Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a usb video card for laptops

Options
  • 23-10-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Is it possible? If so how gud and where can u buy them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

You certainly can, just search your favourite e-commerce site (Amazon, Newegg etc) and pick one out. You'd have to specify which display connector you need (VGA, DVI, HDMI, Displayport and so on...) and which USB type (2.0 or if your system has the ports, preferably 3.0).

They're intended to be used for office mutli-monitor setups, so don't expect to play games or even video files well on these types of cards. This can vary, so do plenty of research before you buy.

I don't use them myself so I wouldn't be able to recommend a make or model.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mecdor

I don't need it for extra monitors- just to overide the on board graphics on my laptop so i can play better games on it. I googled and only found ones for adding a monitor which i dont want. tanx ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, but not for that purpose. They're extremely low power, often non accelerated for 3d

k thanx L1011 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Sell your laptop,
    buy one with 200meg vram video card ,at least .
    buy from a shop or from adverts.ie ,
    Putting extra ram inside the laptop can help ,
    but games need a certain amount of video ram ,
    see minumum requirements video ram ,vidoe card type .
    Make sure it has windows 7 or 8 installed on it .

See specs like this in the laptop you might buy ,
    PROCESSOR: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 2.7 GHz)
    MEMORY (RAM): 2 GB
    HARD DRIVE: 20 GB free space
    DISC DRIVE: DVD-ROM (not needed for download version)
    GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DirectX 10.1 compatible with 512 MB RAM (ATI Radeon 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 series, with ATI Radeon 3870 or higher performance)
    GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 series with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher performance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What games do you want to play OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

One other possibility would be to purchase an external graphics card adapter, for example see this article - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

However, it's a very expensive and time consuming setup. By the end, the result isn't particularly portable, it needs an external power supply and you also need to supply your own graphics card. Frankly (in my opinion), that time, money and effort would be much better spent put into a decent desktop gaming PC.

games i wud like to play are:

dont starve
    titan quest
    FTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're far better off just buying a new laptop. You can get i3-4GB-GT840M laptops on Ebay/Amazon new for about €450 and will play those games very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get a laptop with a nvidia,or ati card , on adverts.ie
    if you cant afford to buy a new laptop .
    not intel 100meg vram.cpu at least 2.oghz dual core ,
    see what are the recommended specs are for ftl, dont starve .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

It's technically possible but it simply won't be an adequate solution. You will be limited to the date rate of the usb specification. Unless your on usb 3 which is much faster. And hence more expensive. If they exist, I dunno. USB sound cards will work well but that's just because the data rate of the audio files are much lower than for high data rate video. You simply have to buy a better laptop with dedicated internal graphics card.

Advertisement