Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NVIDIA driver

• 22-10-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. But I couldn't find the right one.

Anyways.

I have a PC running Windows 10. It has Intel HD integrated graphics and an NVIDIA graphics card. I have the experience app from NVIDIA and all that and I play Elite: Dangerous but when I log in the driver is missing and the card is nowhere to be seen, unless I open the machine I can see it is physically there.

I have the driver package on my desktop which I have installed many times over with no issues but this time the hardware is there as a Microsoft proprietary device which makes no sense.

Elite: Dangerous doesn't "prepare shaders" unless it can run through the NVIDIA card but this time is prepares shaders even though it can't see it.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Disable the HD card from motherboard, it could Elite sees that as the primary card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Disable the HD card from motherboard, it could Elite sees that as the primary card.

Yep, could be this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fir3Fly1995

dreamers75 wrote:

I did think of that. But it still doesn't solve the problem of windows not finding my NVIDIA card at all. If I disable the Intel card then I may not be able to see anything at all.

Check if Device Manager shows the Nvidia card. If it doesn't, there might be a problem with the card itself - you could try removing and reseating it. If it is there, you might be victim of Microsoft's absurd forced driver update policy in Windows 10.

I did think of that. But it still doesn't solve the problem of windows not finding my NVIDIA card at all. If I disable the Intel card then I may not be able to see anything at all.

You will need to plug the monitor into the Nvidia card, depending on motherboard this can be straight forward.

Its most likely not installed, can you confirm your motherboard and Nvidia card? If its a complete PC the brand and model is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Karsini wrote: »
    If it is there, you might be victim of Microsoft's absurd forced driver update policy in Windows 10.

Their wha?

Zillah wrote: »
    Their wha?
    All Windows updates in Windows 10 are mandatory, even drivers. Doesn't matter if their driver doesn't work as well as one you already have, it's still shoved down your throat.

I've absolutely no problem with mandatory security updates, but drivers are where I draw the line and it's exactly why I haven't used Windows 10 at home except for a few days of testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Huh, wow.

Guess I'll hold off updating for a while then...

All Windows updates in Windows 10 are mandatory, even drivers. Doesn't matter if their driver doesn't work as well as one you already have, it's still shoved down your throat.

I've absolutely no problem with mandatory security updates, but drivers are where I draw the line and it's exactly why I haven't used Windows 10 at home except for a few days of testing.

No it doesnt :confused:

All my important drivers are the ones I installed, Mobo GPU etc:

Windows updates are mandatory but not your drivers.

No it doesnt :confused:

All my important drivers are the ones I installed, Mobo GPU etc:

Windows updates are mandatory but not your drivers.

Believe me, they are mandatory.

My laptop needs at most 332.50 to be installed, otherwise I get strange delays when opening video files. If I install it, Windows 10 constantly pushes down the latest version, reintroducing the problems with video files.

Also, I have a touchpad driver from 2013 installed, but it insists on pushing a 2010 driver to the laptop.

• Advertisement

Believe me, they are mandatory.

My laptop needs at most 332.50 to be installed, otherwise I get strange delays when opening video files. If I install it, Windows 10 constantly pushes down the latest version, reintroducing the problems with video files.

Also, I have a touchpad driver from 2013 installed, but it insists on pushing a 2010 driver to the laptop.

Pretty sure that not in the released version but here is a fix for pre release versions

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-prevent-automatic-device-driver-updates-windows-10-1515918

My MSI updater controls all my Mobo drivers (GPU is MSI too).

Pretty sure that not in the released version but here is a fix for pre release versions

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-prevent-automatic-device-driver-updates-windows-10-1515918

My MSI updater controls all my Mobo drivers (GPU is MSI too).
    That keeps getting posted online as a fix but it really isn't. All it does is stops Plug and Play from checking Windows Update when a new device is detected. It doesn't stop Windows Update from pulling down its own driver set.

There's a tool that can be used to hide the driver, but it's only a temporary fix because when the driver on Windows Update is updated, you're back to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Press Windows Key + R and type dxdiag and hit return. When it runs have a look at the Display tab and tell us what Device name is there. (It should say Nvidia whatever)

Advertisement