Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cheap LED lights

Options
  • 24-10-2015 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/K64qk6UqFj0

I've seen some fairly poor quality LED Christmas tree lights in recent years. What surprised me most about them was the length of the cables and how thin the conductors on some are.

I found the above YouTube clip and the guy carries out a nice little test on them.

He demonstrates the high resistance of the cable and explains why a domestic mcb feeding a socket circuit would not trip if the end of the cable was shorted.

However its worth noting that in this case the cable burns out and goes open circuit acting like fuse wire, it smokes up badly before hand though.

It's worth a look all the same particularly when you consider the amount of times you see these sets with a nest of slack hidden behind a tree.

Advertisement