Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New biker, looking at CBR125

• 24-10-2015 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Haven't done much research apart from looking at a few bikes

Can any of you link me to some good used deals? (on adverts.ie or donedeal.ie)

Also, how much would insurance and tax be for someone like me? I plan on getting a bike as soon as I turn 16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Forget about anything with an "R" in it. You will get raped on insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

At 16 you're going to get nailed on insurance regardless. Dont be surprised if you end up paying over double the price of the bike on insurance. You'll also find many will not want to insure you.

Have a look at the cbf125, gn125, ybr, and the honda cg

Should be able to pick up one of them under €1k. Make sure to get an insurance quote before you buy the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Honda varadero 125 is what I'd be looking at. The absolute best 125cc bike. As said above anything with an R in the name will cost you a fortune.

When I was 16 insurance prices forced me onto a moped for my first year. Wasn't as bad I thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You'll be shafted on prices at 16. I'd be surprised if you're not on a push bike still this time next year. Ring the insurance companies and price a 125 and a 50 before you do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gillenation

I found a venteraro for 1k. Not much point in me ringing up insurance companies yet. Not turning 16 until next summer. I'm just so excited :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I found a venteraro for 1k. Not much point in me ringing up insurance companies yet. Not turning 16 until next summer. I'm just so excited :)

Ring them anyway. Tell them you're 16 now, at least you'll get a quote and a rough idea how much you might need to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Why is third party insurance for a bike so expensive? A bike can cause little harm to anybody else and if rider and pillion aren't covered where's the risk?
    I pay four times the premium I would pay in the UK for the same bike that I ride here. Nearly 40 years driving without a claim.

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Why is third party insurance for a bike so expensive? A bike can cause little harm to anybody else and if rider and pillion aren't covered where's the risk?
    I pay four times the premium I would pay in the UK for the same bike that I ride here. Nearly 40 years driving without a claim.

I just plan on getting the cheapest insurance I can find, I don't want any special coverage or anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

You will out grow a 125 after the first week, consider getting a few more ccs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

^^ How is a 16-year-old going to get insured on anything above 125cc?

• Advertisement

You will out grow a 125 after the first week, consider getting a few more ccs.

I can only legally get a max of 125cc because I'm not old enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

Just my 2cents on the subject. I was 16 when I started nearly a year and a half ago. Tried getting a few quotes on a few different bikes even though I already had my bike, just wanted to get an idea. The only insurance company in Ireland that will insure a 16 year old on a bike is Liberty and Axa. Axa will apparently insure a 16 year old yet refused to quote me on my Suzuki GZ125 Marauder nevermind anything with an R in it. Liberty on the other hand, refused to quote on a Yamaha R125, Honda CBR 125 and Aprilia RS125 Restricted on their online quoting system and all said to ring them for a quote. Eventually got my quote for my GZ125, at €944 Third Party Only. So went and done a Liberty insurance assessment in which I got a Grade B, when I presented this to Liberty they dropped from €944 down to €728.

Not trying to "wreck your buzz" or anything, but this is coming from someone who was in your position not too long ago and just nip it in the bud with the idea of getting a 125 sport style bike. Get yourself something like a GN or a GZ or something of that calibre for the first year and then if you're still itching at getting a CBR, go for it after a year experience without any claims. Insurance will be much happier to find you went onto a slowcoach for the first year to get your grips on riding a bike and then went up the ladder to a sports style. They'll still destroy you with a quote but nonetheless won't be half as bad as the first year. My insurance went down from €728 on my first year down to €322 for my second year with liberty, some of the other companies were looking for over a thousand for my second year. And after learning how to ride my little 125 and having been on the back of bikes for 6 years before I started riding my own, I'm now a lot more confident to go onto a bigger bike. I'm going onto a Honda Deauville 650 in a few months please god and liberty told me that because the route I took, I'll have no problem at 18 getting a quote on the 650.

My advice, do plenty of research on insurance before buying a bike, invest in good IBT with a reputable trainer and possibly some extra lessons on top of that and then get yourself insured and more importantly remain vigilant and stay safe. The next few months will be the longest of your life but they'll be worth it in the end! Stay in touch with us good folk on boards and any other questions be sure to post! Welcome to the biker community ;)

Advertisement