Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cz 512 Magnum

Options
  • 23-10-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Well lads, any of ye used this rifle or know of any dealers with one in stock to view?

Or if anyone has used the .22lr model how did ye find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

Bump
    Lads nobody own one???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's a fairly "unpopular" caliber. By that i mean there are much better out there in terms of caliber, performance, ballistics, resale value, etc.

I've seen lads selling magnums with scope, rings, suppressor, case, ammo, etc. all in top condition for €200 or less. The hmr has pretty much done it in, and with the popularity growing of other calibers such as the .17 Hornet, and the ever lasting popularity of the .204 and .223 it's hard to justify a rifle/caliber that is limited and under powered when compared to the others.

Are you after one or considering one?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Considering getting one.

I have just sold my .223 which wasn't getting much use on foxes as our gun club hold fox shoots during winter so the shotgun gets used there.

I have a Cz 452 .22 that i use alot on rabbits and i have a place where i can sell the rabbit meat so ammo pays for itself.

Now i'm thinking i'd like to get a semi auto and maybe get rid of the bolt action as i never really shoot huge distances so accuracy won't be a problem, and we all know a semi auto is more fun on a day out of plinking.

Thats where i would settle with the .22 semi auto but i would like to get the magnum for the chances where a fox does come out and the magnum has the required power to knock him.

If it's what you want then go for it. No point in going for something you do't want or a caliber that does not suit.

I would say one thing though. At 100 yards the 22 (using hyper velocity) has half the impact energy of the magnum. Sounds like a lot but when you are talking about (roughly) 65-70 ft/lb of the .22 compared to 150 - 160 f/lb of the magnum it's not substantial.

All you can do, if you're undecided is make a list. On it write down what you want to shoot, the distances, game being targeted, etc. Then list the calibers that would work. Beside the caliber write the pros and cons. For example:

.17hmr
    • Pros - Powerful enough for rabbits and foxes, good range, easy to buy, good resale.
    • Cons - Not available in semi auto (not readily or ever that i've seen), Fairly devastating on rabbits (meat damage), cannot be used in most range comps (if thats something you might consider)

.22 magnum
    • Pros - Good for small game and foxes, decent range, available in semi auto, does not cause as much meat damage
    • Cons - Poor resale, not as long range as a .223/hmr, etc,

.22lr
    • Pros - Cheap to buy, cheap to run, easy to buy, easy to sell, popular caliber, available in semi auto, good for range comps, little meat damage
    • Cons - Short range effectiveness, not good/recommended on foxes past 80 yards,
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thats a good way of looking at it!

i'd probly end up happy with either a .22lr or .22 magnum but i'll have a look around and see whats for sale.

Who knows maybe i'll keep the .22 and just get a semi auto magnum to add to the collection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

know a gun dealer who has closed that has a 22magum semi auto going at right money pm me your number and i will give you his number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

If you're going to shoot rabbits with a magnum and sell the meat, you will have to headshot them, as the meat damage is substantial compared to .22LR.

A friend had a CZ 22 Mag briefly, he hated having to clean it from the muzzle, as the design necessitates. He knew the dangers of damaging the crown, leading to reduced accuracy.

Took him a few years to move it, too - was in RFD after he bought a 223.

.22LR bolt hard to beat and a Stinger in the right place dropped plenty of foxes for me (but it has to be heart or head). Would go Velocitor nowadays over the Stinger - nearly same energy, but no copper fouling.

Also, in response to Cass earlier, think there is .17HMR conversion of Ruger 10/22 in the States, never seen one here. Heavier bolt and new barrel. HMR destroys the meat even worse than Magnum.

just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a Remington 597 Magnum and must say when I had it using cci maxi mag + V I shot and collected as many foxes out to 120 yards as I get with my hornet (CZ ).

yubabill1 wrote: »
    HMR destroys the meat even worse than Magnum.
    Yup. Devastating on rabbits.

However for the purpose of the OPs choice i think a hmr would be preferable to a magnum for all the reasons above. Not saying its the right choice, but better than the magnum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I had a Remington 597 Magnum and must say when I had it using cci maxi mag + V I shot and collected as many foxes out to 120 yards as I get with my hornet (CZ ).

Any idea what speed the cci maxi mag travels at cavan shooter.Also what weight of bullet you were using.They are available in 30gr and 40 gr I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Any idea what speed the cci maxi mag travels at cavan shooter.Also what weight of bullet you were using.They are available in 30gr and 40 gr I think.

40 gr about 1875 , 30 gr 2200 all ft/sec. (at muzzel) As much as possible I used 30gr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

40 gr about 1875 , 30 gr 2200 all ft/sec. (at muzzel) As much as possible I used 30gr

Any idea as to how much they drop at 120 yds.Is it easy to get the 30gr bullet.

Advertisement