Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Detection Camera

Options
  • 23-10-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello All.

I am just wondering if anybody could offer some advice. I have picked a college project to carry out which involves farm safety. The idea is to distract a bull charging at a human.
    This could be done by placing a camera on a harness on the bull. Then a speaker on its ear. And a device in the middle to allow the 2 to communicate. The part that is puzzling me is as follows, is there a camera out there that would detect humans only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I think you'll struggle with that. Would you not be better off to just detect whether or not he's running: doesn't really matter what he's running at. An accelerometer should be able to detect sudden movements etc.

I've seen collars on cows before (plastic identification collars) and they were a disaster: getting caught in things and broken. Electronics on a bull will need to be small and well tied on! Might even consider implanting them if they're small enough.

It also begs the question "why not just attach a chain/ short rope to the bull's nose ring to trail between his feet?" Then he can't run easily (and it'd be much cheaper).

But don't give up, my great grandad was killed by a bull...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Cameras just create images.

There is a library called Opencv that can be programmed to recognise movement and shapes which sounds right for this task. It's in use everywhere from reading post codes on hand written envelopes to detecting movement in CCTV systems and probably for reading your reg plate on the M50 toll bridge. Commercial applications are trained with 1000's of images and you'll need some coding skills. I would reply on a system like this to save a life - too many variables.

http://opencvexamples.blogspot.com/p/learning-opencv-functions-step-by-step.html

Good luck

Advertisement