Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You can check what Checkpoint you have on Bungie.net.... sounds like in the confusion earlier in the week trying to get den sweet Warpriest drops, that that was causing confusion.

On Bungie.net it will say "Bosses Looted" and have 5 boxes, so if 4 of them are full up, you have done Totems, Warpriest, Golg, Sisters but not Oryx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

This is getting a bit like deadline day. I'm being linked with everything.

All we need now is Jim White being slapped in the face with a purple dildo to complete that feeling.

Cormac... wrote: »
    You can check what Checkpoint you have on Bungie.net.... sounds like in the confusion earlier in the week trying to get den sweet Warpriest drops, that that was causing confusion.

On Bungie.net it will say "Bosses Looted" and have 5 boxes, so if 4 of them are full up, you have done Totems, Warpriest, Golg, Sisters but not Oryx

Ah but only if the the site is updated. Was running it the other night. Had up totems. CDB-WHOOP had Warpriest himself, or so he thought. Ended up at Sisters. Next day I checked progress. Had sisters on normal only, as I had jumped in to help few others, one a first timer.

Checked my checkpoint in game and it was sisters hard, evenue though site said otherwise.

Here's a screenshot of my raid progress. I know I have the Oryx CP on hard due to a mess up last night, as when I attempted to restart the raid, we ended back at Oryx.

To many issues to be just errors on our side.

If you fly in and Don't have a full team wipe, you don't get the Checkpoint.... learned that the hard way in Year 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Ah but only if the the site is updated. Was running it the other night. Had up totems. CDB-WHOOP had Warpriest himself, or so he thought. Ended up at Sisters. Next day I checked progress. Had sisters on normal only, as I had jumped in to help few others, one a first timer.

Checked my checkpoint in game and it was sisters hard, evenue though site said otherwise.

Checkpoint Done Beforehand - Whoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,251 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder if crucible is going to become a massive pain in the ass after the weapon 'rebalancing' this week.

At the moment I feel snipers are too easy to use by skilled or semi-skilled players, being a viable weapon at all ranges. With the nerf to shotguns I can see even more players becoming a camping sniper, making Crucible a really infuriating and boring place.

I wonder if crucible is going to become a massive pain in the ass after the weapon 'rebalancing' this week.

At the moment I feel snipers are too easy to use by skilled or semi-skilled players, being a viable weapon at all ranges. With the nerf to shotguns I can see even more players becoming a camping sniper, making Crucible a really infuriating and boring place.

Shotgun players will still try to shotgun. Or move onto Sidearms as they would be the next viable close range option. Maybe a certain archetype of Fusion Rifle will be in ascendancy. The can't control what the player base does, personally I welcome all these New Snipers trying out a new Weapon (I'm practising a bit), they make for some easy Blink-Shotgun fodder :P

Cormac... wrote: »
    Shotgun players will still try to shotgun. Or move onto Sidearms as they would be the next viable close range option. Maybe a certain archetype of Fusion Rifle will be in ascendancy. The can't control what the player base does, personally I welcome all these New Snipers trying out a new Weapon (I'm practising a bit), they make for some easy Blink-Shotgun fodder :P

For me, Snipers aren't surpressed enough by fire nor by movement (either players movement) and this nerf to shotguns will move more players towards snipers. I see it becoming a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

See my post above dudeeile, we were trying to start a new raid and jumping into the Oryx checkpoint.
    Maybe the update Bungie rolled out this weekend screwed something up, or maybe it was the lag but it was happening to a few people this weekend.

You need to press square when selecting the raid difficulty level to reset to the beginning on heroic. Pressing square to reset on the activity in the director as indicated only works on the base difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I'll be on at 8ish to get a warpriest run done if anyone will have me. :)

PetKing wrote: »
    I'll be on at 8ish to get a warpriest run done if anyone will have me. :)

There's a few of us running him from around half 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Last night was an unmitigated disaster. Lost my warpriest checkpoint on two chars. Ended up at Golgoroth despite nobody having a checkpoint for it, and on my Hunter we were put in straight at Oryx.

I've never even done Golgoroth on that Char so how we ended up at bloody Oryx is beyond me.

Glitchiness aside, we were making some basic mistakes on the totems. Can't really deny that. I know my timing was off in a couple of runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Glitchiness aside, we were making some basic mistakes on the totems. Can't really deny that. I know my timing was off in a couple of runs

I definitely looked down to discover I had been crouched and sniping the high boomer knight off the totem plate on one run... Oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They could probably do with toning the aim assist down on snipers a little bit. Though I'd take a sniper meta over shotguns every day of the week. At least snipers have a decent learning curve. Shotgun engagements have barely any. Worth noting that the pulse and shotgun nerfs will make Scout + sidearm more effective and more scouts will hurt snipers anyway.

AdamD wrote: »
    They could probably do with toning the aim assist down on snipers a little bit. Though I'd take a sniper meta over shotguns every day of the week. At least snipers have a decent learning curve. Shotgun engagements have barely any. Worth noting that the pulse and shotgun nerfs will make Scout + sidearm more effective and more scouts will hurt snipers anyway.

You need three or so scout shots to take down a sniper - who will have ample time to take you out from the range you are engaging with with a scout.

Snipers are just as viable at the range a scout should live at, but snipers are a 1 hit kill.

Snipers should require a calm enagement - being able to use it in a firefight at medium/short range should be night on impossible without a great deal of luck.

As it is, if you are skilled with a sniper it is a 1 hit kill scout rifle.

Yes, there is a learning curve to them, but that doesn't mean they are not over powered. They are viable at any range, which isn't true of the other weapons in the game. Fusion is not good at long range and movement speed coupled with charge time can make it tricky at close range. Shotguns aren't viable at anything more than close range (melee range now according to nerf notes). Side Arms are close range too.

Snipers should have their scope speed reduced, and the scope should jump about a lot more when under fire. The amount of ammo granted on pickup should possibly be reduced too so that it can't be almost used as a primary.

As for prefering a sniper meta over shotgun? IMO you can work to keep a distance between yourself and a shotgunner. A skilled shotgunner can't kill you from across the map and now they will (seemingly) have to be within melee range or close to it. A skilled sniper can 1 hit kill you from any range at all, and moving to a sniper meta will increase the amount of camping, which I don't see as an enjoyable meta.

If I was skilled with a sniper i'd probably be less salty because I would be exploiting the OPness of it - but much like I loved the Thorn, it was still OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They could definitely do with making it harder to land a shot for a sniper while getting shot at. I've lost plenty of engagements where I've hit first and get killed by a sniper as my shots are landing.

Not to bring a realism argument into a fantasy scenario but sniping should not be a twitch activity. I'd be much happier if they gave sniper rounds (or all rounds outside of lasers tbh) travel time, so players would have to account for that when taking a shot. Similar to BF, which has decent sniping mechanics for a mulitplayer game.

You can't bring BF mechanics into a game 10x the speed. Sniper flinch is quite large as is, aim assist and maybe ADS time is the real issue.

I also think its a bit of an exaggeration to say they're viable at any range. You can get kills with them up close but that doesn't mean you should be using them up close. From my experience, if I get the first pulse rifle shot on a sniper hes not hitting me, and when somebody hits me with a pulse I'm pulling out of the gunfight 'cause my screens gone nuts.

You can't bring BF mechanics into a game 10x the speed. Sniper flinch is quite large as is, aim assist and maybe ADS time is the real issue.

I also think its a bit of an exaggeration to say they're viable at any range. You can get kills with them up close but that doesn't mean you should be using them up close. From my experience, if I get the first pulse rifle shot on a sniper hes not hitting me, and when somebody hits me with a pulse I'm pulling out of the gunfight 'cause my screens gone nuts.

i've been sniped out of the air at close range while hitting them with a pulse. I've been sniped by a hunter in a triple jump while i'm jumping away myself - i've been sniped in many situations a sniper shouldn;t be viable in.

i've been sniped out of the air at close range while hitting them with a pulse. I've been sniped by a hunter in a triple jump while i'm jumping away myself - i've been sniped in many situations a sniper shouldn;t be viable in.

Being head shot sniped out of the top of my jump by a sniper who couldn't see me until he took the shot has to be my most ridiculous death. Wtf was he aiming at the sky for before I jumped around the corner.

• Advertisement

Why shouldn't they be able to snipe you out of the air lol? Do that pretty regularly in Trials, its not random, people jump the same ways all of the time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,388 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That takes skill though, not everyone would be able to pull off shots like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Being head shot sniped out of the top of my jump by a sniper who couldn't see me until he took the shot has to be my most ridiculous death. Wtf was he aiming at the sky for before I jumped around the corner.
    Would he not be watching the radar to see your movements and be ready when you jump around the corner.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That takes skill though, not everyone would be able to pull off shots like that.

it shouldn't be possible imo.

Much like a can't kill someone with a shotgun from across the map you shouldn;t be able to twich kill with a sniper at close/medium range.

Look at the nerfing they are doing to shotguns. Slower to reload. Slower to ready. Slower to shoot. Range changed.

Those are ALL nerfs that could and arguably should be done it a sniper imo.

If you don't one hit kill with a sniper, the second shot should take time to ready, to the point the person is away and gone.
    If you run out of bullets in the mag, it should take longer to reload.
    If you are not already scoped and ready to shoot, it should take time to ready the scope and aim in.

If these nerfs have been done to shotguns because people found them irritating, why can't they be done to Snipers when they are dominating play modes and maps?

Would love to see the trials stats for this weekend, reckon Sniper kills will dominate the kill stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

it shouldn't be possible imo.

Much like a can't kill someone with a shotgun from across the map you shouldn;t be able to twich kill with a sniper at close/medium range.

Look at the nerfing they are doing to shotguns. Slower to reload. Slower to ready. Slower to shoot. Range changed.

Those are ALL nerfs that could and arguably should be done it a sniper imo.

If you don't one hit kill with a sniper, the second shot should take time to ready, to the point the person is away and gone.
    If you run out of bullets in the mag, it should take longer to reload.
    If you are not already scoped and ready to shoot, it should take time to ready the scope and aim in.

If these nerfs have been done to shotguns because people found them irritating, why can't they be done to Snipers when they are dominating play modes and maps?

Would love to see the trials stats for this weekend, reckon Sniper kills will dominate the kill stats.

Its primarily a sniping map. That's like saying i wonder will the sky be blue tomorrow.

Why shouldn't they be able to snipe you out of the air lol? Do that pretty regularly in Trials, its not random, people jump the same ways all of the time.

Being sniped out of the air isn't the problem. I was far enough away that I was on the edge of his raidar. I jumped from high ground so was higher in the air than a normal jump and was killed within 0.5 secs of being visible. He had no idea I was going to be that high yet was still hard scoping the sky.

Agree with Conovar with the short range game, just had a guy quick scope me from 5 metres away and then immediately do the same to my teammate 5 feet to my right. Shouldn't be possible with a sniper.

Its primarily a sniping map. That's like saying i wonder will the sky be blue tomorrow.

So? the elvel to which they dominate that match shows there is a problem with the balancing of the weapon. No map should a particular gun type of map. They should be balanced to allow different playstyles rather than looking to force one
    How many maps would you describe as being primarily a map for any other gun type? Is Firebase primarly a sidearm map? Memento primarily a handcannon map?

Being sniped out of the air isn't the problem. I was far enough away that I was on the edge of his raidar. I jumped from high ground so was higher in the air than a normal jump and was killed within 0.5 secs of being visible. He had no idea I was going to be that high yet was still hard scoping the sky.

Agree with Conovar with the short range game, just had a guy quick scope me from 5 metres away and then immediately do the same to my teammate 5 feet to my right. Shouldn't be possible with a sniper.

What is the issue here? A guy happened to be aiming there and he killed you? Sometimes people do bizarre **** and get lucky, nothing to do with weapons being OP.

Still maintain short range sniping isn't reliable and not all that frequent either. I'd still nerf the AA a bit and I'd love to see special ammo halved again (half the boxes, all mid map) because primaries are almost non existent. FWIW I'm pretty sure I read today that on a weekly basis there are still 150% the amount of shotgun kills as sniper kills.

And maps are always going to suit certain guns, that has happened in every fps ever. If they didn't you wouldn't have any variation in map styles. Personally I think there are too many weapon types to ever get near true balance. The 4 primaries will never balance eachother out, shotties and snipers have a chance of being balanced, fusions are better off nerfed into oblivion. Machine guns will never match RLs unless they make RLs incredibly slow to shoot like they are in cod/BF/Killzone.

What is the issue here? A guy happened to be aiming there and he killed you? Sometimes people do bizarre **** and get lucky, nothing to do with weapons being OP.

I didn't say that sniper shot was OP, it was in the effective range for a sniper. All I said was that it was ridiculous. As you said sometimes people do bizarre ****.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,388 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So? the elvel to which they dominate that match shows there is a problem with the balancing of the weapon. No map should a particular gun type of map. They should be balanced to allow different playstyles rather than looking to force one
    How many maps would you describe as being primarily a map for any other gun type? Is Firebase primarly a sidearm map? Memento primarily a handcannon map?

It's an open map with long sight lines so of course it lends itself well to sniping but you can still use a shotty well on it if you know how. Of course certain maps suit certain weapons more, like literally every map in every shooting game ever made, but you can use any weapon you want and use it well if you know how to use the terrain to your advantage. Plenty folks run shotguns on widows court in trials and do well with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement