Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard after a Masters/Post-grad

• 22-10-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

I'm a few weeks into a Grad Dip/MA course and I think it's a huge mistake and the encouragement I got from friends/family was all bad advice, and I should have been more confident about moving to a STEM postgrad. I think the course might be a complete waste. I got SUSI full funding to pay for the course (I'm from a jobless family, so I got the full rate) and a grant to live on from the year, but I'm afraid it's a huge unemployable mistake. People have encouraged me to finish out the year now, but I'm worried finishing it might disqualify me from a Springboard course. I'm planning to do some free online coding courses on Codecademy and websites like that and apply for a computing course, but the site doesn't say if it matters whether you already have a postgrad course done after your undergrad.

I have a BA and my current course is another Humanities Grad Dip/MA which stuff I've read since starting has convinced me is a terrible mistake, with no career possibilities. I'm financially fine but I might be wasting other people's money. I don't have programming experience but.....I have always liked computers? I did better than most of my class in transition year doing the ECDL even though they had home computers and I didn't?
    My BA was in English and History and my current course is Journalism. I came of age around the rise of the recession, I have little work experience. I have read mockery of people with similar educational backgrounds, and a few people in my class don't seem motivated at all, and two lecturers are missing for various reasons so we're behind on our course load. I have come to conclude I'm in a useless course being taught disastrously.

I was a failure in secondary school, so I didn't have anywhere near the points for a STEM course. I was diagnosed late with Asperger's Syndrome, and Limerick has no autism school supports, but going by aptitude tests, I think I could do a computing/programming course well, and it'd at least be worth the effort. I do really like the idea of Journalism and would want to pursue it but it's apparently impossible as a career and the reason why I was convinced I should study it (Media law, and responsibility of journalists) is not essential to have studied to get a job in it anyway.

Sorry for that ramble. Can you do a Springboard course having already done (and had SUSI pay for) a Grad Dip and/or Masters?

Advertisement