Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First rifle

Options
  • 23-10-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Well, I was just wondering what would the best rifle to get im 16 and have my shotgun lisence a few months. I would be using it for foxes , rabbits and crows. Would a magnum, hornet or .17hmr be the best. Also how much would one with a scope and silencer cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Well lad

If you are concerned about the cost of shooting a .22lr is pretty cheap to run Federal Bulk boxes of 525 rounds are 35-40 euros and more accurate stuff running at only 7 or 8 euro for 50 rounds.
    Range on vermin is about 80 to 100 yards on small vermin and about 40-50 yards on foxes.Subsonic ammo can be got for a .22lr which makes it as quite as a air rifle handy when shooting rabbits you can shoot a couple in quick succession.

If you want a bit more range a 17HMR is more accurate at longer distances and has a range on small game of about 150 yards and about 100 yards on foxes but ammo is a bit more expensive at 17-20 euro for a box of 50!

If you want something to shoot around 300 yards you would want a centrefire like a 223 or 204 but ammo is 30-50 euros for a box of 50!

I have a CZ 452 in .22lr very accurate bolt action rifle!You can get a CZ 452 or 455 with scope and silencer for about 400-500 second hand and 550-800 brand new!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I got my Cz 455 .22 with scope for €650 brand new in Gillilands in lough egish. There is a similar one on sportsmen.ie website if you want to have a look. I paid €80 for a decent enough moderator. Bear in mind you will need a safe for a rifle so that's another cost roughly about €150 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cavanshooter

Thanks for the replies. I think I might go for a .17 hmr. I already have a gun cabnit for the shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thomas Drennan

Don't want to sound like a no all but .17 is by far a better rifle than the 22 don't want to offend anyone but I had a 22 and have a .17 a few years now they are gust amazing so accurate and plenty of kill out for rabbits a small vermin but a bit light for foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thomas Drennan

Excuse my spelling mistake my phone sometimes makes it own decisions on what to put in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Don't want to sound like a no all but .17 is by far a better rifle than the 22 don't want to offend anyone but I had a 22 and have a .17 a few years now they are gust amazing so accurate and plenty of kill out for rabbits a small vermin but a bit light for foxes

It's horses for courses really.

A .17 has a greater range but is more expensive to feed and you can't use it in target shooting competitions. Yes, you can use it for plinking on the range and technically that is target shooting, but you are limited in what you can do with it.

For foxes and rabbits, the .17 is better as it gives you a greater range, flatter shooting etc.

It depends on what you want to do more of, hunting or target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

I've both .22 and .17hmr and If I had to pick 1 to hold onto I honestly couldn't. With the .22 obviously its cheap as chips to shoot, there's a massive range of ammo. Its an essential piece of kit for vermin control and also (like all firearms) tremendous fun to target shoot with, especially when testing your abilities at 150 or 200 yards ! Also if you're granted permission to use a sound moderator , with the use of subsonic ammunition you just hear the trigger pull and bullet impact - deadly for vermin control ! One last point on the .22 - this being your first rifle and all , you'll be able to learn all about bullet drop/windage etc. Its a fantastic first rifle and once you get to understand the way things work with ballistics you may want to get yourself a larger calibre for foxes/deer or targets. Things will be a hell of a lot easier to understand because with the .22 you'll be able to shoot till the cows come home and not break the bank.

Just to add , I've taken more foxes with my .22 than I have with any other rifle I have. Its always with me when checking the traps , feeding the pheasants etc.

Advertisement