Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Prestige NF is still bugged so you can't complete it, don't even try

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Prestige NF is still bugged so you can't complete it, don't even try

Super Good Advice

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sad that so many people ate already dropping off D2.

I get it, I've argued the many problems myself, but I was really looking forward to d2 continuing the first two years of long nights playing pvp and having a laugh. Just not happening, and looking like it won't.

I'm missing the social gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Sad that so many people ate already dropping off D2.

I get it, I've argued the many problems myself, but I was really looking forward to d2 continuing the first two years of long nights playing pvp and having a laugh. Just not happening, and looking like it won't.

I'm missing the social gaming.

Couldn't agree more.

Love social gaming hopefully the game will pick up and put stuff right with the expansions.

In the meantime, I'm playing Fifa and fortnite, feel free to join if you see me on. Fortnite is great craic and free.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Love social gaming hopefully the game will pick up and put stuff right with the expansions.

In the meantime, I'm playing Fifa and fortnite, feel free to join if you see me on. Fortnite is great craic and free.
    Tried fortnite and I stank at it. I've huge problems playing games I stink at cause I immediately blame myself for any loss and assume everyone else is hating me for it (reason I don't commit to trials)

I like the social aspect of destiny because I don't feel I utterly stink at it (though I kinda do) and it is mostly grounded in PVE.

without destiny I reckon my gaming will pretty much just die, cause I just don't see that social avenue my mental state will not destroy me over.

• Advertisement

you're too hard on yourself, people you play with regularly generally don't care about that kind of stuff
    I do feel the same but more so that I go a bit bezerk when things don't go my way and it's more embarrassing than worrying about letting people down

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you're too hard on yourself, people you play with regularly generally don't care about that kind of stuff
    I do feel the same but more so that I go a bit bezerk when things don't go my way and it's more embarrassing than worrying about letting people down

That may be true, but unless I play a lot of money for therapy I don't see it being a mentality I can get away from.

Irs why I don't play overwatch. If I play I don't have the skills to effectively counter the enemy as my team needs me to so pharah will make **** of us because I can't take her out with my soldier. That is absolutely costing my team mates. And I hate wasting their time on losses because of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Tried fortnite and I stank at it. I've huge problems playing games I stink at cause I immediately blame myself for any loss and assume everyone else is hating me for it (reason I don't commit to trials)

I like the social aspect of destiny because I don't feel I utterly stink at it (though I kinda do) and it is mostly grounded in PVE.

without destiny I reckon my gaming will pretty much just die, cause I just don't see that social avenue my mental state will not destroy me over.

I wasn't great at the start (still not great!) but what helped me a lot was waiting for as long as possible to jump from the bus, then I aim for a hill rather than a house which would attract more enemy's, then I take it easy and try to gather as much as possible, usually make it to the last 10/15 players at the moment with a few kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I'm the same, I tried playing different games over the years D1 was out and always found myself gravitating back to Destiny.. For me, it's Destiny or nothing.

Anthem may fill the gap (I doubt it) but for me, I just hope the expansions restore much of the content we know and love.

Bungie are quite active on the App forums replying to posts so I hope they are taking note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Think I've done 2 nightfalls since launch

Could not be arsed whatsoever

reckon I've done 2 or 3 and the worst part is that the nightfalls have helped me progress more than any other end game activity. Always seem to get the item I most needed.
    I like the new strikes in D2, but their use and some of the nightfall modifiers are just horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Well, we didn't ask for it but we got it!!
    This week's Nightfall is Exodus Crash.

A f***ing strike on a timer where the boss seems to disappear for minutes at a time. I think I hate this NF more then any other activity in the game.

Challenging content. I won't complain.

Still need a 300 chest. Got an energy weapon, two power weapons, two heads, arms and legs. RNG defying the law of averages yet again this evening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I just need a better helmet to reach 305. Highest one of that I've got is 301.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/76ysic/destiny_2_was_in_development_before_destiny_1/

Interesting read, it's what I've said myself that D2 was probably forked off an older build of D1, pre ROI. You'd suspect/hope that any of the later changes made in d1 will eventually come.

TTK came out two years ago. D2 forking from that build in no way excuses the QoL missing in D2. They had two years to implement the feedback. A year since RoI.

D2 just screams, to me, terrible project management and decisions - both within the D2 team and the wider bungie development team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm surprised at how unresponsive Bungie seem to be to the criticism presently. Going by reddit, sounds like the game is suffering serious losses of interest and player numbers, at least relative to where it was in D3.

I've had franchise burnout with games before and have gone from loving a franchise to absolutely despising it. I've no major issue with D2, sure it's not perfect and I won't be playing it as long as D1 but I've quite enjoyed it. I don't share the same antipathy* towards it as some of the community. I see youtube videos titled "D2 is the worst game I've ever played".... really?

*found an online thesaurus I'm trying out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

syboit wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/76ysic/destiny_2_was_in_development_before_destiny_1/

Interesting read, it's what I've said myself that D2 was probably forked off an older build of D1, pre ROI. You'd suspect/hope that any of the later changes made in d1 will eventually come.

Well in fairness there is plenty that they can add back in to make life easier for us.

Kiosks - They were simple yet brilliant in D1, bring them back so I can see what I am missing etc. I just dont understand why they didnt include this in D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I'm surprised at how unresponsive Bungie seem to be to the criticism presently. Going by reddit, sounds like the game is suffering serious losses of interest and player numbers, at least relative to where it was in D3.

If this bit is true, it would certainly explain why alot of the QOI brought in with RoI and April Update.
    EDIT 2
    /u/Rybear86
    I think it was on DCP Podcast where Watts told a story about looking at the Game Informer piece about RoI and her husband (Bungie Employee) had no idea they had made such major changes to Artifacts. Just because they all work under the same umbrella does NOT mean they are all on the same page.

If this bit is true, it would certainly explain why alot of the QOI brought in with RoI and April Update.

It may explain it, but doesn't in any way excuse it.

It just points to bad management structures, bad communication and a lack of interest in the actual players.

How can you be building a sequel to a game and be ignorant of the changes made to it over a two year period? Or, more importantly, how can you remain ignorant to changes that the community loved and applauded?

In essence, it appears they just straight up ignored Destiny 1 RoI and Age of Triumphs and all the feedback from that time frame? How is that possible? How can that be allowed to happen? It just seems insane.

Think about it....

Apparently Dev on RoI started January 2016 - so between then and July 2017...

People were playing Destiny in year 3. We played changes made the game in year 3. We commented and gave feedback on those changes - and one of the excuses we are seeing for the current sandbox for D2 is that the dev team weren't aware of those changes or feedback (or, over the course of a year chose not to implement changes based on that feedback?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

It may explain it, but doesn't in any way excuse it.

It just points to bad management structures, bad communication and a lack of interest in the actual players.

How can you be building a sequel to a game and be ignorant of the changes made to it over a two year period? Or, more importantly, how can you remain ignorant to changes that the community loved and applauded?

In essence, it appears they just straight up ignored Destiny 1 RoI and Age of Triumphs and all the feedback from that time frame? How is that possible? How can that be allowed to happen? It just seems insane.

Think about it....

Apparently Dev on RoI started January 2016 - so between then and July 2017...

People were playing Destiny in year 3. We played changes made the game in year 3. We commented and gave feedback on those changes - and one of the excuses we are seeing for the current sandbox for D2 is that the dev team weren't aware of those changes or feedback (or, over the course of a year chose not to implement changes based on that feedback?)

Oh I completely agree. It's inexcusable to allow that sort of non management / non communication / ignorance to exist in any studio, and one of Bungie's size and reputation.

One of the comments from that linked reddit article:
    I feel like D1 achieved longevity through both its PVE and PVP. Funnily enough, D1 had PVE that catered to hardcore players, and a PVP that was just fun above everything else. D2 did the switcheroo, now hardcore players have nothing to strive for in PVE, and the PVP is just sweaty and boring.

It feels like they've gone too far in catering for new players that will most likely drop the game after a few months, if not quicker. Making everything accessible to everyone (no more grind, forever 29 is lost in the annals of history now), fixed roles on weapons (still waiting on you Luke Smith to explain how my 10th Better Devils will mean something), they've kinda forgotten about us hardcore players (those of us who put in in excess of 1,000 hours into the first game).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would have taught the game would have lasted longer then 2mths or however long its out before the player base fell off this dramatically......real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't really understand why people miss having to farm for materials to level up, farm xp to level weapons, repeat the same activities over and over to get leveled for the worthwhile activities. D2 requires less playtime but you're still getting to play the good ****. The excess hours in D1 just went into grinding boring activities repeatedly.

People wanting more grind absolutely baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't really understand why people miss having to farm for materials to level up, farm xp to level weapons, repeat the same activities over and over to get leveled for the worthwhile activities. D2 requires less playtime but you're still getting to play the good ****. The excess hours in D1 just went into grinding boring activities repeatedly.

I don't get it either. Granted I didn't play much D1 (only started playing earlier this year), but it took a grand total of about 2 hours of leveling weapons for me to decide it was a load of tedious shíte.

There's plenty of things missing from D2 that were good in D1, but I don't think that's one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

AdamD wrote: »

Yep people miss spamming Omnigul for a God roll Grasp of Malok, which they may never use or only use a couple of times because pulse rifles don't suit their play style.

Yep people miss spamming Omnigul for a God roll Grasp of Malok, which they may never use or only use a couple of times because pulse rifles don't suit their play style.

been there done that, eventually got a good enough one for me (might not be godly to others), can say the same for the imago. Did a lot of that stuff during the barren times, kept me going anyways.
    Towards the start/mid of ROI grasp and that IB pulse were king in pvp, mine got plenty of use :)

Certainly don't miss the 60 motes of light needed to upgrade gear

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

For me it was farming the black garden strike for the God Roll Imago Loop. (or fakebringer as it was known)

Never got one but had a ton of fun trying.

Its not the grinding that I miss. I don't miss the rocket yard runs.

I also don't think I have seen people say they miss grinding for materials or for hours to upgrade a weapon. Not having to upgrade weapons in D2 is great.

My issue is the game is not rewarding of the time put in to it, because the loot pool is so small.

Strikes in D1 had Strike specific gear. If you wanted it, you ran the strike.
    Strikes in D2 have no specific gear and you can get the same loot drop from a Public Event that will take a fraction of the time.

Raids in D1 had Raid specific gear and perks - and gear which was locked to the Harder version, as well as being a source of gear to improve your light level.
    Raids in D2 have cosmetic only gear (as in no specific raid perks) and all weapons are available in normal mode, and normal mode will offer the same opportunity to increase your light level. Beyond an aura and access to another room in the tower, beyond the simply prestige of doing it... why run the prestige? After you have beaten it once, if it is as hard as we can expect it to be, why would you run it again over the normal mode? Why spend hours doing it for basically the same reward as spending an hour knocking it out on normal.

If I want to increase my light level in D1, i could play most activities and have the potential for a high end drop.
    If I want to increase my light level in D2, the only completing the raid will give me a chance of that from the raid - or completing the milestones, and hoping for the drop I need from them. Running the first three encounters in the raid won't help me. Running strikes won't help me. Running PVP (beyond Call to Arms) won't help me. Doing Patrols (beyond Flashpoint Milestone) won't help me.

Yes - I am a hardcore player, and there are players who will still get light bumps from standard activities - but even beyond the light bump, because my Hunter is one piece off being 305, everything they get (apart from milestones and exotics) will be 294 at best. 10 light under my level. Not even good enough to be decent infusion material. Yes I've put loads of hours in, but why shouldn't bungie have designed a game that catered to that player in some way? You know, the players that kept D1 going, the players that built the hype for D2? The players they might still buy the content drops?

Also, so what if people want to grind loads for a specific gun that is hard to get - is that not what should be at the core of a looter shooter? I said re-rolling weapons was a bad move in D1 because it made no drop really worth getting, and I think the same is true now thanks to the fixed rolls and small loot pool.

AND on the small loot pool - how f'n lazy is it that they have a small loot pool and IB STILL is just reskins? SO MANY RESKINS IN THIS GAME. Future War Cult handcannon is the same as the Crucible handcannon is the same as the Iron Banner handcannon - slap the right shader on any of them and they are almost indistinguisable from another. Remember Lingering Song, Clever Dragon? Remember them being unique and looking (and sounding awesome).

For me it was farming the black garden strike for the God Roll Imago Loop. (or fakebringer as it was known)

Never got one but had a ton of fun trying.

I've said it here before, but I ran the tankis strike over 100 times to try to get the "does not bow" auto rifle. This was in the days before the strike chests. Just took a notion to collect all the strike specific loot.

I could imagine plenty of others on here, couldn't be bothered to grind a strike for a gun for whatever reason, or you might have got lucky and got a good roll on your first run. But at least the option was there, same can be said for searching for ghosts/siva/touch fragments etc etc.

Would be interesting if you could break down your D1 times and pull out all the time you were just grinding, guns or materials for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    But at least the option was there, same can be said for searching for ghosts/siva/touch fragments etc etc.
    WHY ARE THERE NO DEAD GHOSTS TO COLLECT?

You have a first game in which you had dead ghosts to collect (collect-a-thon) and help tell a story.

You create a sequel in which you kill a hole heap of guardians and their ghosts.... and you don't have dead ghosts to collect? You don't use them as an opportunity to tell the story of the first game and even the world around it that we didn't ecxperience - or the time between the first game and the sequel?

No Dead Ghosts is utterly perplexing to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement