Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 phase light,problem

Options
  • 22-10-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to hear if anyone has ever come across an odd one, I wired up 3 poles each with 2 2 phase2KW fittings on them, 2 poles work fine but on one of them only one fitting works at a time. By that I mean when I turn on the mcb the RH fitting works then if I turn it off and back on the LH fitting comes on, so never both at the same time. They are wired to a cut out in the base of the pole then a separate 3 core cable goes to the switch gear in the chamber down low then on up to the head. Ive switched out capacitors and checked the wiring Ive even switched the phases around in case of some weird rotation thing but really I was just clutching at straws. Any ideas, I am stumped!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just a shot in the dark, they wouldn't be designed like that would they ? Ie interlocked to provide light if a phase failed it would switch over, I've seen fittings like this before for tunnels. You see it in long tunnels a lot but sometimes they do it with extra fittings, it looks like they only have half the lights on, but thats not the case there is a second cct on a different phase. So those fittings save a bit of labour.

I've seen them in large process plants too in hard to reach areas so its like having a spare lamp prefitted, used over large tanks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

cheers Stoner, no they are just floodlights on a pole. They are effectively two separate lights with no link barring the supply. I fitted out all the switch gear myself and the other two poles work fine. Its almost like their isn't enough power to spark both fittings. It also the nearest pole to the mini pillar so its not a length issue with volt drop. I had to ring my boss and it was embarrassing describing it and that its wired right, he came out had a look too then rang a few people who work for lighting crowds and they are stumped too. They are actually 2 phase with no neutral fittings so pretty unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

What supply have you at the pole ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Is it one single 3 core cable to switchgear that does both lamps on the pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

how many switch gear ??is (switch gear) control gear for light or are you calling switch gear isolating (lucy) pull hrc fuse with isolator handle?? picture in link
    http://www.lucyelectric.com/en/products/low-voltage/cut-out/outdoor-cut-out/street-lighting-cut-outs/

Assuming switch gear as control gear for lights then is the switch gear big enough to run the two lights..

• Advertisement

Hi all there is a 3 core cable to each pole 2 ph and earth it goes into a lucy cutout, I had to get the bits sent over from England to fit a second fuse so both phases are fused as obviously they come with PH and N, out of the cutout I have brought 2 separate 3 core cables into the switch gear chamber and into the separate switch gear for each light on the pole (2). So effectively 1 2 phase supply is feeding 2 2KW fittings. The fact that the other 2 poles are working is whats really throwing me. I don't have the specs for the switch gear thats fitted but it did all come from the supplier together and does work fine on the other 2 poles.
    getting 415 across the phases by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Do you need a neutralising link at the last fitting by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Did you try swapping the 2 phases on one 3 core cable after the Lucy cutout, so in effect the phases are changed round on one lamp while leaving the other the same.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Did you try swapping the 2 phases on one 3 core cable after the Lucy cutout, so in effect the phases are changed round on one lamp while leaving the other the same.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow worth a go, cheers.

Well I got sorted, turns out when the heads were put on the pole the flexes on these 2 heads were short and the lad who extended the 2 flexes only used 3 connectors instead of six, he must have thought that the heads went straight to the cut outs.
    The only part I didn't do, Im sure there is a lesson in there.
    Cheers for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

salmocab wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestions.

I think we invented a few things in this thread TBH.

Stoner wrote: »
    I think we invented a few things in this thread TBH.

I was clutching at straws myself, it was really annoying me. Should have belled those cables but, sure hindsight is etc etc.

Advertisement