Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 6 | Episode 3 | Thank You [AMC] [SPOILERS]

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Cracking episode. Did not expect that death. It hurt me alot.
    I feel sad seeing a RV not starting. Just reminds me of Walter white chanting "the RV will start!" repeatedly.

Rick should have made a robot. :D

molloyjh wrote: »
    She'll want to go out there and find him.

If she reacts like she did when Beth went missing, she'll take it all in her stride.

If I lived in this apocolpyse world, I'd be straight into the nearest medieval store getting myself some chain mail armour simples.

I was wondering why they don't at least gear up in leather, which would be hard to bite through. Mind you, leather clothes, in the Deep south, in summer...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

storker wrote: »
    I was wondering why they don't at least gear up in leather, which would be hard to bite through. Mind you, leather clothes, in the Deep south, in summer...
    Most of them appear to be sweating like pigs, and they still have lumberjack shirts, woolly hats, you name it. No shorts in sight! Isn't Georgia infernally hot?
    That riot armour Glenn had for a while was the business. They should go all out to get some!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Most of them appear to be sweating like pigs, and they still have lumberjack shirts, woolly hats, you name it. No shorts in sight! Isn't Georgia infernally hot?
    That riot armour Glenn had for a while was the business. They should go all out to get some!

No shorts apart from Rosita when we first saw her, complete with lots of bare midriff. But I think we can forgive that... :)

Leather and/or riot gear would make a difference, though, especially if you add gauntlets to protect the wrists and hands, and gaiters or puttees for the ankles/lower legs. The toughest decision would be what degree of head/face/neck protection to use, as in additional protection versus decreased situational awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've deleted the last post.
    No discussion of episodes after episode 3, please.

Use the dedicated Episode 4 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Easily one of the best episodes ever

Only if it turns out that Glenn is actually dead.

If he's not, then it's one big jip. :mad:

Wibbs wrote: »
    One thing puzzles me a bit. Very early on they discovered(Glenn was even part of it IIRC) that if they covered themselves in zombie walker/biter/roamer guts it would put them off the scent and they'd ignore you. Why has nobody used this ruse since? Michone's previous trick of chopping arms and jaws off a couple of them and using them as camouflage another way out of a horde.

Because TPTB realised that it was stupid.

Kirkman dropped it in the comic too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tony EH wrote: »
    Only if it turns out that Glenn is actually dead.

If he's not, then it's one big jip. :mad:

The episode is still good, just the follow up one is terrible.
    Because TPTB realised that it was stupid.

Kirkman dropped it in the comic too.

It only doesn't work if you have to do something that alerts them to the fact that you are not like them IIRC

Comic spoiler:
    No he didn't, that crowd they are up against at the minute do it all the time, in fact, that is their modus operandi

I forgot about those guys. But, they're also dressed up as zombies and are acting like them too, IIRC. They're not just "smelling" like them, which is what was inferred earlier in the comic and the tv show and is whole deep level of dumb.

In order for the "covering your sent" angle to work in any way, it means that the dead would have to have some sort of super smelling sense that would make a bloodhound envious. It's utterly ridiculous to think that a rotting corpse could "sniff out" a human and it's one of the worst aspects in both the comic and the tv show and I'm very happy it's not a regular thing.

The only way I can take that "Guts" episode seriously is that the human characters have it wrong. It's not that zombies can "smell" cleaner humans, it's the actions of the humans that get them noticed by the zombies. In "Guts", the zombies only start reacting when the two guys start to panic and they stop "acting" like zombies.

I have to view it that way. Anything else is just stupid.

I it really is a case of simply covering yourself in zombie stink to avoid the attentions of the dead, you'd do it all bloody time. Plus, if zombies can actually sniff out humans, there are tons of cases where that dynamic has been conveniently forgotten.

• Advertisement

I it really is a case of simply covering yourself in zombie stink to avoid the attentions of the dead, you'd do it all bloody time. Plus, if zombies can actually sniff out humans, there are tons of cases where that dynamic has been conveniently forgotten.

But its very clear in the tv show and the comics that its not just the stink, its the actions as well. Zombies go for unusual noise, so if one walks into an empty container, they all go for it for awhile until they get bored.

It would appear in both that the zombies have a very simple but clear mechanism for attack, including movement, smell, actions etc. Most importantly, it only has to be one, not all.

It's don't think it was absolutely explicit in either.

But I definitely think that both Kirkman and AMC tried to go with the "smell" angle at first and realised that it would cause problems later on. When I first read it in the comic years ago. I rolled my eyes, I thought it was so stupid.

Either way, it's good that it's not a bolted on item and they should let the zombies keep some mystery, but every time it comes up I get uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Some good points above re smell.

One question is why don't the zombies go for each other? If one got a fresh feed, surely the other zombies would attack the first and rip it stomach out to get the feed? Or maybe this does happen off screen and we never see it.

According to Romero's original series of films, which 'The Walking Dead' heavily borrows from, the reanimated corpses will only feed on warm flesh, driven by basic natural desire to eat by a corrupted R complex in the brain.

In other words, when you come back, your "dead" brain is so ****ed up you want to chomp down on warm, living, flesh.

I guess the cold, stinking flesh of a fellow zombie just isn't kicking off that desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I guess the cold, stinking flesh of a fellow zombie just isn't kicking off that desire.

What about a freshly dead one?

I dont understand how there are still so many zombies about. What with the numbers of ones who eat dead people into nothingness, and the rate of decay that would leave them unable to get about, the numbers that have been shot in the head by groups like Ricks....... youd imagine there would only be the odd lone zombie about by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I dont understand how there are still so many zombies about. What with the numbers of ones who eat dead people into nothingness, and the rate of decay that would leave them unable to get about, the numbers that have been shot in the head by groups like Ricks....... youd imagine there would only be the odd lone zombie about by now!

A: Its not real

B: Zombies do decay but at a much slower rate and depending on environment they are in. It is theorised that the pathogen that causes zombism drives it to spread and thus recognises other infected beings and does not see a need to attack other reanimated corpses. The same pathogen slows the rate of decay to a fraction of what a normal dead body would decompose at.

If you see the as the seasons go on the zombies in general are looking more worse for wear than in the early seasons due to the slowed rate of decay and wear and tear.

C.) The reason why there is so many is because the whole world is infected, so everyone who dies comes back as a zombie, so there is an endless regeneration of population every day. Look at mortality rates across the globe and its scary to think how many fresh zombies would rise every day.

Who knows? I think they do still chow down on the freshly dead, so long as they're not "one of their own" as it were.

As for the numbers, again if we go back to the template (Romero's films) Dr logan in 'Day of the Dead' points out that "On revival, the rate of decomposition slows substantially...indications are that these beings could function over a period of years. In cases of early revival 12 to 15 years before decay would threaten mobility."

So assuming that 'The Walking Dead' is taking most of it zombie cues from Romero, the dead could be knocking around for a decade.

Unfortunately, like most or all horror films, if you analyse things too much, it'll tend to fall apart. in fantasy, sci-fi and horror there are things you simply have to take at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

A: Its not real

End of discussion so.

Cheers for the smart remark though, nothing like brightening other peoples day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

End of discussion so.

Oh don't worry about it. The same poster goes onto say 'it is theorized.....' in the next point. It's not theorized....it's made up to suit!

• Advertisement

Who knows? I think they do still chow down on the freshly dead, so long as they're not "one of their own" as it were.

They do, you often see them gnawing at fresh bodies, usually ones they have killed but they don't stop as soon as the person has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

I just read somewhere today where they said that there are 5000 zombies to every one human in TWD. Would that be right? They're fecked if so!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

snowgal wrote: »
    I just read somewhere today where they said that there are 5000 zombies to every one human in TWD. Would that be right? They're fecked if so!!

That would extrapolate to about 1.5m people left alive worldwide. If we are to assume that each country had a similar ratio of zombie to humans, that means only just over 60k people in the US would have survived. It seems too low to me, although I'm not sure what the figures would likely be in TWDverse. Perhaps not a million miles away either though.

End of discussion so.

Sorry I did not mean that in a snarky way. Rather the fact it is a fictional universe a certain amount of poetic licence needs to be taken into account.

The Walking Dead has its own universe so we cannot apply strict reality rules to a fictional universe, if we were the story would be difficult to develop.

For example if zombies decayed at a normal rate it would be over in a few months and there would not be much of story.

I went on to explain reasons in the TWD and other zombie literature why zombies are still around and some theory behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Funny thing is the walkers don't seem to need to eat, at least not to sustain themselves! Think about all the walkers even ricks group have come across trapped under cars or in buildings. Most of these were probably trapped since close to the outbreak about 2 years ago. In a way they don't even need to kill to reinfect. Everyone will die eventually either through starvation, thirst, other people killing them or the less likely outcome of old age.

The only point of eating seems to be to destroy and of course for its gore effect.

The only point of eating seems to be to destroy and of course for its gore effect

There is more theory that only the very base of the brain stem is still functional. The most basic and primitive part of the brain. This is what signals hunger. The zombie are constantly hungry/starving and this i why they seek out meat. This also explains why destroying the brain stops them.

They do not need to eat, and do not even have functional digestive tracks. The food consumed just rots inside them and blotes until forces out the other end.

I am getting this from both Max Brooks zombie books and TWD. Which have very similarly linked zombie rules and styles.

• Advertisement

Funny thing is the walkers don't seem to need to eat, at least not to sustain themselves! Think about all the walkers even ricks group have come across trapped under cars or in buildings. Most of these were probably trapped since close to the outbreak about 2 years ago. In a way they don't even need to kill to reinfect. Everyone will die eventually either through starvation, thirst, other people killing them or the less likely outcome of old age.

The only point of eating seems to be to destroy and of course for its gore effect.

Again, if we go back to Romero (who invented the modern zombie), the living dead act on a deep level instinct that functions in an imperfect way.

In 'Day of the Dead', they show a zombie with its stomach removed, but it still tries to bite even though it can't digest anything.

It isn't doing it out of hunger, it's doing it because it's rotting R complex is telling it to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother****er in the room, accept no substitutes.

Advertisement