Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone app keeps freezing

• 23-10-2015 3:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The phone app on my mother’s iPhone 5 recently started freezing. While it’s like this calls still come through and can be made via the Contacts app, but the phone app is totally inaccessible. As are the phone settings in the Settings app.

The only way to fix the phone app (albeit temporarily) is to turn the phone off/on, or reset all settings. Killing the app from the multitasking screen does nothing. Doing a "hard reset" does nothing. Toggling airplane mode, removing the sim card, clearing recent contacts, etc, etc. I’ve tried everything, including restoring. No matter what I do the problem comes back after a day or so, sometimes less, usually after a few calls have come through.

The only thing I haven’t done is set it up as a new phone, which I’m reluctant do because I really don’t think it will do anything.

My mother recently ported her number from Three to Virgin which is around the time the problems started. Unfortunately Virgin’s customer support is pretty clueless about everything.

I’m at my wit’s end with this, so if anyone has experienced it before and can offer any advice I’d appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Is she getting the same issue with a 3 sim?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The number was ported over and I hadn’t tried a different sim, but you got me thinking:

The problem had become worse. Even after a restart, the phone app only worked for a few seconds at most before freezing again. If in those few seconds after a restart I managed clear the call history, the problem was temporarily resolved until a call or two came in. Then it would freeze again. Rinse, repeat.

I tried to narrow it down. First I turned on airplane mode and restarted. Phone froze within seconds again. I guess that rules out the network?

Then I removed the SIM card, restarted and phone app is working fine. So I guess the SIM card is bad?

EDIT: Never mind it’s still happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Could it be the screen ? The wife's iPhone 5 was having similar issues and it turned out it was the screen needed replacing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, it’s definitely not a hardware problem. The issue was carried across from her old 4s to the 5. And only affects the phone app. It seems to have started after the update to 9.0.2 and is still an issue with 9.1. Setting it up as a new device might fix it, but that would mean losing all text message, apps and locally stored app data.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

No, it’s definitely not a hardware problem. The issue was carried across from her old 4s to the 5. And only affects the phone app. It seems to have started after the update to 9.0.2 and is still an issue with 9.1. Setting it up as a new device might fix it, but that would mean losing all text message, apps and locally stored app data.

I had this issue too and it was really infuriating. Started when I updated to ios9. Was intermittent and didn't happen all the time. Randomly happen and couldn't call. Telling Siri to call whoever did work but I bit the bullet and restored as a new device. It did the trick and no more freezing of the phone app. Yes I did loose all texts but I traded that off against having a phone that worked. So restoring as a new device will most probably fix the issue. But yes it started once I moved to ios9. Hope that helps somewhat.

• Advertisement

I ended up restoring as a new device as well. Seems to have resolved the issue.

As an aside, despite using iTunes since it was released, I never encountered the full horror that is its device syncing until now. I understand now why people hate it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

I ended up restoring as a new device as well. Seems to have resolved the issue.

As an aside, despite using iTunes since it was released, I never encountered the full horror that is its device syncing until now. I understand now why people hate it so much.

I know the restore is a pain in the arse but least you have your phone working now. I used to have the same prob syncing with iTunes but since restoring, it all goes well now (fingers crossed). After the initial backup it all works swiftly now.

Advertisement