Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Window/Door Company in Limerick

Options
  • 23-10-2015 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭

Would Munster Joinery or Walsh Windows have the best reputation.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have bought from Walsh Windows and have no problem recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If you're getting new windows you should get the lowest possible u-value you can afford. A lot of people think that double-glazing is all the same, but it really isn't. You'll save a fortune in energy costs if you get the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Just be careful about what you buy. Lately we purchased an replacement window and got low E glass , A rated. Only problem was the finish of the strip between the glass, it seemed to be a rubber strip , with an ugly join.

When we queried it we were told that is the new style. It might be efficient but the finish wasn't great.

Older panes have an aluminium trim but that is not used in some of the new A rated systems.

Get a sample before hand and see what the finish wil be like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My parents used Curran Aluminium when they were doing up their house!! They were raving about them at the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I can highly recommend Senator Windows. They did a top job on our house and made good any plasterwork around the windows/doors. Even went so far as to fix the bay window that had dropped a small bit when they took out the old bay window. That wasn't their fault, by the way, it was just badly put in by a cowboy builder in the 1990's.

Okay, I know they're not the cheapest but hubby and I were very happy with the quality and service we got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Just want to thank everyone who replied to this thread, appreciate it.

Will be ringing everyone suggested here for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Villa05

Superior doors. Excellent and very reasonable from my experience with them

zulutango wrote:
    If you're getting new windows you should get the lowest possible u-value you can afford.

Not necessarily true, not much point in paying extra for a u value that is less than your walls as the heat you think you are saving from the windows will be list through the walls

Villa05 wrote: »
    Not necessarily true, not much point in paying extra for a u value that is less than your walls as the heat you think you are saving from the windows will be list through the walls

I'm afraid that's misleading information, because the very best performing windows are still not as good at retaining heat as the worst performing walls. I can't stress enough how you should get the lowest possible u-value windows you can afford as these are where the vast bulk of your energy and money are escaping.

zulutango wrote:
    I'm afraid that's misleading information, because the very best performing windows are still not as good at retaining heat as the worst performing walls. I can't stress enough how you should get the lowest possible u-value windows you can afford as these are where the vast bulk of your energy and money are escaping.

Have you some verification of that?

• Advertisement

Villa05 wrote: »
    Have you some verification of that?

Here's some u-value information from one of the more well-known glazing manufacturers in the UK.

https://www.pilkington.com/~/media/Pilkington/Site%20Content/UK/Reference/TableofDefaultUValues.ashx

The best performing double glazed window they have has a u-value of 1.7W/m2K. You'd be hard pressed to find a wall in a modern building with a u-value anything near that high. For example, the building regs (which are for new builds) require walls to have a maximum u-value of 0.21Wm2/K.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,27316,en.pdf

There really is a big difference between glazing and and walls when it comes to heat retention. If you're comparing very high performing windows (triple glazed) with very ancient walls, then the difference is less of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Would Munster Joinery or Walsh Windows have the best reputation.
    Personally I wouldn't give Munster Joinery the steam off my p1ss after the last dealings I had with them. Mediocre workmanship, sh1t service, sh1t attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I am looking to get my windows replaced, house is old'ish and the windows have seen better days.
    Who can you recommend in the Limerick area?

I have been told Mid West are good and also Senator windows but have also been told they are pricey?
    Also a lot of them seem to offer A rated as std but is one companies A rates glass better than another companies A rated glass particularly if the glass is sourced from the same manufacturer ie Vista Therm?
    Who / how are the old windows recycled / disposed of?
    Should my new windows be stamped with a BER or A rated marking? How do I find out the u-value and is the u value related to just the glass or the glass and PVC frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

A rated doesn't actually mean much. It's marketing.

U value is king. Your glass should have a u-value of 1.1 or if you spend a bit more you can get a u-value of 1.0. By law you have to be told the u-value of your windows which is both the frame & glass.

Another thing to ask is if the cavities in the frame have steel insert supports. If they don't your windows have that horrible flexible feel & tend to warp/not close as well as the strengthened type.

ok understood

so if the u value is good and te framed are rigid them I am left with deciding on who the best installers are?
    Any suggestions outside who I listed above?
    Or recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Hickey Aluminum

This is a family business and they do great work. I have used them four times now for very different jobs. Price is reasonable and materials top notch. Examples of their work found here:

https://m.facebook.com/hickey.aluminium?ref=content_filter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

yankinlk wrote: »
    Hickey Aluminum

This is a family business and they do great work. I have used them four times now for very different jobs. Price is reasonable and materials top notch. Examples of their work found here:

https://m.facebook.com/hickey.aluminium?ref=content_filter

+1 Used them recently. Delighted with their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

+1 Used them recently. Delighted with their work.

1. They replaced my old porch sliding door with a modern double door and glass side panels.
    2. Replaced leaky bedroom windows with double glazed and fixed dampness.
    3. Relaced old wooden back door with modern door.
    4. Knocked a wall in my leaky conservatory and removed a single door to replace a huge double door walkout to the patio.

They made our house way better, and gave great advice every time.

two options

1. Double glazed - Window U-VALUE 1.4, BFRC Energy Index 5, Solar Factor 0.47

2. Triple glazed - Window U-VALUE 1.1, BFRC Energy Index 12, Solar Factor 0.40

Obviously the lower u-value the better but what does "BFRC Energy Index" mean and "Solar Factor"

price difference between double and triple is around +12% but as the side of the house where the windows will be facing is North I think I need triple glazed plus there is some road noise also

feedback welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

I priced a few around town this time last year and Costelloes in Glin were the best. Beat walsh windows by over 20%. You need to get multiple quotes to make sure you are getting best value

• Advertisement

BFRC are a crowd in the UK that claim to independently assess windows for their quality. The higher the number the better the window.

Solar factor is a measure of the ability of the glazing to resist solar radiation through it. It's only important if you have a lot of glazing and very controlled indoor conditions, i.e. an office building.

I would certainly go with the triple glazed given the two options above.

Is this a new build?

thx but the majority of post on Costellos are negative - don't / won't take the risk on a big job...never worth it in the long run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    thx but the majority of post on Costellos are negative - don't / won't take the risk on a big job...never worth it in the long run!!

Where are the negative posts ? They did a good job for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

D & J Meehan, Killeely, have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Does anyone have any current opinions/info on uPVC window suppliers?
    Looking to get 7 windows replaced and quotes received so far for similarly specced windows are at a wild variance!

I used Munster Joinery and am very happy with them. Are they identical specs? As I've said before, the u-value is critical. The lower the better. You'll pay more for lower u-values but you will make this back in energy savings easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

zulutango wrote: »
    I used Munster Joinery and am very happy with them. Are they identical specs? As I've said before, the u-value is critical. The lower the better. You'll pay more for lower u-values but you will make this back in energy savings easily.

Yep in the main. Frame profiles differ but glass quoted so far is all Careys/Vistatherm low E coming at 1.1 double glazed and 0.9 in a triple unit.
    The price differential between the high and low quote currently is 100%!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

Dont forget if your south facing that you might be better to get Double glazing in those windows so get the heat gain internally from the sun.
    Thats what I did and got Triple glazing in the rear& side of house.

Depending on what heating you have it might make financial sense to go with the pricier ones. If you're paying a high unit cost for fuel then the expensive ones are more likely to be worth it, but if your unit cost for fuel is low, then it may not be as cost effective going with the more expensive ones. Without knowing more specifics about your house my inkling is to go with the best you can afford. Windows are a long term investment so savings will outweigh the higher cost in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Anyone here know a good window fitter? I'm looking to get a patio door in and I don't really trust the suppliers to fit well. I need to have a threshold fitting as a new floor will be going in behind.

I'd like to put in an insulated threshold and try to fit the window correctly with the wall insulation.

Anyone around Limerick who'd take the time to do this properly?

Advertisement