Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College course ...

Options
  • 23-10-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all , Im doing my leaving cert this year and i have no idea what course i want to do , done loads of research but still cant decide or get it narrowed down. Any advice as to what to avoid and maybe what to go for ? I will get around 320-380 points roughly.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

You have a few options, dont panic!

You could do a general arts degree in any big uni, which in your first year allows you to take on a few subjects and then in your second year (ie after you figure out what you like) you narrow it down. If you go this route, you may decide to also do a masters afterwards, but by that time you'll hopefully have a better idea what you love.

You could ALWAYs take a year out, get some work experience and see what kind of work you love then go to college after this.

You could take some of those tests for what careers suit you (take with a pinch of salt, they're guidance not 100% accurate) and see if you can do any interning or shadowing or interviews with people in those careers.

Talk to your career advisor, or anyone you know in your life who does something they love. Think of your favorite subjects, and figure out what careers there are there.

And you can always start a degree, and change to something else if it's not right for you! You have choices!

It's a lot to try figure out when you're focusing so hard on doing a big exam, so dont let it overwhelm you. You've got lots of time to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jcxx

You have a few options, dont panic!

You could do a general arts degree in any big uni, which in your first year allows you to take on a few subjects and then in your second year (ie after you figure out what you like) you narrow it down. If you go this route, you may decide to also do a masters afterwards, but by that time you'll hopefully have a better idea what you love.

You could ALWAYs take a year out, get some work experience and see what kind of work you love then go to college after this.

You could take some of those tests for what careers suit you (take with a pinch of salt, they're guidance not 100% accurate) and see if you can do any interning or shadowing or interviews with people in those careers.

Talk to your career advisor, or anyone you know in your life who does something they love. Think of your favorite subjects, and figure out what careers there are there.

And you can always start a degree, and change to something else if it's not right for you! You have choices!

It's a lot to try figure out when you're focusing so hard on doing a big exam, so dont let it overwhelm you. You've got lots of time to figure it out.

Hi thank you so much for your reply ,
    I was considering an arts degree at NUI Galway for your reason that you get to pick a few subjects and then narrow it down. The only thing putting me off is people say the class sizes are massive and that arts degrees arent good for anything other than teaching ... Which i think isnt true but still.

I could take a year out as i'll be only 17 doing my leaving so its an option although id rather go to college.

As for those career tests and my guidance counsellor i got business management for loads of them but i dont do business for lc so im not sure about it.

So my questions , is an arts degree good for other jobs than teaching? (I am thinking about teaching too).

Are class sizes really that big?

What subjects would you recommend?

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey :)
    An arts degree is indeed very general, which is why I mentioned doing a masters and other folks go on to be teachers. You dont *have* to do either of those, it just depends on what you find out you love and want to do. Because it's general, most things will require you to narrow down your skills and get specific experience. That shouldnt intimidate you, but it is good to understand your options.

Business Management is very general term, your guidance counsellor should work with you to scope it out. That can be anything from running a shop to running projects to doing sales to... basically anything that's a mix of communication and responsibility and management :) It can be very exciting, and doing business in the LC doesnt really matter because you would learn it all again in 1st year if you did business. Doing a degree in Business is another good 'general' qualification, though it is more specific than arts.

Class sizes are huge and always are in arts, but typically only for the first year. Subjects = I think most colleges do open classes in the first two weeks to let you decide, so you attend a bunch of them and then pick the ones you like. Only you can decide that.

And in general, more on the 'dont panic' message from me; college is about a bunch of stuff BESIDES your actual degree (though that is important too!). It's about getting to class on time, passing exams, managing a big workload, MAKING FRIENDS, getting drunk at lunchtime, joining clubs and societies (that's the best bit!) and making friends for life. A degree will help you in life, even if it isnt 100% relevant to what you end up doing. I work in tech, and I work with people who have degrees in music. Don't panic!

All of this is to say if you've figured out the college, and roughly the course, you'll be grand. Go to their Open Day, talk to lecturers, post in the NUI Galway forum (there is one on here) for specific advice about the Arts degree.

Then get excited! Then get the head down and study!

One last thing on the huge classes, this is true in any 'general' degree, but where you can really make friends is the clubs and societies. Get involved in ANYTHING you think you might like. They do a 'freshers week' where they all do stands to recruit n00bs and you should 100% go to this and make sure you join at least two! This changed my whole college experience.

Hey :)
    An arts degree is indeed very general, which is why I mentioned doing a masters and other folks go on to be teachers. You dont *have* to do either of those, it just depends on what you find out you love and want to do. Because it's general, most things will require you to narrow down your skills and get specific experience. That shouldnt intimidate you, but it is good to understand your options.

Business Management is very general term, your guidance counsellor should work with you to scope it out. That can be anything from running a shop to running projects to doing sales to... basically anything that's a mix of communication and responsibility and management :) It can be very exciting, and doing business in the LC doesnt really matter because you would learn it all again in 1st year if you did business. Doing a degree in Business is another good 'general' qualification, though it is more specific than arts.

Class sizes are huge and always are in arts, but typically only for the first year. Subjects = I think most colleges do open classes in the first two weeks to let you decide, so you attend a bunch of them and then pick the ones you like. Only you can decide that.

And in general, more on the 'dont panic' message from me; college is about a bunch of stuff BESIDES your actual degree (though that is important too!). It's about getting to class on time, passing exams, managing a big workload, MAKING FRIENDS, getting drunk at lunchtime, joining clubs and societies (that's the best bit!) and making friends for life. A degree will help you in life, even if it isnt 100% relevant to what you end up doing. I work in tech, and I work with people who have degrees in music. Don't panic!

All of this is to say if you've figured out the college, and roughly the course, you'll be grand. Go to their Open Day, talk to lecturers, post in the NUI Galway forum (there is one on here) for specific advice about the Arts degree.

Then get excited! Then get the head down and study!

One last thing on the huge classes, this is true in any 'general' degree, but where you can really make friends is the clubs and societies. Get involved in ANYTHING you think you might like. They do a 'freshers week' where they all do stands to recruit n00bs and you should 100% go to this and make sure you join at least two! This changed my whole college experience.

An Arts degree is looking likely but if i was going for a job would employers prefer someone with a more specific degree than my arts degree? Also what do you mean class sizes are only huge for first year?

Okay so they start from scratch in business degrees?

Im into sport so i think i could meet people there.

Thats good to know that i have many options after my degree.

Im from donegal so would have to move to galway if i was attending Nui , would corrib village be good , it sounds good haha ;)

Employers like many things, a degree is usually the first thing. After that it depends on the job.
    Business degrees do start from zero, but you'll have to do some extra work to catch up from other people who did do business.
    When I considered NUIG ten years ago, Corrib looked fab. You'd have to ask in the NUIG forum though.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement

Employers like many things, a degree is usually the first thing. After that it depends on the job.
    Business degrees do start from zero, but you'll have to do some extra work to catch up from other people who did do business.
    When I considered NUIG ten years ago, Corrib looked fab. You'd have to ask in the NUIG forum though.
    Good luck!

Okay , thank you for all your replies really helpful ! :)

Advertisement