Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanging coins for cash

• 23-10-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Just wondering where to go to exchange coins for cash without being charged ~10% from the machines you see in shops. I don't think post offices do it anymore and cant really find much online with AIB.

Or alternatively can i lodge coins with AIB?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Tesco dont charge commision if you are going to spend the money in store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

homer911 wrote: »

I tend to use their self service checkouts to unload excess coins.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

You could lodge to your AIB account via the Post Office - the fee is €2 per €100 lodged. You can also lodge to your account in-branch, but many only take coin lodgements at specific days/times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless changed, they do. Just makes it look like they don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If you are friendly with a local shop they are likely to be happy to take them off your hands saves you both money! I have a couple of people who come in to me every now and then with all their change handy not having to order it from the bank especially now AIB only issue change from certain branches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I've lodged into AIB and CU a dozen times and was never charged.

Between €500 - €1,000 each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless changed, they do. Just makes it look like they don't

Perhaps I should have been clearer - they dont charge commission if you put the coins through their change machine and opt for a voucher to spend at their tills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you have a PTSB account you can lodge bagged coins for free.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Perhaps I should have been clearer - they dont charge commission if you put the coins through their change machine and opt for a voucher to spend at their tills

I think they actually do charge anyway.
    The machine says you can either exchange the voucher for cash (10% charge), or use the full value against your shopping.
    However the value of the voucher is after the commission was deducted, so you still end up with less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

+1 for the self service machines in Tesco. Just gotta be careful not to block them (have patience), go at a quiet time (to not be an extraordinary pain in the neck), and just hit "Pay balance with alternative payment" after to switch to the debit card to pay the rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement