Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debits failed.

Options
  • 23-10-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I have set up direct debits with BOI  but each direct debit has failed. (all with different companies- i have verified with the bank that the IBAN i have provided is valid. i also have mandate reference numbers. as far as i know, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a mandate reference without a valid IBAN 
    I have contacted BOI telephone banking about this issue but they have simply told me that company 1, 2, 3 , etc. is FILLING in the incorrect IBAN! which is causing the DD not to be processed. 
    these are houshold bills which have to be paid , but BOI have told me that they have no responsibility for the direct debits and that the companies are to blame for this. 
    BOI have stated that some of the biggest companies are responsibile for separately entering my IBAN / bic without caps lock!!

my treatment over this has been scandalous by BOI , a i have never received any written clarification of this despite REPEATED weekly calls to the bank. i had one callback during working hours but each phonecall has a waste of time . can somebody give an answer regarding an important banking issue? can my own bank give me an answer? or will they repeat that direct debits are "nothing to do with them"!!!
    how can a direct debit from my bank account have nothing to do with the bank?
    can i get an answer? this issue has been happening for over 2 months with no answer or explanation from my bank

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]  Choose a category  Account Issue  Billing / Payment  General Query  Other Issue  Technical  [/font]
    Notify me when I get a reply:[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]  Do not follow  No Updates  Instant email notification  Daily Updates  Weekly Updates  [/font]

You must select a category

Your question cannot be submmited if it contains images or URLs in an effort to combat spam.
    Post your q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

pinkles wrote: »
    as far as i know, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a mandate reference without a valid IBAN
    Incorrect, a Unique Mandate Reference (UMR) is assigned by the creditor. They are literally just references created by the company, they don't need any information to create one.
    BOI have told me that they have no responsibility for the direct debits and that the companies are to blame for this
    BOI are correct. Failed direct debits are between the creditor and the bank. The creditor submits the DD to the bank. If it fails, the bank provides information to them on why it failed. It's up to the creditor to correct the information, so you should be talking to the company

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

28064212 wrote: »
    as far as i know, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a mandate reference without a valid IBAN
    Incorrect, a Unique Mandate Reference (UMR) is assigned by the creditor. They are literally just references created by the company, they don't need any information to create one.
    BOI have told me that they have no responsibility for the direct debits and that the companies are to blame for this
    BOI are correct. Failed direct debits are between the creditor and the bank. The creditor submits the DD to the bank. If it fails, the bank provides information to them on why it failed. It's up to the creditor to correct the information, so you should be talking to the company
    the information cannot be "corrected" as it was the information verified as correct by the BANK! so the bank is telling me , yes, the details on the mandate you have with your companies are CORRECT...perfect, no problem = when they refuse the direct debit it is somehow a campanies fault? are you telling me that three different companies can all make errors inputing IBANS onto a direct debit mandate? (these ibans were already verified as correct by the bank?!!
    what to do? it has taken me two months to get even a reply from my own bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

the information cannot be "corrected" as it was the information verified as correct by the BANK! so the bank is telling me , yes, the details on the mandate you have with your companies are CORRECT...perfect, no problem = when they refuse the direct debit it is somehow a campanies fault? are you telling me that three different companies can all make errors inputing IBANS onto a direct debit mandate? (these ibans were already verified as correct by the bank?!!
    The "mandate" is not what is submitted to the bank. The company submits a file. If the details in the file are incorrect, the company gets told exactly what the problem is. You need to get the company to find out what the exact error is and what the exact details are that they're submitting

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

28064212 wrote: »
    Good Morning pinkles, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie and we are very sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty with recent Direct Debits. 

We are sorry to repeat what our colleagues have advised you on the phone however, a Direct Debit is an agreement between yourself and the company and we as your bank simply facilitate the deduction once the details on the file are correct.  

If this instruction is returned by ourselves, we will notify the originator as to why. As 28064212 correctly mentioned, you will need to contact the companies to query the reason for the failed Direct Debits. The companies should also be able to confirm the paying details to you in writing, which may help explain why this has happened. For your own clarification, you can check your IBAN details here

Again, we're sorry that we're unable to provide you with further clarification on this however, this is really the originators responsibility to do so. 

If we can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement