Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So? the elvel to which they dominate that match shows there is a problem with the balancing of the weapon. No map should a particular gun type of map. They should be balanced to allow different playstyles rather than looking to force one
    How many maps would you describe as being primarily a map for any other gun type? Is Firebase primarly a sidearm map? Memento primarily a handcannon map?

What i meant was players primarily choose to play with sniper rifles for Trials on that map.Whats this elvel thing??Is it the map that shows the most movement?If so then of course its going to show signs that the map has a high rate of sniping positions because again alot of people prefer to snipe on that map in trials. Its no indication that Sniper Rifles are OP , it indicates players personal preference.
    If you were to look at the same map movement for a game of control then its going to be alot different with a mix of players using everything.

And no firebase isn't a sidearm map its more of mix in trials , again down to personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,251 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What i meant was players primarily choose to play with sniper rifles for Trials on that map.Whats this elvel thing??Is it the map that shows the most movement?If so then of course its going to show signs that the map has a high rate of sniping positions because again alot of people prefer to snipe on that map in trials. Its no indication that Sniper Rifles are OP , it indicates players personal preference.
    If you were to look at the same map movement for a game of control then its going to be alot different with a mix of players using everything.

And no firebase isn't a sidearm map its more of mix in trials , again down to personal preference.

elvel is level spelled incorrectly.

I would argue people will gravitate towards the weapon meta that has the highest chance of victory rather than a personal preference most of the time.

also, I wasn't arguing Firebase is a sidearm map - merely pointing out that there isn't another map which you would describe as primarily a <insert gun type here> map. Tell me which map is primarly a shotgun map, for example? Or Fusion map? The fact you can say a level is primarily a sniper map would indicate there is a problem with the weapon. There are maps in which a mix of weapons are viable, but I would argue the twich scoping ability and AA of snipers makes them too viable in too many situations.

I would argue people will gravitate towards the weapon meta that has the highest chance of victory rather than a personal preference most of the time.

Usually the weapon with highest chance of victory is the weapon your most comfortable with , hence down to personal preference i would have thought.

also, I wasn't arguing Firebase is a sidearm map - merely pointing out that there isn't another map which you would describe as primarily a <insert gun type here> map. Tell me which map is primarly a shotgun map, for example? Or Fusion map? The fact you can say a level is primarily a sniper map would indicate there is a problem with the weapon. There are maps in which a mix of weapons are viable, but I would argue the twich scoping ability and AA of snipers makes them too viable in too many situations.

Did you even read my post??

I'll just post my point again here for you just in case you failed to see
    "What i meant was players primarily choose to play with sniper rifles for Trials on that map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

When it comes down to it we'll moan if we don't like the meta, we'll defend it if we do. Name an FPS and ill name the best gun on it, there's always one. I'm defending snipers 'cause I snipe a lot, you probably don't :pac:

I do think its better to have weapons with higher learning curves at the top though, the AR buff may ruin that as they are very easy to use. Again though I'm 100% with you on the ammo thing.

72be9e0ba8c53eea2a73ff818190f20f.png

Pulses: ~25%
    Shotguns: ~16%
    Auto Rifles: ~16%
    Hand Cannons: ~10%
    Snipers: ~10%
    Scouts: ~9%

That's in Control.

Trials is pretty different:

9835330d63719528361187159522621c.png

Snipers and Shotties alternate based on the map seemingly.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Snipers and Shotties alternate based on the map seemingly.

and yet shotties are being massively nerfed tomorrow and snipers are staying the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Best tactic I've come up against in Trials this weekend has been two Snipers and a Shotgun like Invective to press the orb after a kill. Only played 1 ticket this weekend and two teams destroyed us this way.

I think Snipers are the go to gun in Trials because they minimise a team's ability to own a body. If I die to a snipe, my team mates should be able to cover the distance and revive.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Ah but only if the the site is updated. Was running it the other night. Had up totems. CDB-WHOOP had Warpriest himself, or so he thought. Ended up at Sisters. Next day I checked progress. Had sisters on normal only, as I had jumped in to help few others, one a first timer.

Checked my checkpoint in game and it was sisters hard, evenue though site said otherwise.

I had the Warpriest cp on the hunter, you even joined on that cp at the weekend.

Sisters cp was on the Warlock and I changed to that character instead of the hunter. No big deal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I wasn't arguing Firebase is a sidearm map - merely pointing out that there isn't another map which you would describe as primarily a <insert gun type here> map. Tell me which map is primarly a shotgun map, for example?

As a primarily shotgun player the below I'd say:
    Anomaly
    Asylum
    Cauldron

I don't agree with Snipers being OP. They are the gun that requires the user to put the most time in to get a good return. I mean you have people going practicing "Twitch" scoping in Mothlands at stuff across the area cause True Vanguard told them thats how the good get good.

Also, you can't win a lot of game modes with ONLY snipers.
    I'm not going to talk about Trials cause yeah, the sniper is king there.

But you won't win many games of Control with 6 snipers 99% of the time.

Honestly, I've pulled off some Blinky/Slidey Triple-Downs in 3v3 with a Clip of Shotgun and a Melee that I just know the other team is like "How the F**k did he even do that".... just on the earlier point of not seeing how people could manage certain stuff.

Maybe a slight "Bullet-Pull / Aim Assist" nerf and increase the Zoom Multipliers to take the Near-Scopes out of ascendancy (Shortgaze, Ambush etc) and they are grand.

Jade Rabbit does a pretty good job of keeping them at bay, especially if you get the 1st shot :)

Shield Brothers again.

No Radar. Again.
    We deal more damage in the air and special weapons are favoured so I'm reckoning some Telesto love this week; especially with the fusion rifle buff on the way.

Golgoroth has challenged us, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The no radar modifier was a serious pain for the Sunless Cell one a couple of weeks back. The number of times I said "Where is the fu**er?" was staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The no radar modifier was a serious pain for the Sunless Cell one a couple of weeks back. The number of times I said "Where is the fu**er?" was staggering.

Actually enjoy that modifier on Sunless Cell. Makes the Aluk Hul encounter interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Shield Brothers again.

No Radar. Again.
    We deal more damage in the air and special weapons are favoured so I'm reckoning some Telesto love this week; especially with the fusion rifle buff on the way.

Golgoroth has challenged us, too.

Telesto is always loved in my loadout :P

Got all the sleeper simulant stuff done yesterday so when I get home later I have the last part of it to be done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    I had the Warpriest cp on the hunter, you even joined on that cp at the weekend.

Sisters cp was on the Warlock and I changed to that character instead of the hunter. No big deal really.

Ah yeah, not complaining. Just.... bewildered at the length of time spent trying to get the challenge done, which is done every other week without thought. Then, jump in last night to attempt, and he's down in second rotation. Simple as. No laggy shenanigans.

Went on to do Golgoroth, Wonda ran distraction, I was gaze holder, and he went down easy enough. We did have issues with orbs not appearing on anyones screen, or all but Wonda's.

Sisters, again got done eventually. Issues with platforms not appearing or light orbs not being picked up.

We attempted a run at Oryx (my first attempt at him on hard). Learning the no knight strat.

Ugh... seems like it has to be a different gazer each time for Gogoroth. Gonna be MESSY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Ugh... seems like it has to be a different gazer each time for Gogoroth. Gonna be MESSY.

Not really, if thats all it is. But I'd say it'll have to be a minimum of two orbs damage phases also.

If people don't know how to do the Gaze at this stage, they have no one else to blame. They've had 10 weeks to speak up. The silence when you ask people to do the Gaze is the same as doing the Sword against Crota.

I'd be up for doing it tonight with 5 others who have experience of doing the Gaze.

I know you, me, Sniper, Hot-Saucepan (dunno he is he still playing), N0Cal, DreadAxe, CDB and Cuhlcannon can all do it handily enough

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah the gaze is handy enough in fairness :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    If people don't know how to do the Gaze at this stage, they have no one else to blame. They've had 10 weeks to speak up. The silence when you ask people to do the Gaze is the same as doing the Sword against Crota.

I'd be up for doing it tonight with 5 others who have experience of doing the Gaze.

I know you, me, Sniper, Hot-Saucepan (dunno he is he still playing), N0Cal, DreadAxe, CDB and Cuhlcannon can all do it handily enough

Its not so much the issue of taking the gaze itself - I reckon trying to get it organised and co-ordinated between the six to swap the gaze holder during the damage phases is going to cause many wipes.

Easiest way i reckon is for gaze holder 3 to jump out of the pit as soon as gaze holder 2 takes it (and so on), so that they have plenty of time to get themselves set in position.

Can you focus his rage with a heavy or primary? I've only done it with a sniper but that sniper ammo is needed in the pit.

Not really, if thats all it is. But I'd say it'll have to be a minimum of two orbs damage phases also.

Reading you have to pop all six orbs per run - so the gaze holders will have to swap on the fly.

Will be tough to pick an order for that too because of the bomb and the inconsistency of whether it appears in the first place and the timing when it does appear.

• Advertisement

Can you focus his rage with a heavy or primary? I've only done it with a sniper but that sniper ammo is needed in the pit.

Provided you hit enough shots yes. If it's a Low impact AR you might need like 10 bullets to do it, with Jade Rabbit, it's 1 bullet I think. Think you just need to do X-Ammount of Critical Damage

Torn between having a BAD experience with that NF that turned me off NFs and wanting to try roll the dice to get some of dem new Exotics yo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its 6 gaze holders

I reckon the cursed thralls in the pit are going to cause a big problem.

Might need two people up top on gaze duty (rotating from the pit). 1 person on cursed thrall control (as much as possible). that leaves just 3 people DPSing at a time, with the possibility they get the bomb too - leaving just two.

Gonna be a tough one.

Torn between having a BAD experience with that NF that turned me off NFs and wanting to try roll the dice to get some of dem new Exotics yo!

With the modfiers favouring specials and airborne (for us) I reckon it could be an easy enough one thanks to telesto. Especially after the fusion rifle buff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Any idea what the reward is for challenge mode this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

AdamD wrote: »
    Its 6 gaze holders

Has been done with 6 gaze holders using all 6 orbs in two runs. Could end up being less complex as more teams try to refine the requirements like with last week where it was initially thought that you had to kill the Warpriest on second rotation.

I reckon the cursed thralls in the pit are going to cause a big problem.

Might need two people up top on gaze duty (rotating from the pit). 1 person on cursed thrall control (as much as possible). that leaves just 3 people DPSing at a time, with the possibility they get the bomb too - leaving just two.

Gonna be a tough one.

Just ALWAYS have the Bomb holder go on Ads as soon as they get the bomb, not a second later maybe?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,388 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

thegame983 wrote: »
    Any idea what the reward is for challenge mode this week?

Not sure yet, there'll be an emblem for sure and you'll likely get amour, not sure what the equivalent (if any) of the artifact last week will be though.

• Advertisement

Just ALWAYS have the Bomb holder go on Ads as soon as they get the bomb, not a second later maybe?

The bomb holder could be the person you have designated for next gaze holder. Or the bomb may not appear, or appear rather late (It is inconsistent in delivery)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement