Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burns & Applaws wet food?

• 22-10-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I've had gained so much Information & help from this forum. Hoping someone could help me out again.

My incredibly fussy 3yr old Boston Terrier has completely gone off kibble. So about a year ago we started feeding him the raw food chubs, which he loved at first. I stupidly bought him some Burns wet food pouches and tins of Applaws dog food. I have never seen him eat is food so quickly..lol..

I would like to know if the above types of wet food are good in terms of nutrition? I can't afford to feed him full time on these as they are crazy expensive for a 11kg dog. Hoping to feed him a mix of Chubbs/Burns/Applaws. I'd just like to know he is getting everything he needs from the wet food as I know some wet foods are full of c**p.

Sorry for the long post, he is really fussy and I know this is probably our fault. He lost a lot of weight in Kennels last year, as a result we have tried to feed him anything he likes to get the weight back on him. It was quite traumatic seeing him so thin.

PS - I've also tried lukkulus and Rooco..he never took to it. He would eat it eventually but never finished his plate.

Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Applaws wet dog food is not a complete food, its a supplementary food, so it needs to be fed alongside a complete food. Burns is complete so thats fine. I don't know much about raw feeding but I'm sure someone else will help there. Theres no crap in any of those foods anyway, thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Katrina101

Brilliant, thank you. I am hoping if I mix some of the Burns/Applaws with the Chubb it will get him eating the Chubbs again. As the tins/pouches are far too expensive to feed on their own.

Thanks for the heads up about the Applaws, I'll make sure to only give it as a mix.

Thanks Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

can understand how horrible to collect your beloved dog from a kennel to see s/he has lost a lot of weight :(

Fussy dogs are a pain for their owners - I have been there - whether they are fussy because of their owners pandering to the dog or a dog is born fussy would make an interesting discussion...

One thing down through the years I found my fussy dogs would ALWAYS eat is home cooked food. This can be varied, and can be done much more cheaply than any bought food. Basically a stew or casserole of whatever you can buy cheaply/easily, along with brown rice or potatos or sweet potatos, a bit of veg, put all in a pan, add water, boil, debone the meat, put in the fridge, and you can have enough food for a week. I use chicken thighs,or a bit of beef, or mince, or a bit of fishv(frozen whiting in Tesco is very economical) - added to the rice/veg when they are nearly cooked.

Add a raw bone, a chicken wing, a tin of sardines, a scrambled egg (any/all of theses) every week to the dogs diet, and he should do very well.

Advertisement