Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCIE M2 SSD Vs SATA 3 SSD?

Options
  • 23-10-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is anyone using a PCIE M2 SSD in a desktop PC right now and does it offer significantly better performance than a standard SATA 3 SSD?

I'm buying a new desktop systemboard over the next few days and am wondering is it worth getting a board with an M2 PCIE slot for future use?

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've test a few PCIe SSDs in work. Yes, they are faster. I've not tested them in M.2 format though.
    I don't know if I'd spend the extra cash on one though.

I did some test last time and I might do some more tomorrow. I've put 20 Samsung EVO's SATAs in a server with 4 HGST PCIe FlashMaxIII's yesterday.
    I need to play around with raid configs and do some benchmarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I've test a few PCIe SSDs in work. Yes, they are faster. I've not tested them in M.2 format though.
    I don't know if I'd spend the extra cash on one though.

I did some test last time and I might do some more tomorrow. I've put 20 Samsung EVO's SATAs in a server with 4 HGST PCIe FlashMaxIII's yesterday.
    I need to play around with raid configs and do some benchmarking.

Cheers for the feedback Explosive_Cornflake. For the time being I'll be using a Samsung 850 SATA SSD but might might buy a board with an M2 PCIE slot for future use if there is a significant performance difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They can be faster, but unless you're running a write intensive db or something you wont see any difference. Certainly won't be noticeable with windows and day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

ED E wrote: »
    They can be faster, but unless you're running a write intensive db or something you wont see any difference. Certainly won't be noticeable with windows and day to day use.

Cheers for that ED E, makes sense alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Samsung just released new PCI-E SSDs which have a write speed of 1500mb/ss on the pci-e v3 bus.
    Far as I know though you need the new intel cpu's for the extra pci-e lanes (i think they support 40 lanes as opposed to 36 for current models) as otherwise you'll losing on the graphics side..

here's a good review on them

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-sm951-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-512gb/5/

• Advertisement
Advertisement