Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My .243 Rifle hates 95 grain.

Options
  • 23-10-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I wasn't happy with the performance of my sako 243 at distances over a hundred yards and was blaming myself. I bought a 4 different grain weight to see if it might of been the rifle preference for different grain weights. I went to my usual spot for zeroing in my gun but it was way to windy so I had to settle for the back of a ditch and of the bonnet of my van so I had a few wild shots. I fired 5 rounds from each box and gave the gun 10 minutes to cool down between each set of 5. The best grouping was from the 75 and 80 grain and the worst was from the 95 grain ballistic tip boat tail with the 100 grain throwing out the odd sloppy round. I should of tried this out year's ago. The bigger holes are just nail holes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sako in 243 are usually 1:10 twist. Usually a tad slow for the heavy end spectrum of rounds however I got my best results with the Fed 95gr nosler BT in a 1:10 twist RPA and then in my Sako A7. It shot from both rifles perfectly and consistently.

I also got excellent results fromt eh 58 gr v-Max but they were like hen's teeth to find so i stuck with the Feds.

Perhaps another test on a more stable platform would yield better results, however it's hard to see that happen given the group sizes above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I've the same thing in my sako 243. Doesn't really like 95gr of any kind and is happiest when fed a diet of 75gr Norma and 80gr fed softpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

I've the same thing in my sako 243. Doesn't really like 95gr of any kind and is happiest when fed a diet of 75gr Norma and 80gr fed softpoints.

Buddy of mine has a Bruno 243 and it loves the 95 grain

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

Have you had the rifle long

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

welsummer wrote: »
    Buddy of mine has a Bruno 243 and it loves the 95 grain

I don't mine not liking the 95gr cause the price of them is gone up over €40 a box so happy to spend €30 on the federals or €33 on the Norma's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭iand220

I have a rem 700 .243 and she will throw 95 grain rounds all over the place, cannot get it to group at all. Had been using 80 grain Remington express with great success but can't get them at the minute in my local dealers unfortunately

Advertisement