Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a 3 sim in Dublin airport?

Options
  • 24-10-2015 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

I am flying in to Dublin airport and need to pick up a sim primarily for data for a few days in Ireland and then another few days in the UK.

I am guessing that my best option is to get a 3 payg sim and top up by €20 to get all you can eat data? I'm assuming 3 still have "three like home" data roaming on payg?

Or is there a cheaper option? I only need about 1Gb of data over 1 week in Ireland and UK.

As it will be after 6pm when I arrive in Dublin this evening I can't make it to the nearest 3 store in Omni, do any of the shops in the airport sell 3 payg sim packs?

I tried chatting with an agent on the 3 website but they were completely useless.

Thanks for any help.

invest4deepvalue.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Do-more wrote: »
    I am flying in to Dublin airport and need to pick up a sim primarily for data for a few days in Ireland and then another few days in the UK.

I am guessing that my best option is to get a 3 payg sim and top up by €20 to get all you can eat data? I'm assuming 3 still have "three like home" data roaming on payg?

Or is there a cheaper option? I only need about 1Gb of data over 1 week in Ireland and UK.

As it will be after 6pm when I arrive in Dublin this evening I can't make it to the nearest 3 store in Omni, do any of the shops in the airport sell 3 payg sim packs?

I tried chatting with an agent on the 3 website but they were completely useless.

Thanks for any help.

Pick up a Meteor SIM for €10 - 7.5GB data for use over 30 days. Although this tariff doesn't let you use Meteor's 4G network, Meteor's 3G is still a far superior network to Three. If you pay €20 you can use their 4G also. The SPAR convenience shops in Dublin airport sometimes have SIM cards.

Meteor have a couple of roaming packages which will work well for the days you are in UK. 99c for 50MB per day is probably your best option - or €14.99 if you want 1GB over 30 days. If you are in UK for less than 5 days and can live with 50MB per day, then a €5 top-up on your €10 Meteor SIM will give you UK & Ireland for €15.

Meteor's roaming tariff will also work on all networks in UK, whereas Three like home tariff only works on Three - and Three also have the worst coverage in UK. If you accidentally roam off Three with roam-like-home you will default to a penal rate of 25c per MB(€250 per GB!).

Three's network in Ireland has gone into meltdown since they switched off the roaming agreement they used to have with Vodafone, and overloaded the network with former O2 customers when O2 shut down earlier in the year. Also avoid any of the piggy-back services that use the Three network - Lyca, 48 etc. Meteor and Vodafone are the best networks to use in Ireland.

Advertisement