Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAT testing

Options
  • 22-10-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi there, just doing some research into a potential business venture as part of my business. I am interested in doing a PAT testing course with the view of testing and certifying appliances in workplaces.

Just wondering what kind of cost is involved in the training and equipment etc.

And in turn what kind of businesses would hire a PAT testing company in?

Basically is it worth my while to go down this route.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This has become very competitive, the days of charging per test seem to be gone, so people quote for a lump of it in one go. Possibly do it while they are checking the emergency lighting.

Very little money in it imho, its a simple job. Many places just do it in-house now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

Just wondering is there any pat course in Ireland that you actually get a city and guilds or a fetac qualification upon completion instead of an in house cert which isn't worth much ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just wondering is there any pat course in Ireland that you actually get a city and guilds or a fetac qualification upon completion instead of an in house cert which isn't worth much ??

I would not expect anyone to be overly impressed with a PAT qualification regardless of who awarded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

as said, its not a good idea, you need to be able to do a whole manner of things, it is an add on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

2011 wrote: »
    I would not expect anyone to be overly impressed with a PAT qualification regardless of who awarded it.

Id agree with you there but at the same time if your going to do a course I'd prefer to get a fetac cert or something out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

i think you get like 3euro per appliance tested
    appliances on the likes of safe construction sites have to be pat tested regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

every 12 months I think.

Advertisement