Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon blocking users who send back too many items

Options
  • 22-10-2015 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭

It was announced tonight at the end of BBC Watchdog consumer programme that next week 29th October, they will be focusing on Amazon customers who have been blocked for sending back too many items.

Thought I'd put a thread up here in anticipation of next weeks programme to see if any Irish users experienced this?

In general, I've found Amazon returns good as I think a lot of people have but interested in hearing any different experiences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll wait and see what they consider too many items before commenting. It's probably people abusing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

No wonder, there was forums dedicated who phished account info offline and said that ordered items on that account did not arrive and got the item shipped to different addresses. It was way to easy to say an item never came and get either a refund or replacement as long as the item sold was fulfilled by Amazon

OriginV wrote: »
    No wonder, there was forums dedicated who phished account info offline and said that ordered items on that account did not arrive and got the item shipped to different addresses. It was way to easy to say an item never came and get either a refund or replacement as long as the item sold was fulfilled by Amazon

Surely that's a completely different scenario to people returning too many items.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Surely that's a completely different scenario to people returning too many items.
    Still adding to the overall problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I'll wait and see what they consider too many items before commenting. It's probably people abusing the system.

You'll never get the true number, presenters will give single digits and rant on how unfair Amazon is etc. Amazon will appear but won't be allowed to comment on the real number and extent of the users returns so probably apologise!

Watchdog is entertainment and sensationalist at that, when they cover topics which I understand from my own industry experience you soon see how far fetched and exaggerated the complaints are

I just wish for once the company being accused would pull the file and rather than just apologise present the facts or a recorded phone call where the consumer clearly agreed to what they now deny

If people keep ordering for a look and then simply returning the free delivery etc by Amazon will have to be abolished or cost built in for all users to bear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thebiglad wrote: »
    Watchdog is entertainment and sensationalist at that, when they cover topics which I understand from my own industry experience you soon see how far fetched and exaggerated the complaints are

Have to agree,
    An old work colleague of mine a number of years ago worked with a customer who had made a complaint to them, our company picked up the complaint and sorted the whole thing out for the customer. Customer was seriously impressed with response and action taken and said he'd be getting back to WD and want them to express how happy he was with resolution and how it was handled.

The outcome was the show just mentioned the issue was being sorted into, customer happened to get back in contact with my colleague after the show aired and he was so pissed off they wouldn't air his actual update about how happy he was with the outcome. So its clear they just went with the complaint as it made "good tv" but they didn't want to provide the happy outcome.

As for this particular issue, I'd imagine its very much people abusing the system in some way or another. I've been an Amazon customer since around 1998 and can't say I have had any issues with them in this manner or any other really (nothing that didn't get sorted once I contacted them anyway). Always been very happy with how they've dealt with any issues I had and any returns when required were painless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I just wish for once the company being accused would pull the file and rather than just apologise present the facts or a recorded phone call where the consumer clearly agreed to what they now deny
    Data protection unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It costs Amazon to accept returns for non-faulty items as they had to pay the shipping for the original item and the cost of processing the return when it gets back to them

A company is under no obligation to sell to anyone, they can refuse to sell to anyone, except for reasons under the equality acts. If somebody is returning too much, it becomes economically unviable to deal with this customer as they would not be making any money from dealing with this customer and may actually be losing money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The kind of people who pile up returns are the kind of people no company wants as customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wounder if it's clothing being returned. Plenty of people buy clothes for a night out and return the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Del2005 wrote: »
    Wounder if it's clothing being returned. Plenty of people buy clothes for a night out and return the next day.
    Common Occurance with Penneys and Dunnes Stores womens' "fashions".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If people keep ordering for a look and then simply returning the free delivery etc by Amazon will have to be abolished or cost built in for all users to bear.
    +1, this is why I figure argos can be expensive. If I am unsure of an item I will go to argos as I know they have an easy returns policy and I view the higher price like insurance. I usually research the product well though and get a look at one if available.

There are many threads on airfryers recently and I was very surprised at how many people were talking of sending them back, I think some of them had used them too. I wondered if you could even send back a used product like this. The stuff I ever returned to argos was always easily resellable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course, the simple point is that there is no legal obligation on Amazon to offer free returns but they do offer it to entice customers. They do have a legal obligation to accept returns under the distance selling regs

Del2005 wrote: »

Clothing is probably the one type that is very difficult to buy correctly online, I am not surprised if clothing has a very high return rate and I doubt it will be the majority wearing it and then returning it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Isn't it like EU Customer Right to return any product during cooling off period for online buying:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

I presume there may be exceptions and specific agreements, but general rule is that customers are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days. If Amazon don't agree with such regulations, they can stop their trade in EU.

Amazon UK changed their return policy few months ago. It was very straight forward before, just 3-4 clicks. Now they have limited time (30 days?) and no straight return afterwards - customers have to go through long return procedure that involves seller and his will to return/replace item, even if broken. Pain. Stops me from buying as much as I use to buy before Amazon changed their return policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

zom wrote: »
    Isn't it like EU Customer Right to return any product during cooling off period for online buying:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

I presume there may be exceptions and specific agreements, but general rule is that customers are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days. If Amazon don't agree with such regulations, they can stop their trade in EU.

Amazon UK changed their return policy few months ago. It was very straight forward before, just 3-4 clicks. Now they have limited time (30 days?) and no straight return afterwards - customers have to go through long return procedure that involves seller and his will to return/replace item, even if broken. Pain. Stops me from buying as much as I use to buy before Amazon changed their return policy.

That is not the issue, customers are entitled to return the items, however they are not entitled to shop at amazon.

No rights are being infringed upon and it is absolutely right that amazon cut off the people who are serial returners. (There are other scams too that are extremely easy at amazon but I will not go into them, it's about time tbh they are working on it)

There is no legal right to free returns under the cooling off period. Some shops ask the customers to fund a return, others charge a fee and others offer free returns (like Amazon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

There is no legal right to free returns under the cooling off period. Some shops ask the customers to fund a return, others charge a fee and others offer free returns (like Amazon)

Seems like all EU regulations are worth nothing. Not the first time I came across so called "directives" that means less than paper they are printed on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Seems like all EU regulations are worth nothing. Not the first time I came across so called "directives" that means less than paper they are printed on...
    What EU directives are being broken or made worthless? None. The directives are doing what they were intended to do.
    A seller can refuse to sell to anyone if they choose so long as they don't discriminate on the basis of age, gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, race (and in Ireland, Traveller community). They can legally refuse to sell to people with an address in Cork, people with green eyes, or people who have an unusually high return rate. They also don't have to make it easy for returners by providing free return shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Not the first time I have seen someone misinterpret their rights either.

You have no right to shop where you please, it is up to the business if they want to allow you to trade with them.

You have a right to return items within 14 days that are purchased long distance over the internet or the phone, however you are not entitled to free return postage.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Not a huge amount of info on tonights programme on this topic- the only thing I got from it, is that if you're a heavy user purchasing a lot of goods, you might be blocked if you return too many (amount unknown) items.

Amazon had a chance tonight to explain their policy in more detail but didn't- we're none the wiser.

Not a huge amount of info on tonights programme on this topic- the only thing I got from it, is that if you're a heavy user purchasing a lot of goods, you might be blocked if you return too many (amount unknown) items.

Amazon had a chance tonight to explain their policy in more detail but didn't- we're none the wiser.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; it shouldn't affect too many of us,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i couldnt imagine they want to give out details of exactly what the limit is.

Advertisement