Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I'm only missing a few from the T3 CoO also. Another thing to try over the weekend maybe??

I wouldn't buy any from Eris. They drop from bosses in the Court and around the Dreadnought.

Yea I'll be up for that... It's always easier in numbers.

The nightfall was a bitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yeah, I got kicked from the clan chat because I had a different clan tag to get that acheivement thingy. Kind of sucked because I have most of the guys on my friends list and was pretty active in the group and still play with guys from the boards clan but I guess thrm's the rules now.

You survived about 3 revamps, but after the Taken King we just had so many new people I had to make a call when we moved to the "One Chat to Rule them All"

As Fieldy said, you're welcome to rejoin. "Kicked" is such a strong word, more like selectively excluded :P
    I can add you to the Crucible Chat anyway if you like. That's not "Clan Only" (well I don't think we agreed on weather it is either way)

I was going to make a joke a few pages back about absorbing "Worlds Finest/Incompetent" but thought it in bad taste ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,390 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why not just make another chat room? Seems silly to exclude people because of what's written under their gamertag on the roster page.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why not just make another chat room? Seems silly to exclude people because of what's written under their gamertag on the roster page.

We had 2 chat rooms for ages. It was a fallacy. Had an overlap of about 60 members in both, people were just double posting, benefited no-one really.

As soon as they update PS Communities to have the below we can stop using chat rooms
    A) be easier to navigate to
    B) Give notifications instantly (and not when the server does a push)
    C) Be used from the App

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah communites is a bit of a mess at the minute tbh so hopefully they sort them out to get proper use out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,390 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    We had 2 chat rooms for ages. It was a fallacy. Had an overlap of about 60 members in both, people were just double posting, benefited no-one really.

As soon as they update PS Communities to have the below we can stop using chat rooms
    A) be easier to navigate to
    B) Give notifications instantly (and not when the server does a push)
    C) Be used from the App

But why remove someone like phlegmy who seems to play with a lot of people here from one of them just because of their clan tag? It's not like the clans actually do anything in the game bar getting a couple of trophies.

Managing chat rooms is not fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

In fairness to the PS4 clan mods - they have put a great deal of effort into setting up chats, communities etc and because of their efforts, they have increased the enjoyment obtained from Destiny for a very large number of people.

They have frequently re-done the chat rooms due to some muppet or other adding an even bigger donut and destroying the chat.
    Some things work better than others in the PS4 world, but fair play to all of those who have put the effort in. You all know who you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

nocal wrote: »
    In fairness to the PS4 clan mods - they have put a great deal of effort into setting up chats, communities etc and because of their efforts, they have increased the enjoyment obtained from Destiny for a very large number of people.

They have frequently re-done the chat rooms due to some muppet or other adding an even bigger donut and destroying the chat.
    Some things work better than others in the PS4 world, but fair play to all of those who have put the effort in. You all know who you are!

Lets be honest here, it's pretty much all Cormac. The rest of us "Mods/Admins" are riding on his dreadlocked coat tails, some of us still screaming VESTIAN DYNASTY.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But why remove someone like phlegmy who seems to play with a lot of people here from one of them just because of their clan tag? It's not like the clans actually do anything in the game bar getting a couple of trophies.

I can see your point - and I would say that if we want a dedicated Boards forum for destiny, it could be something held against us all - or should the request be for a boards.ie destiny clan forum, rather than a destiny?

The issue, really, is that the PS chat has a 100 member limit - so there has had to be some decision on who is in it and who is not; can anyone think of a better tool than the clan tag? THe other option, I suppose is to just set up more chats, but we all know it can get messy and irritating having a whole pile of chats.

The big problem, as I see it, is that it isn't possible to actively kick people from the chats - or manage an active player list within the chats. We hoped that the Communities feature would replace the chat and solve these issues, but it is a poorly implemented feature and hasn't proven fit for purpose. If we could kick inactive players from the chat, or we didn't have the 100 player limit (or both) we'd not be needing these discussions.

Overall though, I would say Cormac has been a massive driver of the community, and the burder of managing the chats and acting as a leader and organizer isn't light; so I've no criticism of anything he has done or his reasons for doing it. I get the argument against clan-only chat when it arguably should be a boards.ie community chat rather than clan - but its an awkward situation to manage and Cormac has done more (and better) than anyone else.

• Advertisement

Don't think a clan forum would be a good idea and would definitely get shot down. Don't think that kind of thing will be held against the forum request though either, you could even spin it as another reason why the forum would be a good thing as there'd be no need for exclusive chats when there's a dedicated forum on boards to make use of.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

The counter argument is why should members of the boards.ie clan be excluded from the boards.ie PS4 chat - especially when there are limited numbers and there are spaces being taken up by non-clan members. Removing non-clan members from the chat wasn't a decision that was taken lightly but it was taken for the right reasons.

Of the 100 members currently in the PS4 chat, I'd estimate maybe 50% currently play on a regular or semi-regular basis and this will inevitably decline further.

Ideally, if players no longer play Destiny and have no need to use the chat service, they should consider leaving the chat. This would free up places and would avoid situations like this arising in the first place.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

But yeah, pretty much what CDB and Conovar said, there's no 100% fix, so I (or we) try to cater to the 90% most of the time.

If we could remove people from Chats, that would make things 100% easier, but unfortunately we can't.

And as said, you have active new people like "johnnycivic" in the clan that are looking to Raid etc but cannot get into the Main Chat as it's got 100 people, some of which are inactive (which is fine overall) for long periods or not in the clan.

It's a tricky line to walk without burning people, or making others feel excluded.

But I thank ye for yer support and backing :)

What am I missing here, how did phlegmy get removed if it's not actually possible to remove people? was he just asked to leave? :)

I just think exclusivity is not a good idea when it comes to the clan and wouldn't be a goer if it the forum ends up happening, the boards clan should be an optional thing and I don't really get why anyone even gives it a thought once they've added a few people to play with. If it ends up being a thing where people won't play with new comers unless they join the clan then I think the clan should probably be disassociated from boards completely tbh. Something to think about anyway, like I said a forum could probably mean you could ditch the "official" chats altogether anyway.

On the PS4 it is not possible to remove a player from a chat group. Thus from time to time new chats have to be set up.

These are set up and the active clan members are added. How else would you propose setting up a "clan" chat?

Buy a PS4 Mickeroo and come and see how it works - then maybe post your comments on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What am I missing here, how did phlegmy get removed if it's not actually possible to remove people? was he just asked to leave? :)

I just think exclusivity is not a good idea when it comes to the clan and wouldn't be a goer if it the forum ends up happening, the boards clan should be an optional thing and I don't really get why anyone even gives it a thought once they've added a few people to play with. If it ends up being a thing where people won't play with new comers unless they join the clan then I think the clan should probably be disassociated from boards completely tbh. Something to think about anyway, like I said a forum could probably mean you could ditch the "official" chats altogether anyway.

I think your kind of missing the point man, no one is being "not played with" as they are newcomers, quite the opposite infact - the newcomers have their own chat for now (on PS4 anyway) and have been dragged into all manner of events with experienced Boardsie Sherpas

Phleghmy got removed as he was not in the clan at that stage, of course we were going to kick "non clan members" from the "Clan chat" to make room for Clan Members.

I don't mind disassociating the Clan from Boards but that kind of defeat the purpose of setting it up do you not think?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ah i think the way it is right now is grand, ok the 100 limit is a pain in the rear but thats how sony have done it so we have to just stick with it for the moment. Hopefully in time that will change and hopefully we have a destiny forum soon too and that would be brilliant for arranging games instead of getting chat notifications all the time.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words guys :)

But yeah, pretty much what CDB and Conovar said, there's no 100% fix, so I (or we) try to cater to the 90% most of the time.

If we could remove people from Chats, that would make things 100% easier, but unfortunately we can't.

And as said, you have active new people like "johnnycivic" in the clan that are looking to Raid etc but cannot get into the Main Chat as it's got 100 people, some of which are inactive (which is fine overall) for long periods or not in the clan.

It's a tricky line to walk without burning people, or making others feel excluded.

But I thank ye for yer support and backing :)

You mean my bribe didnt work :'( ah i dont mind cos the way we done it last week was brilliant and very well organised so well done for that one lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you gave him your bride?

If your bride doesn't work - mail her back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you gave him your bride?

Generic can invoke Prima Nocta?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you gave him your bride?

ninja edit :P dam you, I should have know from sherpa fest that I would get pulled up straight away haha

He didnt want my bride tho cos it wasnt manly enough for him :pac:
    nocal wrote: »
    If your bride doesn't work - mail her back!

Ah Cormac can send her back Im not taking back used goods:pac:

Honestly, the chat system has been working "fine" for 14 months. It's just not "perfect"

I don't want any of this conversation linked to anything to do with the Sub-forum request.
    They are apples and oranges to me.

The feedback form the 90% of members is they are 90% happy.

Once you let people add anyone we have issues (and we have had issues, ye just never hear about them here cause Me/Fieldy/Sniper etc will deal with it in the Chat Room), and in fact some people wouldn't even see know about those bad behaviours for the most part cause we move to kerb any nonsense.

Essentially me and the other admins act as a gate-way into the chat rooms, and on the whole, that works fine.

I don't think there is and bad blood on Phlegmy/Wesleys part, definitely not from us, we just had to make a call on picking 100 players out of 150(odd).

What we do to "remove" person from chat is we change the chat titles to "Everyone Delete this Chat", then pretty much everyone does, and finally I'll (usually in advance) have a new chat set up to add people to (excluding any problem makers or inactives etc).

Most of the old guard have experience with this system, and I provide regular updates to the chat rooms about changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

#justiceforphlemy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

It's right there in the terms and conditions...

It's right there in the terms and conditions...

Nobody ever reads them :P

This is honestly one of the funniest things i've heard all week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Anyone up for trying for the black spindle? I might be on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

syboit wrote: »
    Anyone up for trying for the black spindle? I might be on later.

Yea I need it for my hunter but it'll be 10pm or after when I'm on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yea I need it for my hunter but it'll be 10pm or after when I'm on.

Can't you just buy it from the wall for marks once you have it once ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement