Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Scarlet, had an off in front of Gardai!

• 23-10-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Let me paint the picture, decided to go down to kish fish in smithfield for tomorrows fish pie. Was only going to be in there for about 10 mins and would normally not lock the bike, but on this occasion locked the front disc.
    10 mins later having bought my fish, a squad car pulls up beside and parks on the other side (of the cobbled ) road. So, I'm thinkin, what have I done? Anyway the guards ignore me and go down to place where they give homeless people food; deadly, pure coincidence they pulled in as I was shooting off.
    Rev up and go!
    Fúckin U lock on the front wheel, over I went, It was in slow mo, there comes a time when you know the weight of the bike is gonna bring you down, but there is also a point where you think you got it, but you don't, and bike gets laid slowly to the ground, with the revs in the red zone before you knock it off.
    Anyway the guard, came over and gave me a hand lifting
    it off the ground to upright.

That Guard was sound, he didn't even laugh when I came off:D

Scarlet though:pac:

TLTR : nice one Garda dude that helped me pick up my bike off the ground

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Did it myself the other day pulling away from my daughters house, gave her a fright watching me but lucky enough I was pulling away pretty gentle.

I try and put the lock as close to the impact point as possible so if you do forget there is little or no momentum. The locks with the stretchy cable that you loop onto the throttle are best or failing that hang anything (lanyard, bootlace, sticky tape) onto the bar to remind you. It is a horrible feeling..... KACHUNG!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Only happened to me yesterday as well. I was standing there talking to a friend about forgetting his disc lock on his front disc this one time, laughing and joking. Eventually after about 5 minutes I get on and go to pull away and the back wheel locks up after a couple of feet. Luckily I was gentle taking off. Always afraid ill do some serious damage. Really need to pay more attention but sometimes you just get caught up in other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Happened to me a few times, and every time I promise to purchase myself a 'dope rope' to remind me it's on.

But last Christmas it was almost fatal!.. Heading off on a charity run from the Gypsy Rose on Aston Quay and I forgot the disc lock was on.

Over I went, but my pillion passenger rolled out in front of a bus ~ it still scares me when I think about it.

F*cking disc locks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FKN hell....did he even ask you if you owned the bike....ffs what am i payin his wages for...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

FKN hell....did he even ask you if you owned the bike....ffs what am i payin his wages for...:rolleyes:

You were paying the wages of the other garda whose day off it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

After going out to pick up my brothers bike after he did a huge whellie away from a friends house with the disc lock still on I always make sure I have to back out if I use the disc lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Our Gardaí are intelligent enough to know the difference between an owner dropping their bike and a scumbag trying to steal a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^
    After all, the keys were in the ignition and I had a separate key ring for the kryponite lock. So as said in my op, cheers guarda dude!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

It was in slow mo, there comes a time when you know the weight of the bike is gonna bring you down, but there is also a point where you think you got it, but you don't, and bike gets laid slowly to the ground,

I was trying to impress the lads outside the chipper many years ago doing a slow full lock U turn with feet on the pegs on my GPZ600R and it keels over.... all I could do was hold it halfway to stop it hitting the deck...... lucky enough the bright country lads immediately recognised my predicament and ran over and lifted it perpendicular.

Bikes get heavy trying to hold at 45 degrees when stationary!! :D

Advertisement