Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid windows 10 box, how to get rid?

Options
  • 23-10-2015 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

I have a stupid box covering almost the bottom right quarter of my screen all morning saying "introducing windows 10 blah blah ". How do I get rid. There is no x or clicking elsewhere or nothing seems to work

Maybe I should just download windows 10?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mp22 wrote: »

That works (I did it on my laptop) up to a point. It stops the notification popping up but it also means updates have to be installed manually. Now it could be that I didn't complete the process fully but when I go into Windows Updates, 10 is still there waiting to be installed (however you can uncheck it before installing other updates that may be waiting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Go to TASK SCHEDULER

Find Microsoft>Windows>Setup>gwx on the right hand side.

Disable the 4 entries. The disable button is half way down on the left-hand side frame.

Worked for me. It simply disables the process from starting up. Simple solution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mordeith wrote: »
    That works (I did it on my laptop) up to a point. It stops the notification popping up but it also means updates have to be installed manually. Now it could be that I didn't complete the process fully but when I go into Windows Updates, 10 is still there waiting to be installed (however you can uncheck it before installing other updates that may be waiting)

If you hide the update does it still automatically update?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

No, it doesn't install automatically. But it's still there waiting for manual install. It means I have to manually check to see what updates are available and select the ones I want to install.

366737.jpg

Manual selection

366736.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

I have a stupid box covering almost the bottom right quarter of my screen all morning saying "introducing windows 10 blah blah ". How do I get rid. There is no x or clicking elsewhere or nothing seems to work

Maybe I should just download windows 10?

It annoys the hell out of me as well. It appears when I boot up. I can close it with the X though. It's good that there is a way of making it go away permanently. I don't want Windows 10. I am happy to stay on 7. I don't feel the need to upgrade. Also, it might not perform well on my 4 year old laptop with 4GB RAM.

Advertisement