing to get the gear. I do find crucible a lot more enjoyable, but that probably because I am not as rubbish as I was on Destiny 1. The games seem fairer and more balanced, and if I lose a fights, it was due to the other guy out playing me, as opposed to having a better weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I agree with slot of what Sean and Mitch said.

There has been a lot of odd choices by the developers for D2. Nightfalls used to be great craic but they are just annoying now with the timer.

To me it feels like D2 has been built on the base D1 experience. I don't understand why they didn't just continue from ROI, D1 had improved so much to that point and if they had built from there I think D2 would be much better.

Saying that I do feel I've gotten my monies worth so I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

emmetkenny wrote: »
    To me it feels like D2 has been built on the base D1 experience. I don't understand why they didn't just continue from ROI, D1 had improved so much to that point and if they had built from there I think D2 would be much better.

I think the problem here is that D2 was probably well into the development cycle when RoI dropped, so probably not enough time to bring any preferred design choices over into D2. I'd say we will see more of the end D1 designs making their way into D2 at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Don't mind the 4v4 as much, but there should be some punishment for leaving a match or not playing. A lot of times people just leave and when its 4v3 it can just turn into a stomp fest.

I do miss some of the collection stuff, I had to go back to destiny 1 and finally get those missing ghosts in the exclusive pvp maps. But where can I go read those cards now, or see my completed deck, all gone from the game/app.

There are a lot of QoL additions which people are overlooking too:

Can fly to anywhere without going to orbit
    Don't have to pick up or hand in bounties - all done automatically
    No random perk rolls
    No grinding materials or ranking up guns and armour
    Can wear whatever gear you like and drops will still match your highest light

Yup, some of the improvements are great in fairness, playing some D1 over the last few days, having to constantly going to orbit you forget how much time that waste's. Pouring 60 motes into armour, and then realizing I'm short wormspore (not that its that hard to find).

But I think, if hardcore players want to grind out certain stuff, search every nook for dead ghosts, then they should be there. Casual players never cared about collecting them all.

Since I installed Destiny on the xbox three years ago, I haven't played another game. I just enjoyed the game, and when there was quite times and content drought, I would go back to looking for the missing ghosts or try to get better versions of certain guns, that stuff just kept me going. Its just a pity that at the end, when we got all the raid exotics there wasn't more time to play around with them.

You hear all these rumors and threads on reddit about the development cycle and how the tools/setup for D1 didnt lend it to getting new content into the game easy. I just wonder how much of D2 was built from the ground up, did they in fact just run out of time and then simplified a lot of stuff by having static gun rolls, pretty basic vault, armor reskins.

Occasionally? Yes
    Daily? No

Playing with friends
    The fact I can actually just do the stuff I want to do and "progress"

I'll get you started. What are your issues?

What an odd thing to say.
    So what is your opinion of the Raid? Is it based entirely off 2nd hand comments?
    Do you think maybe you only ever Raided cause you wanted that "End-Game" gear/number in D1?
    That maybe if D1 allowed you to hit Lvl30/32/35/300/335/400 via PvP, Public Events, Vendors that perhaps you never would have raided in D1 ever.
    Seems like a "problem" created by the fact that you don't need to Raid at present.

You have lauded statements like this for the entirety of D1. I have many examples of this personally.
    Including you joining a party chat me and 2 other lads were in at like 2am one night early into D1, while we were playing PvP, to regale us all with how "done with Destiny" you were and how you were at that exact moment installing (I think) Battlefield 4 complete edition (which you paid ~€100 for) and talking at length about how games like that would be the "Destiny Killers" in the end of the day.
    About a fortnight later I spoke to you again, and you were back in D1, BF4 long dropped.
    This cycle is continuing 3 years later.
    Maybe the issue isn't Bungie, it's with your expectations.
    I get we all want the best for the game, and see areas it can be improved and iterated upon.
    But this need for the sensationalism is unnecessary.

the fact that 4-6 people out of 8 are using mida high-lights the balancing issues.

giving out about a game once or twice that I played for the best part of two years is hardly making statements for its entirety, and I'm the one sensationalizing.....:rolleyes:

what made me come back time and time again was the community and "friends" aspect that you talk of, unfortunately that has faded in my eyes since the release of D2.

and I'm sorry but having high expectations for a game that at base level costs like 75euro on release is hardly a problem.

syboit wrote: »
    playing some D1 over the last few days, having to constantly going to orbit you forget how much time that waste's

If you go to the D1 page of this site and the "Stats" tab, you can see just how much time you spent in D1 in Orbit or the Tower.

For me it was ~950 Hours :pac:

https://d1.destinystatus.com/psn/genericdreadhead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think the problem here is that D2 was probably well into the development cycle when RoI dropped, so probably not enough time to bring any preferred design choices over into D2. I'd say we will see more of the end D1 designs making their way into D2 at some stage.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. I'd guess with each DLC we will see a few improvements.

***Just get rid of the Nightfall timer Bungo**"

• Advertisement

I would agree that 4vs4 is more balanced and fun than 3vs3 was. But IMO 3vs3 was more suited to the hardcore players and better skilled PVP players. 6vs6 was more casual, imo. 4vs4 is more akin to 3vs3 as you say, and less inviting to a solo player than 6vs6 was.

Yes, my view on 4vs4 is definitely coloured by my view of 6s and 3s - but I still think it is valid that 4vs4 is a massive departure from 6s and is, at its core, more weighted to the higher skilled players.

IMO, and I said it prior to Destiny 2 coming out or its announcements, there should have been separated playlists (and rewards) - similar to Overwatch.

If Destiny 1 had only been 3s, I would think 4s an improvement, but that isn't the reality.

Private Matches, from my perspective, were underused by the clan - and I'm as much to blame on that score. But beyond that, I think Private Matches are important for the growth of Destiny - I want to see Private Matches (and spectator modes) so that I can see and appreciate high quality D2 tournaments. I said prior to D2 that these things were needed, along with custom matces, and to be honest I am shocked Private Matches weren't continued, whatever about spectator modes.

I enjoyed the D2 campaign and first playthrough more than D1 - but I think D1 in its final form was more fun on a daily basis than D2 is.

I would also agree that D2 is a better foundation than D1 was, but D1 was the first release. D2 should have, but didn't imo, take the lessons from Taken King, April Update and Rise of Iron. As I have seen said elsewhere, D2 feels like a very good sequel to Destiny 1 Vanilla - as opposed to a sequel to the the final D1 build.

On collections and guns....

How the feck do we get to a point were the Tower is attacked, guardians are killed all over the shop and we don't have new dead ghost collectables? How on earth do they kill guardians everywhere and not use that as a brilliant chance to tell stories from the new world of destiny?

I don't mind there being fixed rolls on guns. But.... we don't have enough guns. We either need far more guns or we need a small number of fixed rolls per gun. The number of guns will increase over time, but it has been a poor start imo.

As for mods - counterbalance can be a nice mod. Personally I just look to stack ability cooldowns for the most part and just learn to use the guns, but I can certainly see how counterbalance is a game changer on some guns. However, I assumed when it was announced that the mods would be far more different that we have seen. I thought we would get mods that ad explosive rounds, firefly, outlaw, highlight sites etc. On the mod front though, I think (and expect) improvements over time is enough there.

I think Faction Rally was a massive missed opportunity.
    It looks like Iron Banner will be too - but maybe there will be unexpected story added with that. Fingers crossed.

The Raid not being rewarding is a big disappointment imo too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement