Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a ticket office in train station?

Options
  • 22-10-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey I need to get a train from Carlow to Galway on Monday so I was wondering is there a ticket office where I can simply buy this ticket instead of going through the much more expensive job of getting Carlow to Heuston and then Heuston to Galway?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hey I need to get a train from Carlow to Galway on Monday so I was wondering is there a ticket office where I can simply buy this ticket instead of going through the much more expensive job of getting Carlow to Heuston and then Heuston to Galway?

Thanks.
    You can buy a ticket from Carlow to Galway at the train station in Carlow. The booking office is open from 9.45am Monday morning till 8pm Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You can buy a ticket from Carlow to Galway at the train station in Carlow. The booking office is open from Early morning till the last train.

Thanks for the quick reply, can you tell me where the booking office is? Is it in with the cafe or is it elsewhere?

Go through the gateway beside the shop and turn left and the booking office is through the doorway on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Go through the gateway beside the shop and turn left and the booking office is through the doorway on the left

Thanks very much man.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

My daughters buy their tickets online . She also used to go to Galway on the train from Portarlington if you had any way of getting there . Carlow to Portarlington is under an hour by car and Portarlinton to Galway is less than two hours by train .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

There are engineering works on the line this bank holiday weekend so some of the rail journey might be by bus . Maybe take a bus to Dublin airport and get the Galway bus from there as some of them are good value .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Thanks for the quick reply, can you tell me where the booking office is? Is it in with the cafe or is it elsewhere?

Foggy Lad, you're original (?) edit was correct one; Ticket Office is open from early doors to serve the first train out of Carlow til last one in evening to Dublin.

As for the "Café", tis more of an over-priced tuck shop!

As an aside be curious to know what OP pays for Carlow-Galway Retn.

Mid August I made the journey across on the Friday & back over on the Saturday evening (though couldn't make a/ny connecting trains home via Kildare so had to get JJs from Heuston) & it cost me €69.Something!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    There are engineering works on the line this bank holiday weekend so some of the rail journey might be by bus . Maybe take a bus to Dublin airport and get the Galway bus from there as some of them are good value .
    None of which will affect the OP who is travelling on Monday.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/October-bank-holiday-service-arrangements

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Foggy Lad, you're original (?) edit was correct one; Ticket Office is open from early doors to serve the first train out of Carlow til last one in evening to Dublin.

As for the "Café", tis more of an over-priced tuck shop!

As an aside be curious to know what OP pays for Carlow-Galway Retn.

Mid August I made the journey across on the Friday & back over on the Saturday evening (though couldn't make a/ny connecting trains home via Kildare so had to get JJs from Heuston) & it cost me €69.Something!)

My edit was to take the bank holiday into account, normally the station is open from much earlier.

Opening Hours

Staff Hours:
    05:30hrs-21:30hrs Mon-Sun

Booking Office Hours:
    06:00hrs-21:30hrs Mon-Fri
    07:00hrs-20:00hrs Sat
    09:45hrs-20:00hrs Sun

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2015.php
    Welcome to the Rail Users Ireland Fare Calculator!

This version is the November 1st/December 1st 2014 fare revision

Station From: Carlow
    Station To: Galway (Ceannt)

The journey distance is: 201.50km, fare zone PE future zone N

Adult Child Student Family
    Single €53.05 €26.50 €16.80
    Open Return €69.35 €31.00 €23.00 €132.00
    Day Return €61.80 €30.50 €82.50
    Annual €4,670.00

Advertisement