Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DF Win in International Sniper Comp

• 23-10-2015 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Good going by the sound of it.......
    The Irish Defence Forces Special Forces unit the Army Ranger Wing ('Sciathan Fíanóglach an Airm') won both the International and overall categories in the United States Sniper Competition in Fort Benning Georgia. Facing competition from 36 other teams drawn from the U.S military, international military and U.S state and federal law enforcement, this is the first time that an International team has won both the overall and International competition categories.

The winner of the domestic Defence Forces Sniper Concentration is automatically selected to represent the Irish Defence Forces at this competition. The team is a sniper pair (shooter and spotter) and a team coach. Other teams entered included the U.S Rangers, Airborne, Marine Corps and Mountain Divisions, the F.B.I Swat Team as well as teams from Britain, Canada, Germany and Denmark. The competition takes place over 4 arduous days in the Deep South marsh and bush lands, encompassing 16 individual challenges with very little rest between. Tests include a sniper stalk, movement shoots by day and night, obstacle courses, pistol shoots, stress shoots and unknown distance shoots.

Last year the previous Defence Forces sniper champions, the 27th Infantry Battalion from Aiken Barracks, Dundalk, came second in the International Category and placed 21st overall. The Army Ranger Wing previously placed second in both 2011 and 2012.

#DefendProtectSupport

Image file photo of A.R.W training domestically. Names of the winning team will not be released for Operational Security reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Only just saw that. Fantastic achievement. Hope it is something that is highlighted within the PDF and built upon from a morale point of view. Traditonally, too often high achievement goes unnoticed and a valuable aid to learning, progression and pride is lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Do the Wing/ PDF compete in the USASOC comp annually? I know there are strong ties between based off personnel there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Congratulations to all concerned. This should be rightly recognised and applauded for the humongous achievement that it is.
    The only pity is that there will be no crowd of supporters to meet them at the airport when they return, nor will their names be published, given the nature of the wing that they belong to.

But they will know what they did forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭sparky42

Do the Wing/ PDF compete in the USASOC comp annually? I know there are strong ties between based off personnel there.

Have done for the last few years anyway, last year was a PDF team that did well (think they came second after the SAS in the International side) and the Wing were there for the years before that I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'd have given a month's worth of my pension to have been at the prize giving, just to see all those miserable faces that weren't Irish.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

tac foley wrote: »
    I'd have given a month's worth of my pension to have been at the prize giving, just to see all those miserable faces that weren't Irish.

tac

There were quite a few shocked and miserable faces in the Emerald Isle I'll bet, never mind the US of A.

:D

tac

I'd love to see what the home team was feeling after getting beaen out by the Wing, must have been epic for the lads.

There were quite a few shocked and miserable faces in the Emerald Isle I'll bet, never mind the US of A.

Sure I'm surprised we haven't had more PANA moaners complaining about this.

How so?

What a trophy to have on the wall. I'd like to think that the ARW get a nice congratulatory letter from the Prez, and a tanker-load of the black stuff they make down by the Liffey.

tac, proudly part-Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

How so?

What a trophy to have on the wall. I'd like to think that the ARW get a nice congratulatory letter from the Prez, and a tanker-load of the black stuff they make down by the Liffey.

tac, proudly part-Irish

Victoribus spolia........

jbw80jhdtB4SDu.jpg

YAY!

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Horse84

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/28050.aspx
    More good results here from abroad

The Cambrian Patrol competition is a KILLER - to earn a medal brings a whole new meaning to the word 'earn'.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've never envied the lads in my regiment who get picked for it though they've done well with a certificate this year. Got bronze a couple of years ago too. Think the DF team got silver that year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

how many soldiers would be part of the unit that does that exercise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

how many soldiers would be part of the unit that does that exercise?

The team sent over for the Cambrian Patrol is an 8 man patrol, 1 soldier as a substitute incase of injury in the early stages of the patrol, a Team Captain and a liason officer. So usually 10 or 11 lads, it varies slightly from year to year.

I've never envied the lads in my regiment who get picked for it though they've done well with a certificate this year. Got bronze a couple of years ago too. Think the DF team got silver that year.

That would've been 2013, we've entered teams for 3 years now. The team will come from the Unit who wins the DF Recce Concentration that year. The results so far have been as follows...

27 Bn - Silver (2013)
    6 Bn - Gold (2014)
    7 Bn - Gold (2015)

Our participation so far has shown that Irish troops can perform to a particularly high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

John Mongo wrote: »
    That would've been 2013, we've entered teams for 3 years now. The team will come from the Unit who wins the DF Recce Concentration that year. The results so far have been as follows...

27 Bn - Silver (2013)
    6 Bn - Gold (2014)
    7 Bn - Gold (2015)

Our participation so far has shown that Irish troops can perform to a particularly high level.

Is 7 Bn not a RDF unit?

earlytobed wrote: »
    Is 7 Bn not a RDF unit?

No.

Both PDF Infantry Battalions that were based in Dublin, 2 Bn and 5 Bn, were stood down in the Reorg and a new Dublin based Infantry Battalion was formed and based in Cathal Brugha Barracks. That is 7 Bn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement