Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000mbps when some can't even get 10?

Options
  • 22-10-2015 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

This just baffles me honestly. Eir are pouring money into bringing 1gbps speeds to people even though mass amounts of people can't even get efibre yet? Is that not just a little mad? My nanny for example for 8 years has had 1.5mbps.. I mean get it together lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gavkeegan

That does sound a bit odd. Especially when so many people are using WiFi in the home, which has a natural limit of something like 56 mbps. If one is paying for something better (such as UPC's 200 mbps service) you will only experience that speed is using a fixed line connection that is plugged into the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

gavkeegan wrote: »
    That does sound a bit odd. Especially when so many people are using WiFi in the home, which has a natural limit of something like 56 mbps. If one is paying for something better (such as UPC's 200 mbps service) you will only experience that speed is using a fixed line connection that is plugged into the router.

What's even more amazing is they are commencing work on a gigabit network, when they haven't even finished or have no idea when they will finish their efibre network. Brilliant.

P.S: I get 98mbps wifi on my iPhone. It's your router man.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't even get BB you mean.... 4 miles from County town, 400m off the main road and they can't give wired BB. I laugh at that Eir ad where they are rolling cable down around some cliffs! 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

yop wrote: »
    Can't even get BB you mean.... 4 miles from County town, 400m off the main road and they can't give wired BB. I laugh at that Eir ad where they are rolling cable down around some cliffs! 

Christ that's not still a this it? Don't honestly tell me that there are still people who can't get broadband through a phone line? There is no way these con men are planning to launch a 1000meg service (speeds which no one needs in any hurry) and there are people with NO fixed broadband service? They'd want to be ducking ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

This comes thread from a lack of understanding of the technology. eFibre uses VDSL and cabinets fed by fibre. Because of the limitations of copper and VDSL technology, it only delivers high speeds up to about 1000 metres from each cabinet, and after 2000 metres it drops out completely.

True fibre, on the other hand, is not only cheaper than copper, but has virtually no range limitations and is thus ideal for Ireland's ribbon developments. For people who don't live in clusters that can be fed by an eFibre cabinet, it is the best chance of getting broadband. As a side effect, it delivers gigabit (1000mb) and can be upgraded to 10 gigabit in the future without changing the cable.

The only problem I have is that the rollout should have started years ago and is now not going fast enough.

To sum up:
    Fibre cabinets that feed existing copper lines are a great solution for clusters of houses, where speeds of 20-100Mbps can be delivered. However, for ribbon developments in rural Ireland, it would be too expensive to set up fibre cabinets due to their limited range. After just 1000 metres, speeds drop considerably, and after 2000 metres the technology stops working entirely.

Thus, for rural Ireland and ribbon developments, real fibre/FTTH makes more economic sense. It simply wouldn't be viable to place a fibre cabinet every 1000 or 2000 metres, where it might often only be able to serve one or two houses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement