Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm still looking forward to the DLC, and I still have the day booked off work for it (even though it won't drop til 5pm).

But, it really is disappointing based on what we have seen, and I think that is a huge indictment of Bungie and their design decisions.

I think Destiny 2 has been a big misstep, with loads of small bad (imo) decisions that have all ran together to bring us a disappointing (imo) package. It feels like the feedback they should have taken from Destiny 1 was just ignored in the creation of Destiny 2.

I know dev cycles are issues, so to expect CoO to fix the issues people have complained about in D2 is a little too optimistic but:

1. A lot of the design decisions are, imo, obviously wrong and CoO should have been working on improving on things like the Mod system and Vault from the beginning. Maybe we will still see something on that next week. I doubt it though. What annoys me though is Bungie have said a lot of the feedback they have got has simply confirmed the direction they felt the dev would need to go - if thats the case then what are we not seeing the changes?

2. A big complaint in D1 was that the content didn't keep up with the players. We were told, with 2 new studios added to the dev cycle, that they were in a far better situation and were confident of providing a much better content road map. Again - we aren't seeing it. CoO doesn't look substantial imo. It looks like it will be a bit of fun for a bit, but not a real shot in the arm of playable content that is requried (and was required at the same point in D1). This looks almost exactly the same problems content wise that D1 had. WHY?

Additionally, I am bitterly disappointed that PVP isn't getting a refresh or update in this expansion. An expansion based on Osiris, the main focal point behind PVP in D1, and we aren't seeing a PVP change? We aren't seeing a new mode? Sure, I expect us to see some changes based on sandbox changes to weapons, but I'm very disappointed that Bungie looks to have generally ignored PVP, which was in a poor state from launch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Did you see the new heroic strike part of the stream??

When it was finished, just before the team opened the loot crate, Deej said "Now lets see this new sweet, sweet loot".. 2 tokens and a armour drop.

The silence from Deej for the next 5 seconds was deafening!!

I reckon after the stream, somebody somewhere got their ass kicked by Deej!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Did you see the new heroic strike part of the stream??

When it was finished, just before the team opened the loot crate, Deej said "Now lets see this new sweet, sweet loot".. 2 tokens and a armour drop.

The silence from Deej for the next 5 seconds was deafening!!

I reckon after the stream, somebody somewhere got their ass kicked by Deej!

The most rewarding Public Event ever: 2 chests with couple tokens and a blue. Wow. Thanks. Bungo be like....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

At least they're getting the same rewards as us. If it was 2 exotic engrams I'd be calling b*ll****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I'm still looking forward to the DLC, and I still have the day booked off work for it (even though it won't drop til 5pm).

But, it really is disappointing based on what we have seen, and I think that is a huge indictment of Bungie and their design decisions.

I think Destiny 2 has been a big misstep, with loads of small bad (imo) decisions that have all ran together to bring us a disappointing (imo) package. It feels like the feedback they should have taken from Destiny 1 was just ignored in the creation of Destiny 2.

I know dev cycles are issues, so to expect CoO to fix the issues people have complained about in D2 is a little too optimistic but:

1. A lot of the design decisions are, imo, obviously wrong and CoO should have been working on improving on things like the Mod system and Vault from the beginning. Maybe we will still see something on that next week. I doubt it though. What annoys me though is Bungie have said a lot of the feedback they have got has simply confirmed the direction they felt the dev would need to go - if thats the case then what are we not seeing the changes?

2. A big complaint in D1 was that the content didn't keep up with the players. We were told, with 2 new studios added to the dev cycle, that they were in a far better situation and were confident of providing a much better content road map. Again - we aren't seeing it. CoO doesn't look substantial imo. It looks like it will be a bit of fun for a bit, but not a real shot in the arm of playable content that is requried (and was required at the same point in D1). This looks almost exactly the same problems content wise that D1 had. WHY?

Additionally, I am bitterly disappointed that PVP isn't getting a refresh or update in this expansion. An expansion based on Osiris, the main focal point behind PVP in D1, and we aren't seeing a PVP change? We aren't seeing a new mode? Sure, I expect us to see some changes based on sandbox changes to weapons, but I'm very disappointed that Bungie looks to have generally ignored PVP, which was in a poor state from launch imo.

Also looking forward to it. More destiny so can't really complain. I think that CoO and probably the next DLC were already finished/set in stone ages ago, so they were never going to bring any QOL changes or tweaks like better vault.

The DLC is exactly what I expected, token driven loot, 4x4 pvp, few extra weapons/armour, couple of new strikes and probably a few new and returning exotics. No differences between it and the main D2 game we got. It will take a while for the live team to get stuck it and start weeding out the issues.

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    Also looking forward to it. More destiny so can't really complain. I think that CoO and probably the next DLC were already finished/set in stone ages ago, so they were never going to bring any QOL changes or tweaks like better vault.

The DLC is exactly what I expected, token driven loot, 4x4 pvp, few extra weapons/armour, couple of new strikes and probably a few new and returning exotics. No differences between it and the main D2 game we got. It will take a while for the live team to get stuck it and start weeding out the issues.

My main issue with this DLC is that it needed to set the tone of how DLC will be in Destiny 2.

On that basis, its not looking any different to the score/quality/change of pace we saw with the the DLC in Destiny 1.

Bungie and Activision claim they were ready for the players in Destiny 2, it has proven and, imo, continues to prove to be massively incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

So much whinging on the bnet forums and I've only just realised now that it looks like I wont be able to play it until the week after it comes out due to work/being out of the country.

booooooooooo

(i havent watched the streams so i'll be going in blind)

Watched a Datto vid earlier on the CoO DLC. He thinks, and will most likely be correct, that the DLC will be dismissed and not well received as it does not address any of the issues the playerbase currently sees the game having. For me, I'll take the DLC as it is and base it on that and that alone. How good is the Infinite Forrest. How much replayability is there? How good is the story element. How good are the Strikes and does the Heroic Strike playlist correct some of the issues on that side of the game.

QoL issues should be correctable with the need for any DLC. It's a whole new game engine allowing for easier and quicker changes within the game. The vault should be returned to Weapon / Armour / General / Consumables. We should have the ability to sort our vaults and have that decision stick. We should be able to mass delete shaders. Those I think should be manageable with on the fly game updates.

The economy (Rewards and Tokens) will probably require more time to make any significant changes to as they are both intertwined. Fixed rolls are not bad, but there is nothing to do with multiple drops (Still waiting Luke Smith). Location vendors should have an inventory which the player can purchase from using Tokens and Glimmer/Shards. That way the player can buy what s/he wants at a cost. Make it so that any activity completed in a location rewards Location XP which goes towards ranking up said vendor (Devram Kay in EDZ). We can then boost this reputation with location materials. (XP gains would need to be bumped up a little). This way you keep the RNG drops from factions, but also allow players to purchase a specific item from a location vendor at a cost.

They need to bring back Raid specific perks on weapons / armour. As of right now, the only thing that differentiates raid rewards is cosmetic. These sorts of changes will require more time on Bungies side compared to QoL changes.

Watched a Datto vid earlier on the CoO DLC. He thinks, and will most likely be correct, that the DLC will be dismissed and not well received as it does not address any of the issues the playerbase currently sees the game having. For me, I'll take the DLC as it is and base it on that and that alone. How good is the Infinite Forrest. How much replayability is there? How good is the story element. How good are the Strikes and does the Heroic Strike playlist correct some of the issues on that side of the game.

QoL issues should be correctable with the need for any DLC. It's a whole new game engine allowing for easier and quicker changes within the game. The vault should be returned to Weapon / Armour / General / Consumables. We should have the ability to sort our vaults and have that decision stick. We should be able to mass delete shaders. Those I think should be manageable with on the fly game updates.

The economy (Rewards and Tokens) will probably require more time to make any significant changes to as they are both intertwined. Fixed rolls are not bad, but there is nothing to do with multiple drops (Still waiting Luke Smith). Location vendors should have an inventory which the player can purchase from using Tokens and Glimmer/Shards. That way the player can buy what s/he wants at a cost. Make it so that any activity completed in a location rewards Location XP which goes towards ranking up said vendor (Devram Kay in EDZ). We can then boost this reputation with location materials. (XP gains would need to be bumped up a little). This way you keep the RNG drops from factions, but also allow players to purchase a specific item from a location vendor at a cost.

They need to bring back Raid specific perks on weapons / armour. As of right now, the only thing that differentiates raid rewards is cosmetic. These sorts of changes will require more time on Bungies side compared to QoL changes.

So Bungie ignored vast amounts of feedback in Destiny 1, and with their first DLC for Destiny 2 they are going to continue ignoring feedback because they didn't provide any development track to deal with any feedback.

This seems really fecking poor on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'll try it before I condemn it, but I'd be worried enough about it's length.

The only thing is I am getting to play other games as well so it's not a huge negative, got skyrim vr and Wolfe stein 2 so plenty to keep going with.

• Advertisement

So Bungie ignored vast amounts of feedback in Destiny 1, and with their first DLC for Destiny 2 they are going to continue ignoring feedback because they didn't provide any development track to deal with any feedback.

This seems really fecking poor on their part.

Too bloody right they did, and I am in no way apologising / forgiving / making excuses for them. The messed up. The game is now, too casual everybody wins friendly, and it's a crying shame. They said they learnt their lessons from D1 and it's painfully obvious they haven't. To have a sequel in development and NOT be in communication with the Live team (They would have had charts and tables showing what was in development and due for release during the life cycle of D1 from TTK onwards, when the game really turned a corner) is just pi$$ poor management. D2 is not a true sequel to D1, it's a new game in the same universe with the same characters.

I don't know how (in)feasible it would be, but , ideally, Destiny should be handled like WoW. Each new expansion ADDS to the game, so EVERYTHING is there.

They have taken the game in a different direction and the upcoming DLC is in that direction too. For better or worse. Fundamental changes to that direction will take time.

The Live Team did a great job with Destiny 1, hopefully they can do something similar with Destiny 2.

Bungie are not helping the 'situation' either by being so silent on all the issues that have been raised by the community, or on why they have decided to take the game in the direction they have. A little more communication from them on the much talked about issues and their thoughts, good or bad, on how to address them going forward, would go a long way with the community.

On the pvp side it will be interesting to see how much insight the crucible radio guys can get out of them - they did a 3 hour interview with two of the dev leads last weekend. First half released tomorrow, second half on Monday.

I know there will be fluff, but hopefully some proper insight into design decisions, and hopefully the CR guys will push them some on community response.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

PetKing wrote: »
    Discord was more active in discussing it. Was still a mediocre stream though.

Is this free to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Watched the stream, yeah bit underwhelming. They better give more loot than 2 tokens and some blue ****..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lol,caught with their pants down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This bit made me laugh.

" After reviewing our data, we agree that the system is not performing the way we’d like it to"

They were happy with the system performing until they were caught by the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Played a nice bit today of regular pvp and flash points just to chill out after coming back from the queen's of the stone age concert and have to say when your not pre judging it and play it for what it is, it's still a solid old game.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Played a nice bit today of regular pvp and flash points just to chill out after coming back from the queen's of the stone age concert and have to say when your not pre judging it and play it for what it is, it's still a solid old game.

Yep. Played some iron banner yesterday and a little today and had good fun.

When you can get a group going in PvP it's still good fun. I even now find Supremacy enjoyable. I like bring forced to play other modes - just wish the rotation was better.

I don't find much reason to run pve other than while waiting for people to play some pvp.

There us a good foundation, better than original destiny, but it's missing the pieces of destiny at its best and the smaller fire team in PvP has been a big issue since it was announced, never mind since the game released.

Pve suffers for lack of incentives.

Hopefully the stream this weeks gives us some changes required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Played the Division all weekend, this is what you've made me do Destiny 2, the frigging Division.
    Actually got caught up in it and played it obsessively all weekend, a game I was basically done with. It's going into it's 8th major update and there's a shed load of customisation and different viable load-outs, as far as I can tell. Still playing the same old missions but in different boots. PvP still awful.

syboit wrote: »

Just reading one of the comments there and it mentions chasing the Ghjallahorn in D1, S'probably true that a lot of people became obsessed with this and may otherwise have ended their interest sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Played the Division all weekend, this is what you've made me do Destiny 2, the frigging Division.

For me it's Warframe :D

I find Warframe overwhelming, every now and then I'll load it up, play and really enjoy it think I'm getting it and then discover something that leaves me confused. It's certainly fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I find Warframe overwhelming, every now and then I'll load it up, play and really enjoy it think I'm getting it and then discover something that leaves me confused. It's certainly fun

oh there's a massive learning curve alright! and then they drop updates which can change everything :p

great game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

free destiny 2 trial today according to their twitter.
    did they ever do that for D1? seems a bit odd/desperate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

jackrussel wrote: »
    free destiny 2 trial today according to their twitter.
    did they ever do that for D1? seems a bit odd/desperate

to be honest I cant remember them doing that but I could well be wrong!

if you only had the game for a short period of time it could play well and make you want it, just end game is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    For me it's Warframe :D

I only downloaded Warframe yesterday. Played it for about an hour but finding it so confusing.. Need to spend a bit of time online researching this game.

Cannot believe it's free. It's massive!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I only downloaded Warframe yesterday. Played it for about an hour but finding it so confusing.. Need to spend a bit of time online researching this game.

Cannot believe it's free. It's massive!!

Its a great game if you have the time to get into it properlly. Buts its no Destiny 1 :P

• Advertisement

he makes some good points on how we can never have a new ghally or icebreaker,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ng0WImoeEw&t=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement