Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 27th in terms of digital infrastructure - internet speed and availabilit

Options
  • 23-10-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Dublin, (as well as other cities and beyond) have a creaking, over-priced, dated, over contented, internet infrastructure. A state based on a 12.5% corporate income tax rate, which only lures second-rate jobs for the most part, which has little else to offer in terms of infrastructure for business start-ups etc. Not to mention zero capital formation.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/2015/10/22/dublin-ranks-8th-in-european-digital-city-index

"However, Dublin’s lowest-ranked theme was digital infrastructure, which ranked 27th, with considerable criticism of our mobile internet speed and availability of fibre broadband and only marginally better reviews for the cost of broadband and internet speeds through broadband."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I have a 240Mb/s connection in my gaff that I'm paying €45 a month for. From what I hear from my overseas compatriots, this beats the majority of the civilised world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

I have a 240Mb/s connection in my gaff that I'm paying €45 a month for. From what I hear from my overseas compatriots, this beats the majority of the civilised world.

That smells of "I'm all right Jack". You may be satisfied with that, but if it is anything like the UPC service I know, it is heavily contented (a large number of households sharing the same 240 Mbits/sec of bandwidth) which leads to slow page fills and other issues. Anyway it is irrelevant in the context of wide-scale availability of good quality bandwidth at low cost for visitors. Mobile broadband speeds are appalling and patchy. Hotel broadband is generally poor. The inability of the RDS to provide decent WiFi to a dense number of people was one of the main reasons for the Dublin Web Summit transitioning to the "Lisbon Web Summit". VoIP phone operators based in Ireland provide low voice quality to European and international destinations (low bandwidth).

You need to impress people before you find large numbers making decisions to base their inter-net hungry start-ups in Ireland, or getting existing companies to base a larger portion of their business cycle in Ireland. Adopting an I'm all right Jack approach is second-rate complacency.

Ireland has some of the cheapest international bandwidth landing on the island in the world. This is not being taken advantage of - except by very large users with data centres (eg Amazon AWS, Microsoft). Mobile phone costs are very high. International internet bandwidth is slow (ie the real bits sec - not just the speedtest.net from your provider's platform) - because it is over contented.

Monaco has 1 GBbits/sec internet and phone for EUR 49.90 including unlimited phone calls to landline and mobile numbers in Monaco and France. For another EUR 15, you get unlimited calls to the rest of Europe. https://www.monaco-telecom.mc/fr/internet-voix.html On mobile, you will shortly get 4G++ on Monaco Telecom (which will provide about 350 Mibits/sec under real-world conditions). We are still waiting for G4++ phones, which are imminent. The supply of mobile phones (especially non-networked locked phones) is very poor. At the moment you get about 90 Mbits/sec on a Galaxy Note 4 from Monaco Telecom. Monaco has direct fibre links to Asia and many European countries along the Mediterranean and Atlantic coastline. Until last month every fibre optic connection from Ireland went through Britain - a "non-strategy" which provides no security to the country.

https://digitalcityindex.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Impetus wrote:
    The inability of the RDS to provide decent WiFi to a dense number of people was one of the main reasons for the Dublin Web Summit ...

Not quite true, the RDS could have, but Paddy C didn't want to pay for that package

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

jd wrote: »
    Not quite true, the RDS could have, but Paddy C didn't want to pay for that package

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

In fairness, when you dig into the statistics you see how meaningless some of them are to enterprise: Dublin scores low on mobile broadband speed, which to be fair is fairly poor and fibre broadband availability.

To be honest the speed of a mobile broadband connection is not going to have any impact on startups - mobile broadband applications are at the consumer not enterprise level (unless the target market is local). The second statistic in the matrix is fibre broadband availability, which is measured through live connections at present. If any office in Dublin wanted a fibre connection, it would be available to them, yet Dublin scores low based upon, again, on what is available and taken up by the the consumer.

A more meaningful measure for the suitability of internet infrastructure for economic growth is the available speed to enterprise and the cost per Mbit/sec. Dublin, I would imagine would score reasonably in these categories.

Advertisement