Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic and buying used cars

Options
  • 23-10-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    I am going to look at a car on sunday. its a private sale and i want to bring a mechanic along to check it out. Is it possible to get a mechanic to look at something on a sunday? I work everyday during the week so wont be able to view during business hours. also what would they charge?

Any info or experience you have had would be helpful.
    Thanks

Also if anybody is a mechanic around the slane area give me a shout :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Post a link to the ad. You can tell a lot from the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dan fnuts

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Post a link to the ad. You can tell a lot from the ad.

https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica-t-sport-vvtl-i/10690654

Worth knowing

VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 04D74523
    Vehicle Details TOYOTA / CELICA
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to an Individual on :

Notified on : 26/08/2015

01/09/2015
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 03/09/2015

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grimmys

colm_mcm wrote:
    01/09/2015 Vehicle Registration Certificate Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 03/09/2015

colm_mcm wrote:

colm_mcm wrote:
    VEHICLE Vehicle Registration Number 04D74523 Vehicle Details TOYOTA / CELICA Change Of Vehicle Ownership Transferred to an Individual on :

How can you get this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

"is not a jap import" but a UK import.

• Advertisement

Worth knowing

VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 04D74523
    Vehicle Details TOYOTA / CELICA
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to an Individual on :

01/09/2015
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 03/09/2015

Thanks for finding that. so the guy has only had it since august. that a bad sign?

Which explains why it's registered as 140bhp

How do you tell?

Dan fnuts wrote: »
    Thanks for finding that. so the guy has only had it since august. that a bad sign?

Nothing wrong with buying and selling cars, but it could be because it's not a good car, there are other possible genuine reasons too.
    What I don't like about buying from someone that flips cars is that you can't get any idea from how the car has been treated. They can't answer questions about maintains de jobs done etc.

Which explains why it's registered as 140bhp

i don't understand why its registered as a 140. could you please explain the link between being a UK import and registered as a 140 when its a t - sport (190)

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with buying and selling cars, but it could be because it's not a good car, there are other possible genuine reasons too.
    What I don't like about buying from someone that flips cars is that you can't get any idea from how the car has been treated. They can't answer questions about maintains de jobs done etc.

yeah i know what you mean. Thats why i would like tto have a mechanic along with me. they would know better the condition of the car than i would

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

How do you tell?

Motorcheck.ie

tlU8ioU.jpg

i don't understand why its registered as a 140. could you please explain the link between being a UK import and registered as a 140 when its a t - sport (190)

Dodgy declaration to get cheaper vrt is my bet. Or genuine mistake in the vrt office of course...

grimmys wrote: »
    How can you get this info?

Motortax.ie

Dodgy declaration to get cheaper vrt is my bet. Or genuine mistake in the vrt office of course...

Colm, you are deadly at sourcing information! think that would cause problems with insurance if their was a crash?

If you insured it as 140bhp then there would be.

If you insured it as 140bhp then there would be.

damn. i wonder if telling the insurance company that its a t-sport and not 140 will resolve things or open a can of worms

As long as it's insured as what it is then you'd be fine.

As long as it's insured as what it is then you'd be fine.

Colm you are a wealth of information. Thanks for telling me all this stuff. you wouldn't know any mechanics around the navan/slane area by any chance?

I don't I'm afraid. The best approach is do your homework before going to see a car, then go see it, drive it. Only if you actually like it and are going to buy the car do you get a mechanic out.

• Advertisement

I don't I'm afraid. The best approach is do your homework before going to see a car, then go see it, drive it. Only if you actually like it and are going to buy the car do you get a mechanic out.

alright, cool. I will do some more research then. Thanks Colm

Have you driven other celicas? Priced insurance?

Have you driven other celicas? Priced insurance?

Yeah i priced the insurance using the reg. No, I haven't driven a celica before.

Maybe try a reg of a 190 and see if the insurance is much more.

Maybe try a reg of a 190 and see if the insurance is much more.

checked the reg of a 140, a t sport and 190. The 140 and t sport were roughly the same price and the 190 was almost double the price of the 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

The 2 most recent owners including the current owner had the car for less than 2 months, buyer beware.....
    Also if you insure the car as a 140 bhp model when it's clearly a 190 bhp, you're insurance company can refuse to pay out on any claims and at any point you're insurance can be declared invalid as you failed to declare full accurate information about the car when you purchased the policy. That fact that seller uses this as a selling point would make me definitely look elsewhere.

checked the reg of a 140, a t sport and 190. The 140 and t sport were roughly the same price and the 190 was almost double the price of the 140.

190 = UK model T sport.
    Ie what you're looking at. Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

AFAIK....
    There are a few quick checks to see which one.
    - Rev counter. 7k red line is 140, 8k red line is the 190
    - Engine, rocker cover, VVTi = 140, VVTLi = 190

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

UK 190s are handy insured. Mine was only €70 a year more than my 1.4 corolla to insure and there was no song and dance like there would have been if it was a japanese import.

I reckon the car in the OP is a 140

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I reckon the car in the OP is a 140

Im thinking that too, but AFAIK the 190's speedo goes to 160mph, the 140's go to 150mph. That has the 160mph clock. However, the clocks could have been swapped to comply with UK laws if its a jap!

Advertisement