Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw Hush playing it on PC with a controller, switching to kb+m and then proceeding to get destroyed.
    kb+m is obviously the best way to play but it takes some getting used to, way beyond muscle memory, your brain just doesn't work when you transfer over at first, at least mine didn't last time I tried, on COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

When I was a PC FPS gamer, I used to always use KB+M... The accuracy is way better. There is only going to be one outcome if you have a 4 v 4 of gamepads v KB+M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Watching Mtashed's PC gameplay on YT this morning. Was going on how it was like a different game. Certainly looks like it. The movement and speed is incomparable to the console versions as far as I can see. MP Looked glorious. He was delighted although it may be because it was all shiny and new and the lack of endgame issues will arise soon enough.

Watched a few different streams last night. Amazing what PC can do for Destiny, at one stage it was top on twitch with over 160k viewers!
    Definitely seemed faster/more fluid even when your just watching it on a screen of someone else playing.

Funny to see some of the PC heads playing though, the usual Gothalian/broman with their large audiences but then other big PC streamers who never even played it could still get 20k + viewers!

One lass from spain/portugal I'm guessing deffo caught my eye for a few mins, or was it the tank top she was wearing. Might explain her 2k viewers, but I couldnt stick with her floundering around the place, couldnt even find devirm in the tower and she standing next to the church. Her chat was either <delete comment> , !marry me, !your cute, LOOK UPSTAIRS IN THE CHURCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Almost downloaded, I went to activate my code last night and ran into a region-wall. My Battlenet acount was created when I was in the US, hasn't been an issue up until now as I just manually switched game regions back to europe when installing but it would not accept the EU game code. Anyway a fair bit of paperwork and support ticket work later it's finally resolved and downloading. Great to hear they didn't mess this version up. I really liked the first but as much as I do like my consoles I hate playing FPS on them. Native KB+M glory for the rest of the week (I may have taken a few days PTO in preparation ;) )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lack of endgame can be a death sentence for multiplayer games on the pc, though this is mostly related to MMORPG's. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

As for the kb+m vs controller debate, there shouldn't be one. A skilled kb+m combo will always be "better" than a controller (as in, when both are played at the highest skill level, kb/m should always win). But it's absolutely about your preferred controller scheme. As a long time pc gamer, i'll definitely be using a kb+m, as i feel more comfortable using one and am better with it. But most of you lot would hammer me using a controller. Destiny 1 played extremely well with a controller, so i don't see any reason this should be different.

I do hope they look into the auto-aim issue on pc though. It could become a serious problem.

• Advertisement

It seems a lot of PC players are getting perma-banned for using 3rd party apps..
    In many cases, innocent apps that players may not even know are runnign in the background!

Lots over on Reddit about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/78klv1/hey_bungie_why_dont_you_use_that_same_magical/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

It seems a lot of PC players are getting perma-banned for using 3rd party apps..
    In many cases, innocent apps that players may not even know are runnign in the background!

Lots over on Reddit about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/78klv1/hey_bungie_why_dont_you_use_that_same_magical/

I can see them having problems like Aurors had with who was a Death Eater and who was some poor soul under the Imperious Curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The game really feels dead at the moment. I know certain times of the day/ week are always more likely to have more people playing, but seems every time I log there are ~10 people active.

Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

TheJ3z Destiny 2 Campaign in a Nutshell PT1

***Contains campaign spoilers***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

The game really feels dead at the moment. I know certain times of the day/ week are always more likely to have more people playing, but seems every time I log there are ~10 people active.

Sad

I played destiny 1 so much mainly for the banter and social side.
    There used to be pvp going most nights, admittedly got slow towards end but that was expected.

I just don't think destiny 2 has worked in general but for a variety of reasons it just never took off at all here like d1 did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well (touch wood) no PC ban. The only overlay'ish app I have running, or did, was EVGA precision X - pretty similar to MSI afterburner. I have to say I am impressed with the port. Performance was pretty good on a 1080, ~40-55 FPS on 4k maxed, now switched to 1440p and it's hovering between 65 to 80 so pretty fluid. It crashed 3 times on me but I narrowed that down to the gpu overclock (had caused no issues on anything else but I can't blame them when I am technically breaking the hardware rules). Customisation options are good barring audio which has very little granularity, even simple options such as effects/footsteps/ambience/music balance are missing. Gameplay is fluid and responsive.
    I haven't tried MP yet and not sure if I will if they don't confirm, or add an option to filter aim-assist on and off. I have no issues with anyone playing with a controller ( I have one on this machine, and have both current consoles) but aim-assist is a euphemism for aim-bot. If someone wants to compete 1-on-1 with controller vs. kbd then kudos, but it should not be with an aimbot in the middle. At the same time if there are controller users who want to compete with it on then fair enough, but have it as a filter I can opt-out of. I want my kills to be mine, and the good ones against me to be theirs.
    Anyway, overall the PC side gets a thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DinoSteve

jcd5971 wrote: »
    There used to be pvp going most nights, admittedly got slow towards end but that was expected.

I just don't think destiny 2 has worked in general but for a variety of reasons it just never took off at all here like d1 did

Its like pulling teeth to get a normal raid going nevermind a prestige one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46427

Usual stuff in the TWAB.... but this:
    1. New systems and rewards to give our most engaged players additional, optional pursuits.
    2. Better incentives for players who complete challenging Prestige activities.
    3. Better rewards and replay value for strikes, adventures, and Lost Sectors.
    4. Private matches for the competitive community (we are targeting early 2018).
    5. Crucible tuning like adjusted Supremacy scoring and better spawning rules.
    6. Better incentives for completing Crucible matches (and penalties for quitting competitive games).
    7. Continued improvements to Iron Banner and Faction Rallies, including uniqueness of rewards.
    8. Changes to make the mod economy more interesting and impactful.
    9. Ongoing improvements to Exotics, including adjustments to reduce instances of duplication.
    10. New ways to spend surplus currency and materials (looking at you Legendary Shards).
    11. An emote interface that allows players to equip Salty, Spicy Ramen, Six Shooter, and Flip Out all at the same time

Ok... reads pretty good. But, salt incoming:

1 - Why did the game ship without this?
    2 - Why did the game ship without this? The community were screaming about this the very second you said the only difference in prestige was (basically) cosmetics.
    3 - Why did the game ship without this?
    4 - Why did the game ship without this? Or at least why won't it be ready by first DLC at the latest?
    5 - Cool.
    6 - OK..... but unless you add ranked to competitive feck off with penalties for quiting.
    7 -Cool.
    8 - How did the game ship with the current version?
    9 - How did the game ship with the current version?
    10 - How did the game ship with the current version?
    11 - WE'VE BEEN SCREAMING FOR THIS SINCE DAY ONE OF DESTINY - HOW DID YOU SHIP THE GAME WITH THE CURRENT VERSION?

So, imo, 3 of the 11 things are grand to be based on feedback - the other 8 are just utter failures on Bungies part to create a solid sequel, based on 3 years of experience and feedback from people playing Destiny 1. I see all the streamers I following saying 'WOHOOOOOO, amazing update.....See, Bungie do listen!'. Bull****! If Bungie properly listened most of these points would have been part of Day 1 Destiny 2. FEC*ING BULL****

Oh, and new patch next week:
    Crucible
    Updated Mercy Rule settings to allow Mercy to activate slightly later in the match, allowing a wider range of scores to trigger it.
    Clash
    Reduced score limit to 50 (was 75)
    Control
    Reduced score limit to 90 (was 100)
    Reduced influence that enemy-controlled zones exert over the spawning system
    Survival
    Reduced round time limit to 2 minutes (down from 3)
    Reduced life count to 6 (down from 8)
    Supremacy
    Increased score-to-win to 70 (up from 50)
    We now grant one point for defeating an enemy Guardian
    Adjusted the influence that enemy crests have on the spawning system

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw Datto's video on this Conovar and he made the point a lot of this was in Destiny Year 3, why the hell did they take it out. It crossed my mind you might be Datto.
    Most of this stuff is being worked on he reckons some of it won't see the light of day until next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I've barely played with anyone so far, really sucks. Seems to be little interest in PvP, relative to D1. Raid isn't the draw it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I've barely played with anyone so far, really sucks. Seems to be little interest in PvP, relative to D1. Raid isn't the draw it should be.

I've been playing the feck out of PvP, I just usually end up jumping in solo like a big loner :pac: I'm up for it near enough any time I'm online if anyone wants to give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46427

Usual stuff in the TWAB.... but this:

Ok... reads pretty good. But, salt incoming:

1 - Why did the game ship without this...

Answer to all of the above is "to sell DLC adding said feature" I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

1 - Why did the game ship without this? 2 - Why did the game ship without this? The community were screaming about this the very second you said the only difference in prestige was (basically) cosmetics. 3 - Why did the game ship without this? 4 - Why did the game ship without this? Or at least why won't it be ready by first DLC at the latest? 5 - Cool. 6 - OK..... but unless you add ranked to competitive feck off with penalties for quiting. 7 -Cool. 8 - How did the game ship with the current version? 9 - How did the game ship with the current version? 10 - How did the game ship with the current version? 11 - WE'VE BEEN SCREAMING FOR THIS SINCE DAY ONE OF DESTINY - HOW DID YOU SHIP THE GAME WITH THE CURRENT VERSION?

So, imo, 3 of the 11 things are grand to be based on feedback - the other 8 are just utter failures on Bungies part to create a solid sequel, based on 3 years of experience and feedback from people playing Destiny 1. I see all the streamers I following saying 'WOHOOOOOO, amazing update.....See, Bungie do listen!'. Bull****! If Bungie properly listened most of these points would have been part of Day 1 Destiny 2. FEC*ING BULL****

Wasn't the whole reason that they had to build a new game( rather than expansion) that it took days to even make tiny adjustments to the world.

This update could roll out quicker than anticipated there's nothing too groundbreaking in it.

As for the tone of your post, it's like what you'd see on reddit, why get your self so riled up.

I played campaign did everything finished up and had great value for what I paid, and now clearing some great games from the backlog, if this update rolls out I'll come back, otherwise I'll see some of you in the first expansion.

I see it as a positive really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

That is brilliant. With this raid being communication heavy, fair balls to them for persevering with it.

The mercy rule is an odd one. Extending the score differential before it's activated? I've been on both sides of massive score differences and not once has Mercy kicked in. To me, they should be bringing it the other way.

Supremacy scoring increased? Oh holy hairy balls no. It'll be more painful than it is now.
    Wasn't the whole reason that they had to build a new game( rather than expansion) that it took days to even make tiny adjustments to the world.

Nope, they are using a completely new engine. There was always going to be a new game. They just needed a new engine to allow them to bring out updates and expansions faster, as, as you said, the old engine in D1 was so unwieldy they had to leave it over night to open and adjust even the smallest of things.
    As for the tone of your post, it's like what you'd see on reddit, why get your self so riled up.

I played campaign did everything finished up and had great value for what I paid, and now clearing some great games from the backlog, if this update rolls out I'll come back, otherwise I'll see some of you in the first expansion.

I see it as a positive really.

He's not wrong though is he? Everything they are looking at now should have been in the game at launch. They royally messed up the whole rewards economy. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to NOT have more than a shader / emblem / aura for completing the bloody Prestige/HM version of the Raid?

They are going to make Strikes and Lost Sectors more rewarding? No 5hit Sherlock. How they could tout Lost Sectors the way they did, only for the playerbase to realise they are effectively one-and-done encounters. No replayability to them at all.

Strikes. Who remembers strike specific loot? Who remebers strikes being integral to the story, as it was? Strikes in D2 are there for a Milestone and nothing more. No unique loot. No integration to the story, or A story.

The mercy rule is an odd one. Extending the score differential before it's activated? I've been on both sides of massive score differences and not once has Mercy kicked in. To me, they should be bringing it the other way.

Supremacy scoring increased? Oh holy hairy balls no. It'll be more painful than it is now.

I think it means they are increasing the ranges at which it kicks in - so it could kick in sooner, and even if you go past the initial Mercy point it could kick in later if things go totally one sided.

Until we see the numbers break down and an explanation it is just speculation on my part.

For Supremacy I though the same thing at first - but they are also giving a point for defeating an oppenent. at the moment you only get a point for the crest.

If they implement it the same as D1, its doubling the scores we get at the moment. They don't confirm that though - could be you get a point for a non-confirmed kill too, which would massively increase the scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kills are now worth a point as well as collecting the crest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

DinoSteve wrote: »
    Its like pulling teeth to get a normal raid going nevermind a prestige one.

I see posts like this, and I'm just like, you do know that almost no-one hear knows your PSN ID?
    You're severely limiting you options for scheduling a Raid if all we have is your Boards User Name.

There's ~190 clan members, we can't be all expected to know who DinoSteve is on PSN :o
    This is why so many of us of us enabled viewing signatures on Boards and added or PSN to our signature

I'm not having a go, I just think ye can set yourselves up for success better.
    In saying that, I do think the player pool willing to do the Prestige Raid is tiny since it's so unrewarding.
    We had our 6th drop out last night, and there was f**k all players playing D2 overall, never mind experienced/levelled enough to give the Prestige Mode a good run.

Tis a shame really, but we're trying to deal with the cards we're dealt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I set my stall out to give Trials a good run this time in D2, even got 8 wins in a row last week, a lo and behold they removed Trials for 2 weeks.

I preferred the social nature of 6's and I preferred feeling like God in D1 PvP. If I want to feel like a decidedly average grunt soldier in PvP I'll go back to BLOPS

Destiny PvP was fun to me because it was a bit silly and had OHK stuff and silly supers and etc.

I think everyone who wanted these sweet, tasty, primary-centric gunfights were heard.
    They got it, at the expense of some of the fun and what made Destiny stand out in the crowded PvP FPS market
    I've been playing the feck out of PvP, I just usually end up jumping in solo like a big loner :pac: I'm up for it near enough any time I'm online if anyone wants to give me a shout.

If you see me online, feel free to send me a party invite and I'll play a bit (if I'm not already committed to something)
    syboit wrote: »
    Are we a go for the Live-team ?

Yes. D2 is now firmly in control of the Live Team

I hope they do something soon.
    I mean, it's very repetitive at the moment.

Go to IO and do a public event (Cabal drill).. complete, now go over here and do the Cabal drill again. Done??? Now go over here and do the Cabal drill? Done? I don't think so... Over there... Do the.. Yup, you guessed it!!

Now you get an engram!

I set my stall out to give Trials a good run this time in D2, even got 8 wins in a row last week, a lo and behold they removed Trials for 2 weeks.

I preferred the social nature of 6's and I preferred feeling like God in D1 PvP. If I want to feel like a decidedly average grunt soldier in PvP I'll go back to BLOPS

Destiny PvP was fun to me because it was a bit silly and had OHK stuff and silly supers and etc.

I think everyone who wanted these sweet, tasty, primary-centric gunfights were heard.
    They got it, at the expense of some of the fun and what made Destiny stand out in the crowded PvP FPS market

If you see me online, feel free to send me a party invite and I'll play a bit (if I'm not already committed to something)

Yes. D2 is now firmly in control of the Live Team

I feel they should have gone the route of making a specific playlist for PvP that was focused on gun play over supers etc. I'm with you, I enjoyed the fun of supers flying, strong guns, even if that meant getting domed/ shotgunned on the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Kills are now worth a point as well as collecting the crest.

So Clash has been expanded from Clash and Control to Supremacy??

PetKing wrote: »
    So Clash has been expanded from Clash and Control to Supremacy??

depends on whether you have to get the crest in order to get the kill point too, as you did in D1.

I think I am right in saying you only get points for crests at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you stuck for guys to do activities or raid mate giz a shout, I will try organise a normal raid tonite if you want one done....no interest myself after getting the prestige done but its for the banter more then anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement