Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you go to the D1 page of this site and the "Stats" tab, you can see just how much time you spent in D1 in Orbit or the Tower.

For me it was ~950 Hours :pac:

https://d1.destinystatus.com/psn/genericdreadhead

Yeah - but thats you building a smoke. Your D2 stats are going to be similar!

I think the problem here is that D2 was probably well into the development cycle when RoI dropped, so probably not enough time to bring any preferred design choices over into D2. I'd say we will see more of the end D1 designs making their way into D2 at some stage.

Rise of Iron came out last september - a year between then and D2 release should have been plenty of time to consider the community reaction and implement what they took from that in D2.

IMO - D2 is a lot of deliberate design choices, or poor choices, but a restriction on time that meant they wanted to do X,Y or Z but couldn't.

Just look at fixed weapon rolls for example. We were a month or two from D2 being released and Luke Smith said they still had to figure out a way to make your 9th or 10th Better Devils drop meaningful or rewarding in some way. An absolutely core mechanic of a loot based game and they had 50% of it thought through about 8 weeks before release - that is just terrible project management and game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I would also agree that D2 is a better foundation than D1 was, but D1 was the first release. D2 should have, but didn't imo, take the lessons from Taken King, April Update and Rise of Iron. As I have seen said elsewhere, D2 feels like a very good sequel to Destiny 1 Vanilla - as opposed to a sequel to the the final D1 build.

Thats kind of been my take on the whole thing too. And I'd wonder how much of that is the shift in rebuilding the game suing different development tools.

Destiny was a poorly build wooden hut that was a "quaint" gaf on Grand Designs but it was a fully constructed domicile.
    Destiny 2 seems like they spent all the budget on the concrete foundations and walls and a hasty roof to keep the rain out, but didn't give it a lick of paint or do a snag list or get the window detailing to match the doors

Iron Banner thread just reminded me of another massive annoyance I have with Bungie....

They are talking seasons - in relation to Iron Banner here, but it seems like something more than that. They say they will talk about it October 20th.

1. Why have you not already told us.
    2. Why are you waiting til after Iron Banner has completed before telling us about a mechanic in it?

Bungie seem to have a habbit of putting out not enough information for no good reason. Though maybe the reason is "We don't know", like it was when they said they would talk later about the differences in style, meaning and rewards of the Comp playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Yeah - but thats you building a smoke. Your D2 stats are going to be similar!

Active Time Played
    1,413 hours 51 minutes

Not a healthy amount of time at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

I agree with the majority of the good vs bad points on the last few posts, but another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is strikes.

I ran hundreds of strikes in D1 but in D2 id be amazed (apart from nightfall) if ive even run 6 !

For a start they take a lot longer to complete and are very hard to 1 or 2 man plus the rewards are bad for the amount of time/effort that needs to be put in.

Also the fact that you can run 4 or more public events in the same amount of time AND get more loot negates the need to run the strikes anymore.

The importance of strikes/the raid seems to have been diminished massively weather by design or a misjudgement, but to me its a mistake.

Im sure most of the probelms will be resolved with updates/patches but again it seems like to me anyways that its all over too quickly.

Will i continue to play D2, yes most definetly.
    Will i put as much effort/time as i did in D1, no not with the current game as it is.

Ive had fun with it and glad i got it, but will probably go back to Zelda and maybe pick up a ps4 to try Horizon and put 2-3 hours a week in D2 for the time being.

Mcsirl wrote: »
    I agree with the majority of the good vs bad points on the last few posts, but another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is strikes.

I ran hundreds of strikes in D1 but in D2 id be amazed (apart from nightfall) if ive even run 6 !

For a start they take a lot longer to complete and are very hard to 1 or 2 man plus the rewards are bad for the amount of time/effort that needs to be put in.

Also the fact that you can run 4 or more public events in the same amount of time AND get more loot negates the need to run the strikes anymore.

The importance of strikes/the raid seems to have been diminished massively weather by design or a misjudgement, but to me its a mistake.

Im sure most of the probelms will be resolved with updates/patches but again it seems like to me anyways that its all over too quickly.

Will i continue to play D2, yes most definetly.
    Will i put as much effort/time as i did in D1, no not with the current game as it is.

Ive had fun with it and glad i got it, but will probably go back to Zelda and maybe pick up a ps4 to try Horizon and put 2-3 hours a week in D2 for the time being.

I think Strikes in D2 are a massive improvement on D1. Hell, I'd say a couple of them are more visually striking than the D2 Raid. The two Vex ones anyway. Savathuns song is fantastic from a story point of view too.

The strikes themselves, are fantastic.

The issue is they simply are not rewarding for the time/effort required.

Strikes seems like a weird afterthought and are actually far. far less intrinsically linked with the game world and it's story than before.

At least by the time TTK came out, you had some sense of why you were doing them based on quests etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Destiny is crashing a minimum of once a day for me, usually when flying to the tower, anyone else having issues?

dudeeile wrote: »
    Destiny is crashing a minimum of once a day for me, usually when flying to the tower, anyone else having issues?

Blue screen Error crashing? Not had it yet (maybe once?)

• Advertisement

not happening every day, but yeah - i'm seeing it a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Full blue screen crash, it was happening before then a patch came along and fixed it and then another patch came along and ****ed it up again and that is where it is now, never from activities and mainly on flying back to the tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I had an issue the other day where I could hear I had landed at the tower but the screen stayed black.

I couldn't open my map but could after I opened my inventory first, had to fly to another planet and come back to load in.

also at release I was crashing a lot (5 or 6 times in one night) but since then the game in a whole has been running pretty well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

SeanHarty wrote: »
    I had an issue the other day where I could hear I had landed at the tower but the screen stayed black.

I couldn't open my map but could after I opened my inventory first, had to fly to another planet and come back to load in.

also at release I was crashing a lot (5 or 6 times in one night) but since then the game in a whole has been running pretty well!

I wasn't in your party was I? I've been known to kill dudeeile's frame rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I wasn't in your party was I? I've been known to kill dudeeile's frame rates.

Nope, was in a party with Cal and Osprey.

but ill remember that the next time your in my party, I like to protect my frames :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Is it just me or is that nightfall significantly harder than previous ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yes happens regularly. Out of five attempts to get into the Tower on Tuesday, I got in twice. The first time I had forgotten why I'd flown in by the time I got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Finally my D1 warlock is ugly as sin, with his Devouring Maw helmet, Theosyion Vibrissae Gauntlets, Omnigul bond, and rocking the 'does not bow' auto , 'Dark blade's spite' fusion, 'barons ambition' heavy and the joyride shell.

Have to say, echo chamber was a great strike, not to beat a dead horse, but its a shame were were locked out of that one for a long time.

Must try and get my hands on the Jade Rabbit!! Is it now a random drop on XB1 or is it quest triggered?

Random drop.

• Advertisement

Must try and get my hands on the Jade Rabbit!! Is it now a random drop on XB1 or is it quest triggered?

RNG...

Went to my old farming spot last night 'the last tomb' dropped around 40 3oc's and got 4 exotics all armour :D

syboit wrote: »
    RNG...

Went to my old farming spot last night 'the last tomb' dropped around 40 3oc's and got 4 exotics all armour :D

My farming spot is the black garden mission. 3 Ultras, return to orbit, rinse and repeat.

SeanHarty wrote: »

Have had this happen at least once myself

My farming spot is the black garden mission. 3 Ultras, return to orbit, rinse and repeat.

can you not kill 2 and then get killed by the third, and restart the mission ?

I like the last tomb one as it gives you the axe to use to kill the bosses, can have the 2 killed and restart the encounter within 2-3 mins.

syboit wrote: »
    can you not kill 2 and then get killed by the third, and restart the mission ?

I like the last tomb one as it gives you the axe to use to kill the bosses, can have the 2 killed and restart the encounter within 2-3 mins.

No, if the 3rd one kills you, you spawn back to the 3rd one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Becoming burned out from this game already. The news that IB won't have power advantages enabled, no IB rank or bounties, and the prestige raid won't have any mechanical differences doesn't help.

The only positive thing I can see regarding IB is that it's a fixed game-mode, so you'll be able to play without the chances of Supremacy looming over you.

Very unenthused by the whole thing though
    AdamD wrote: »
    Light level should never be relevant in PvP. Why should you get an advantage for being a higher level?

It's literally part of the lore of IB

http://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/iron-banner
    Lord Saladin, once Shaxx's mentor, runs the Iron Banner tournaments to strip Crucible weaklings of their illusions and prepare them for a battle with no concept of fair play. The Iron Banner tests a Guardian and the Guardian's gear in a definitive, relentless mock war

Not that D1 lore or grimoire matters any more... It's all been removed from bungie.net

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im struggling with the game,i think a lot of the critique brought in the last few pages are pretty valid. My biggest disappointment was the campaign. It just didnt click with me,didnt really care about gary in the same way i did a crota or an oryx,even a bloody skolas for that matter,least there was a bit of mystery about him and the nines involvement in his release. Gary just bored me really.

Its not that objectivley i think its a bad game,just not clicking with me the way destiny 1 did so far.

I only came to destiny 1 quite a bit after TTK launched though so it may be that it just feels a bit shallower to me.

Friends who didnt like D1 are enjoying D2 and are wondering why im not on with them,all i can say is i feel theres other games currently im getting more from so its the odd session maybe once/twice a week for me. I havent even hit 280 on my main yet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

V9bjwPml.jpg

Guess I can level up my titan now, or possibly finally do the raid.

you've some nerve flouting that 305 Mida...... A MIDA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you've some nerve flouting that 305 Mida...... A MIDA

Well i do have others but mida pairs a lot better with salt than the others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement