Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build - i5 skylake for gaming. Advice and comment welcome

Options
  • 23-10-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

So this is going to be my first build and before I do anything I would appreciate some advice if I have gone wrong anywhere or could improve things a bit - all items sourced with amazon but will shop around before purchase:

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X - Gaming 3 Motherboard
    CPU: i5-6600K
    Fan: Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo
    GPU: GTX 980Ti
    RAM: HyperX Fury Black Series 16 GB (2x8GB)
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W PSU - Gold
    Case: NZXT CA-S340MB Midi-Tower Case
    Peripherals: Sumvision LED Keyboard and Mouse
    Monitor: BenQ 21.5inch GL2250HM
    Wireless Card: TP-Link N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Total build coming to circa 2k so really asking if I am getting the best bang for my buck? Any comments greatly appreciated! Hoping to pick everything up before Christmas so not under much time pressure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You could run a 144hz or 1440p monitor with that rig if you wanted to. 980Ti is dickswinging at 1080p60

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Thanks for that! That monitor was for budget purposes only but hope to upgrade to something more substantial should funds appear!

One more thing - I haven't accounted for sound. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

980Ti is dickswinging at 1080p60

Without a doubt the best comment i will read all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nice pair of AKGs or Sennheiser. Dedicated mic if you need one.

Built in soundcard will do unless you're a real audiophile, in which case you'll already own a DAC and gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Totally absurd to build a machine like that and then use a ****ty budget 21.5" monitor!

The 980Ti is designed for 1440P and even 4K panels, at 1080P it's completely wasted. You should change other elements of your build to fit a nice 1440p monitor.

For example I'd rather get one GTX970 or 980/R9 390 or 390X now with a 1440p monitor, and then add a second card when funds allow.

Also the motherboard and K CPU are pointless if you're not overclocking, if you intend overclocking that's perfect, but we see a lot of people around here buying really expensive boards and unlocked processors just on the basis that more expensive = better. It won't make a scrap of difference unless you are overclocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Kingston HyperX Cloud II gaming headset is the current recommended set

Advertisement